OCR01884 - *YES* Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1 & 2 'Hell March to the Apocalypse'

Liontamer

Note, only the J-hosted sub is the actual sub; the "orchestral" take linked below is an alternate version - LT

Remixer name: Prince Of Darkness

E-mail Address: Basstony4813@yahoo.com

User Id: 24705

Remix song name: Hell March to the Apocalypse

Game: Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

Songs: Hell March, Hell March 2 (respectively)

Composer: Frank Klepacki

System: PC

Notes: Entered in DoD for October 2008. The original inspiration behind this song came from watching the Youtube video of Frank Klepacki play Hell March and Hell March 2 with Video Games Live. Instantly I thought, "Wow, that's an awesome idea!". At that time I finally had a new computer which could handle the immense power of several instances of Symphonic Orchestra at once. I preserved many of the riffs and drum parts that came originally, and pretty much wrote an entire orchestra score to compliment the riffs.

In case you want to hear, this is the orchestra only version: http://www.tonydickinson.net/media/Prince_Of_Darkness_-_Hell_March_to_the_Apocalypse_(Orchestral_Version).mp3

As cool as it may or may not be by itself, the orchestra is still dependent on the band instruments, and without it, it still resembles the original tunes, but probably not enough.

www.tonydickinson.net

LT Edit (1/17):

"Hell March": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0

"HM2": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqwFhX6Cqg

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Music of Command & Conquer: Red Alert - (01) "Hell March"

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2: The Soundtrack - (01) "HM2"

Is it me or are the drums brought in at :47 the total weak link of the piece? They've got nothing behind 'em and don't fit with the other instruments. The rest is a go, and it's a great energetic take on the two Hell Marches, but I'm a stickler. The drums don't work. I'm down if you tweak those, otherwise, it's a NO-go.

YES (conditional)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this is a really interesting, varied piece that builds well on the original tracks, but man, that snare is weak and tucked away. It really needs more bite. The rest of the drumkit is a little quiet but not as bad. It's quite noticeable only because everything else sounds pitch perfect.

The only question in my mind is to make this conditional YES or just a YES. I'm gonna give you the straight YES because I think the rest of the track is stellar and the flat drums don't ruin the piece, they just detract. If you could bring those drums out a little more before we post, that would be great, but I'm ok passing it anyway. Cool beans.

YES

• 1 month later...

Awesome expansive take on the Hell Marches, still maintains the throat-gripping intensity of the originals. The switching of focus between the guitars and orchestra works really well. The drums could definitely be better, but I'm fine with them here, since they don't kill the mood. Great job, listening to this is like getting a fist in the face.

YES