OCR01048 - Super Metroid "One Girl in All the World"

djpretzel

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How DARE somebody else piggy-back on MY genius!

WWW.THEWINGLESS.COM

there, that should set things right!

Dude, I was just thinking about you and this remix the other day. I'll have to check out your site to see what other tasty treats you have for us!

As for the mix, golden! The keys, the effects, and the fact that it's a remix of one of my favorite tracks from this game make it an all around highly recommended mix. Get it!

• 4 weeks later...
Inspired by the mix, up at DeviantArt: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40975299/

Very well made art, you guys need to check it out.

Wow, that's almost exactly what I pictured when first listening to this.

The arrangement itself is very creative, as a fan of the original song, I like where this was taken. I found this when I first started going to OCR. For a mix made only a few years ago, this brings back a lot of memories for me, which only goes shows how powerful the music is. Awesome stuff here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I remember seeing that first piece in your DA favorites...I should have favorited it as well, it's gorgeous.

Anyway, this piece isn't just a ReMix, it's a story, and definitely not only keeps the Metroid vibe, but takes it to a whole new level; it seems to be speaking about Samus herself, not just her alien-blasting exploits, but about the person inside the power suit. Truly moving and beautiful.

• 1 month later...

I love the background rain SFX, it really sets the tone of this mix. I don't know what it is about rain and Metroid, but they just work together. In Smashing Live, they do something similar with Depths of Brinstar, but this is still better than what they did. It's just so solemn, contemplative, sober, yet it doesn't take itself so dramatically. There is an incredibly vivid sense of place going on at times. This is a great mix.

Inspired by the mix, up at DeviantArt: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40975299/

Very well made art, you guys need to check it out.

WOW. That coherently spells out exactly what's going on in my head while listening to the ReMix. Awesome picture, completely fitting with the mood.

I agree completely; if this mix was visual art, it would definitely be those art pieces. And, Wow, those are good. :shock:

• 3 months later...

The most beautiful/emotional music I have ever heard and I whole heartedly mean that. I cant decipher what emotion is brought out in the last 40 seconds, but I can tell it was exactly what meant to come out. I hope you continue to make awesome music like this.

• 3 months later...

1:43 is the most overtly recognizable part of Brinstar 2. Closer listening yields these source quotes:

- 0:25+ (watery synth) = first three rising notes

- 1:01+ (piano) = lone lead following the rising notes

- 2:43 (whistly synth) = finishing section

- 3:18+ (piano) = ditto, but more liberal riffage

Every player brims with vitality, especially the string swells (glowing), the supporting synths (chirpy, tappy, bubbly, soapy, etc.), and of course the twilight-y ivories. The pauses/silences are a bit distracting in that I feel I have to play the part of the metronome to bridge the gap to the next section smoothly.

Overall, a nicely cleansing mix.

• 3 months later...

I don't feel like this one's been sufficiently reviewed enough considering the absolute level of sonic perfection this track reached. This one's amassed more plays on iTunes than any other OCRemix just because it's perfect for so many occasions. It's obviously got the soundscape for chilling out and falling asleep to, and the rainy sound effects make it perfect for long walks/drives... I feel a lot more connected and content with the world while I'm listening to this.

Truth be told I don't really feel that much of the source in here, but that's hardly an issue when the end product is this good. Songs in this genre are unfortunately hard to come by, which makes me really sad that The Wingless isn't as prolific as he once was because he completely nailed this genre.

If ANY song is good enough to attain the rank of "my favorite SONG ever" (not just remix... favorite SONG) this one is. I absolutely love it to death, I'll probably never stop listening to it.

• 6 months later...

Usually, I don't post on songs, but I have to register just for this one.

Honestly, wow...

I think I have fallen for this song.

It really has a strange vibe, kinda mysterious, kinda sad and lonely, kinda scary, somehow unreal which makes me shiver...

Great great job.

(I prefer this one to the other one "All the world in one girl, which is also great, but more "conventionnal" in my opinion).

Anyway, all my thanks to "The Wingless".

• 1 month later...

Really hypnotic and interesting, I love the melody and the non-traditional choices made, like the delayed bass. It's a very different style than I would normally do, but it's pretty inspiring all the same. Something to think about. :-)

I loved the twinkling piano and synth counterpoint, and the beats were interesting without demanding too much attention. Good stuff.

• 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01048 - Super Metroid "One Girl in All the World"
  • 1 year later...

I remember using this song to settle down before bed years ago, playing it on an old CD an older sibling made for me. It still gives me goosebumps and tugs at my heart, every time I listen, without fail. I want to cry when it ends. One Girl in All the Word is one of the most emotional video game mixes I've ever heard.