It Finally Happened: Keanu to Play Spike in Cowboy Bebop

The Damned

If it is a fan-project, I'd still be a little suspicious of it, I mean it's not very often that good fan-fics come out of anything...

there are actually some fantastic fanfics out there floating around

you just have to look hard enough, unfortunately

by the way, most of the "ideal actor for jet" choices in this thread have been horrible. Jet is only suppose to be 36 years old, even though he seems older, (maybe 50's) in the series. He's balding, is a harry beast of a man and is a flippin badd ass.

Jason Statham would be one of my picks (he fits the age, and I think he looks like a decent Jet).

jason-statham-20061012-168235.jpg

but for an "older" feel for Jet, you could do Jeff Bridges al la Obadiah Stane (Iron Man)

150px-Obadiah_Stane.jpg

But for some reason, I also like the idea of Liam Neeson as Jet, for some reason I feel like his personality fits jet's the best, and his voice is priceless.

300px-Liam_neeson1.jpg

anyways, they'll probably pick someone that will make the crowd gasp, and then we'll go through all the smack talk again

It's also not very often that fanfics have multi-million dollar budgets. I mean, this site is the perfect example of what fandom can accomplish.

Yeah it is, but I wouldn't compare something like this to fan-fiction. Yes there is good fanfiction out there that you have to dig really hard for as Bleck mentioned. But really I'd be leery of it simply because of the "fanfic" aspect of it, most people just can't craft something good with the tools they are given.

A big budget does not a great movie make.

But really I'd be leery of it simply because of the "fanfic" aspect of it, most people just can't craft something good with the tools they are given.

*facepalm*

The point is that this whole site is essentially fanfiction, except with music instead of writing. The point is that just because something's created by fans, that doesn't automatically make it suck. For example: all the music on this site.

protip: music is very very very different from literature

Seconded.

Not to mention that half the people who have remixes up on this site either have classical education or were otherwise musicians before they started submitting stuff.

So yeah. OCR is not FF.net.

And where did I say that anything made by fans is automatically made of suck?

Um, right here?

But really I'd be leery of it simply because of the "fanfic" aspect of it, most people just can't craft something good with the tools they are given.

I read that and get "if it's a fanfic it sucks because people suck". Apparently that's not what you mean?

Not to mention that half the people who have remixes up on this site either have classical education or were otherwise musicians before they started submitting stuff.

Which doesn't change the fact that they're video game fans creating derived works based on the video games that they like. That's all I'm sayin'.

• 3 years later...

I googled "ocremix Cowboy Bebop" and came across this thread and although it is old, here is my take:

Cowboy Bebop is the first anime I watched and my favorite; if a live action movie were to happen, I would watch it for the sake of curiosity and would really hope they did it right.

No, I don't think Keanu would make a good Spike. I think a better, more open-minded person would give him a chance and see how he does, after all, I remember thinking "Heath Ledger? The Joker? Really?" I also thought Hugh Jackman looked too puny and dumb to play Wolverine and now I think he was perfect. But alas, I am not open-minded and think Keanu + Spike = neh.

This might seem like a stretch but to be honest whenever I watched early episodes of The Office (U.S.) I could always picture John Krasinski as Spike, mostly because in the show, he's this tall, skinny character, and even his voice feels similar to Spike to me. His demeanor was always laid back and lazy, and the way he wore his clothes was reminiscent also, long sleeved shirts with the sleeves rolled back, tie worn loosely around the neck. But The Office sucks now so now there's this.

I currently even have the top comment on this, stating that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would make a good Spike Spiegel; I think he has the acting chops to do anything. I'm just continually impressed with him after 500 Days, Inception, 50/50, etc etc ..

Side note, after watching Drive (and also, after watching, and then subsequently thinking, about Firefly), I think Christina Hendricks would make a good Faye; she's frikn hatt, and after seeing Firefly, she could definitely play sexy/seductive/deceiving/manipulating well. Aura and acting wise I think she'd be great (although Faye is more impossibly slender)

Further side note, I occasionally check on other potential live action films based on anime e.g. Akira, Evangelion .. seems production always stops for one reason or other ..

Nicolas Cage for Spike 2012

More like Nicolas Cage for Doohan 2012. He's way too old/hairless to play Spike. ;D

Also, I just found out about this and am inevitably making the sad panda face.

Reeves doesn't have enough style/personality/expressiveness to play Spike.

The prospect of seeing my fav anime turn into a piss-poor live action is appalling.

Guess we better get ready to see Faye Valentine being played by Lady Gaga.

So much for the childhood memories...

Let's hope they won't butcher Yoko Kanno's score ...ah, who am I kidding. :roll:

Series like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop can never be made into faithful movies because of how tied to the tropes of their medium they are. I am not saying the Cowboy Bebop would be impossible to make as a live action film, but there is really just no need for it. The Animated movie was great and accurately portrayed the characters we have come to know, following themes that the show also explored, while taking a larger scope to the artwork and even the stakes. I can't see Hollywood doing justice to the themes the show explored or to the characters while still making a successful film.

Hollywood seems to be grasping at straws when it comes to new film ideas. If it would be profitable to make these movies they would have done it by now.

That'll show me to read the first four or five posts in a thread, then reply without seeing how long ago they were.

8)

I was going to do the exact same thing. Pretty much the same words, too. I only realized how long ago the post was made when I noticed that this "new" thread had appeared and gone 9 pages in the 12 hours between my visits here. With recent activity levels on the forum... that was suspicious. Unfortunately.