OCR01049 - Chrono Trigger "Song of the Mountain"

djpretzel

Sweet! I get to be the first to review this mix. I have to say this is very well orchastrated, and the quality is great, but it's making me sleepy. No, wait, it's probably because I only got 1 and 1/2 hours of sleep last night and I can't sit still for more than one minute without dozing off. Nice work.

Interesting! As said above, much liberty has been taken with the original melody, but it's still a really pretty song. I think you really had something going with the first half (that soft drum beat is niiiiice). Echoing what pretz posted, the changes and transitions afterwards are a little jarring in a relatively short song (at least to me), but overall the orchestration is clean and beautiful. I likes it.

Beautifully done.

Could have been longer, yes. Could have been 4 or 5 minutes long easily and still not lost anything. But neither does it lose anything by being short! 3 minutes still allows plenty of time for the remix to do wonderful things. Especially given the short attention span of our generation... ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Life...is short, and so is this remix.

The beginning was great, I worried it would walkover to a trancemix any second, but it didn´t, phew. But it did got a little more somethin´, some sort of harp I think, very beautiful. And at the end, it all finishes softly and great with a violin-like instrument(...or is it a bagpipe?) with a heavenly piano that puts that finishing touch to the mix, and then...fin.

Very well done Urza, you got a shorty, but you did not waste a second of it,...like life.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Nice mood set here, and great use of rubato and crescendos. The solo violin sample wasn't so hot, but everything else was relatively solid.

The understated percussion added some nice texture to the mix, and the bass part was suitably interesting. Nice groove overall, and the variation and expansion is excellent.

The flute sample was pretty good, but i've gotten very picky about modulation in synth woodwinds. The sample is very nice, but some additional dynamics would have been great.

Overall a beautiful piece with some great elements.

Recommended.

• 3 months later...

The sequencing on the woodwind lead was a bit stiff, and the sound quality on it was a bit too muddy. After the track picked up a bit at :50, I felt the backing instrumentation sounded too thin and untreated, particularly the percussion.

I did enjoy the tempo slowdown at 1:29; it was a solid lead-in to the more straightforward orchestral sections of the arrangement that closed things out. The finish ended up pretty strong and made up for some of the weaknesses from earlier on; always preferable to leave a good last impression.

• 6 months later...

This is really something... The changeups in theme are done so well here. The song sort of carries you along, like you're climbing up a mountain for the first 1:50, just about there for the next 30 seconds, and at about 2:35 when the piano comes in, you've reached the summit.

It's more typical to see so many changeups done haphazardly. But this sounds as if a lot of thought and deliberation went into the arrangement, which is why it works so well. KF

• 5 months later...

Well orchestrated and structured, although I had a real hard time hearing the source in this. I'm sure it was there somewhere; traces of it can be definately heard; but the mix always seemed to be coasting just above it in original territory.

I think the transitions between orchestral styles and instruments were well handled. The mix was short, so I'm not sure if it required the diversity it was given, but I'd rather that than risk it be boring and monotonous.

I prefer tracks that stick to a recognisable melodious core and build their creativity around that core. With this, I got the feeling the melody was played with too much and bent in a way that it doesn't trigger the same response as the original. That's why I'm not fully behind this one, but I still see it as a mild and pleasant adjustment to an enjoyable CT theme.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01049 - Chrono Trigger "Song of the Mountain"