It Finally Happened: Keanu to Play Spike in Cowboy Bebop

The Damned

lmao. Keanu from his role in Constantine. Now that was a role he could really get into. I actually read some of the comics. Sick stuff. He was perfect for that role.

That photoshop work is horrible, but you can almost see Spike in that picture. I think at least in looks he could pull it off, but I am worried about his ability to act the part. I think Keanu is a pretty good actor (when it comes to being himself-he doesn't have much range) but maybe he'll be able to land it.

Like many others, I'm more worried about other aspects of this film. The music is most important to me. It's my fave of all anime sountracks out there, or ever will be most likely.

This movie won't ruin things for me. Shouldn't ruin things for anyone, if they don't let it. We'll just have to wait for some trailers. I might go to see this movie just to laugh at it.

Your right Dyne. Shiro Sagisu did his best and made a worth while score.

He also did the music for Bleach too.

BET YA DIDN"T KNOW THAT DIDJA?? (Not directed at anybody in general)

Actually, I did know that. :) Bleach is one of my favorite series, save for all the filler just like Naruto. I like them both, but I watch the dubbed, and there's nothing wrong with it. As a matter of fact, I checked out Angelic Layer one time, my best friend gave me this fan-subbed set, and I watched that. The anime itself isn't bad, but the subtitles could've used a bit more spelling correction and possibly grammar correction. Otherwise, great series.

Still if I'm casting for in the worst in the tradition of Hollywood I'd think it'd look like this:

Jett: Sylvestor Stallone

Fey: Paris Hilton

Ed: Shia LeBeouf

Ein: Gilbert Gottfried

Vicious: Ice Cube

Julia: Renee Zellweger

Ugh. I don't understand why it's getting so popular to bash Shia. I think he's a rather capable actor, and I don't really see why he's catching any flak for his roles...:?

Actually, I did know that. :) Bleach is one of my favorite series, save for all the filler just like Naruto. I like them both, but I watch the dubbed, and there's nothing wrong with it. As a matter of fact, I checked out Angelic Layer one time, my best friend gave me this fan-subbed set, and I watched that. The anime itself isn't bad, but the subtitles could've used a bit more spelling correction and possibly grammar correction. Otherwise, great series.

That's because a lot of fansubbers rush the subbing so they can get "FIRST!". It's kind of like a shitty race, except that the guys that coming somewhere around the middle are the winners. They usually have better source videos, translations, fonts and spelling.

I've actually downloaded fansubs, stopped watching part way through, and deleted them because the subbing was just so bad.

There's some decently done youtube rant about fansubbing groups I recall seeing here months ago that covered most of this, and while it was kind of nerdy to bitch about subbing, he did raise some valid points about presentation (the use of stylized fonts and color choices) and taking liberties with the dialog and leaving words and phrases in Japanese when it's not necessary.

lmao. Keanu from his role in Constantine. Now that was a role he could really get into. I actually read some of the comics. Sick stuff. He was perfect for that role.

?????

I highly disagree, good sir. John Constantine was a blond, British, devil-may-care scoundrel, not a black haired California surfer dude who moonlighted as a professional brooder.

I haven't read too much HellBlazer itself, but Keanu was definitely wrong for the role. They changed the role for him, which isn't the worst thing ever, but still.

Speaking of changing roles, I don't really think most of the characters would work as movie characters as they did in the show. Somebody (Jam Stunna maybe) brought up a good point in that much of the character development in the show comes from what the characters don't say, rather than what they do. That rarely works in a movie, especially an action movie.

They could make something of a variation on the show with a few changes to the roles; Faye could work, unfortunately, as a fairly cliche femme fatale, and they could hint at something more with some carefully scripted dialogue. Honestly, if they could get her, I think Angelina Jolie would do the part well. If not, maybe Helena Bonham Carter? Think Marla Singer in space.

Jet actually works pretty well in a movie, they just have to again make him more stereotypical gruff old guy with a past. Ron Perlman?

Ed is too damn weird for a standard movie format. Not too bad would be simply a playful girl genius. Dakota Fanning sounds alright to me. A perfect match would probably be an unknown though, and that sounds more doable.

Spike is difficult, at best. They can't sacrifice his humor, and they can't get rid of his seriousness either, or else the character's got no depth, and therefore a shitty centerpiece for a movie. I think Knocking of Heaven's Door did a good job of showing both sides, so follow its lead I guess. Jim Carrey? I know, his humor is usually too broad, but tone him down closer to his serious roles (Eternal Sunshine, Man on the Moon,) and he could just work. Plus, he's tall and lanky. The only problem is how to pull off action scenes.

If they do okay, I'll be alright with it. I'm not going to get my hopes up, and this movie won't affect my love for the series.

Faye could work, unfortunately, as a fairly cliche femme fatale, and they could hint at something more with some carefully scripted dialogue. Honestly, if they could get her, I think Angelina Jolie would do the part well.
The problem with casting Faye is that she's not a sex symbol, strictly speaking.

Faye's character is awkward. She's Alice after falling through the Looking Glass. It's decades later, she's aged, she has no contact with her past, and she has no idea what this world is like. Even after getting scammed and having to adjust to this fucked up world, she's never really part of it. She's a bounty hunter, living on a ship with an ex-cop, an ex-mafia, a kid hacker, and a dog that's smarter than all of them combined.

Having seem most of Jolie's roles in other movies, I think she's, at best, an average actress. Teens and some men think she's the height of sexiness, and that's why she's there. She's eye candy, a set of boobs and sometimes a passable accent. If she had been replaced by similar actresses, I wonder how much different those films would have been.

Mind you, if the movie is only two hours long or less, they may very well end up cutting her back story out completely, or even her character.

And then we get into the whole "butchering" thing where they cut out stuff. But that's another thing for Ferret to call us fags over...

shai would not be good for ed, ed is a girl, although ed is sometimes confused about what sex she is, there is no confusion of what sex shai is.

it would be cool if they didn't work on backstory at all, and just picked up the movie during a "missing" episode, like the anime movie. Somewhere I read they were going to use the "bloody eye" drug as a topic for plot. Which would make a good 2 hour plotline, it was a great early episode, and it was before the series had gone into the depth of the characters.

Keanu does have the pretty boy look that spike needs, and thats why when I heard about it, I thought it wasn't the worst casting idea. Heath Ledger doesn't have that baby faced pretty boy look, but his acting would be good. Johnny Depp, back in the day (edward scissor hands) would have been sweet.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict that it won't be the casting that primarily ruins the movie, but rather the screenplay/director. Also, in my humble opinion, directors should be chosen first and have influence over casting... the director is the single role with the most influence on how the whole thing will turn out, and while Keanu might actually make sense for a given approach, he could easily be an awful selection for another. I didn't see director mentioned anywhere, so I'm assuming Keanu's the only name really attached to the thing.

On a side note, whatever happened to this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2003-05-21/live-action-eva-press-release - ?

Nah, once you have to make it two hours, stuff gets cut all over the place. Then they localize it. Then they put Jessica Simpson music in everywhere they can.

Live action Japanese Evangelion might be kind of fun, but only because it would be laughable. Imagine everyone running around in Power Ranger like spandex and the cheesy CG for all the fights.

I just watched Knockin on Heaven's Door last night, which highlighted for me potential problems in the live action movie. I don't think bad acting, bad dialogue, or even a bad script would ruin the movie. Lack of stylization would kill it. The worst thing that could happen to this movie would be a soundtrack containing no jazz. Also, Keanu Reeves needs to spend most of his time not talking.

Instead of recapping the whole show into 2 hours or continuing it, they should do what Knockin on Heaven's Door did - make a new, long episode placed somewhere in the series.

Heath Ledger doesn't have that baby faced pretty boy look, buthis acting would be good.

I don't think he would work very well in a live action movie.

Everyone whines about that movie -_-

I thought it was pretty good, though the man eating ants were a little corny.

you thought the ANTS were corny? not the monkies. or the ground hogs. or the prairie dogs. but the ants. huh.

anyway. yeah this is gotta be realistic and atsmopheric which is gonna be tough but can't seemed forced.