OCR01801 - Ragnarök Online "Brazzy Road"

djpretzel

For the most part, its very similar to the original, not trying to do anything "different".

But its obviously quite different too, and I do very much enjoy the fact that it sounds so RO'esque that one might be surprised that it wasn't in the game from the get go.

so basically, what we have here, and I mean it in a great way, is a Cover+1.

• 2 weeks later...

At 3:54 the e. piano solo was really fun, and the ensuing fade out worked very nicely. Also, the xylophone-esque instrument worked nicely in the cliche Dadada-da-da-da-da westernized Chinese phrase (It actually surprised me to hear it super-imposed on the Blues/Motown format of the rest of the song). Honestly the song works well, but beyond the "Chinese" phrase it wasn't spectacular.

P.S. Usually I don't like ambient sounds throughout a song, but that jungle track brought things together nicely.

At 3:54 the e. piano solo was really fun, and the ensuing fade out worked very nicely. Also, the xylophone-esque instrument worked nicely in the cliche Dadada-da-da-da-da westernized Chinese phrase (It actually surprised me to hear it super-imposed on the Blues/Motown format of the rest of the song). Honestly the song works well, but beyond the "Chinese" phrase it wasn't spectacular.

P.S. Usually I don't like ambient sounds throughout a song, but that jungle track brought things together nicely.

....... wow

Someone asked me nicely to expand on the review so, for their sake, I'll share my general opinions. I happen to like this arrangement a lot, and compositionally speaking, it lends itself well. The brass fit perfectly as a counter point. There really wasn't anything that didn't fit. I'm not about pretend I'm hearing a cliché pentatonic phrase, that clearly isn't cliché, or the least bit "Chinese" either. I'm sure if I were arranging it personally, I might have changed some of the instrumentation, but let's face it, what I'd pick is trivial. This is superb work and I for one, would love to see more of it in the future.

• 5 months later...

Awesome barrage of sounds and soloing. Sort of a whirlwind of different styles and ways to approach the theme, without it sounding like a scattershot at all. I always admire mixes like this; it must be hard to keep things heading in a balanced direction.

Loving the Motown vibe with the strings and horns, which gives great perspective to the more complex xylophone/e-piano jazz-inspired moments.

Any fear of not being able to fully get into mixes from a game as insignificant to me as Ragnarok were blown out of the water with this mix. Very cool work.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This is some great jazz music right here.

All the instruments just blend together seemlessly, the production is great, and everything here clicks.

A very groove oriented mix with some funk added in for good measure, with lots of electric piano and organ solos that really leaves you feeling satisfied when it ends.

Strongly recommended.

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01801 - Ragnarök Online "Brazzy Road"