Chrono Trigger: Frog's Theme (RC 3)

Vyper

That's ok, Gario, take your time. Your feedback is greatly appreciated regardless of whether I have to wait for it. :)

I just bought a new set of speakers and they opened my eyes (er, ears) to the extreme low-end sound of my most recent mix.

So, here's a new version. I'll take feedback from anyone! I want to submit soon. :-P

(Note: I realize it's WAY too big of a file for OCR. I accidentally encoded it 320kbps. I'll re-encode 192 for the final which makes it ~5.9 megs.)

Link: http://boxstr.com/files/4739086_xdi4i/FrogDance_RC2.mp3

I listened to your slightly older one (and liked it quite a bit, BTW), and tried to listen to the new one. Unfortunately, now I can't get the new one... Is anyone else experiencing trouble DLing it from Boxstr.com? Is it just me?

Anyhow, sorry if you already fixed some of these things. Here's a critique anyway.

The drums that open the intro up don't fit. They've just got too much realism behind them compared to the rest of the song. Using the drums you use throughout most of the song will be fine, as long as you play around with the EQ like you do in the beginning normally.

Up to 1:48, the melody gets ever so slightly lost in the mix. It's not too serious, as I can still hear it, but if you can bring it out just a little bit without screwing the EQ up that would be great. This goes for other sections where this is the lead, like 2:29.

At 2:01, it's great that the melody becomes a part of the texture rather than in the forefront. The variety that provides helps make it very enjoyable over all :)

2:18... I've never said anything about this before, but it's been there. The melody improve at this precise moment sounds weird. It moves down right there and sounds like it's gonna continue that motion, but breaks off and moves back up to the melody again. Let's see if my pitch is correct... I think it's a 'Bb' that plays there... Either make the improve move up before that note or complete the motion down and meet the melody later. It's nitpicky, but that's where we're at (that's a good thing).

Make the sword thingy a little louder; it sounds so cool :)

The key change at 2:29 is seamless. I love it. It's a difficult thing to do (and still have the piece move well), and you nail it on the head. Kudos.

At 2:55, try moving the Oboe up an octave - the timbre is better up there, and it'll soar over the texture a little better.

3:09 needs the piano to be a little louder than it is. Again, it's drown by the texture at the moment.

The echo at the end doesn't quite work for me right now. I'd lose the delay at the end there so it's just reverb.

Otherwise, it sounds great. Something I'll keep on my playlist, for sure. I'd love to hear the new version(s) you have as soon as I can.

Thanks so much for the extensive feedback, Gario.

Heeeeeeeeeeere's RC3. If the link doesn't work.. I'm going to cry. :puppyeyes:

http://boxstr.com/files/4750899_xjj1f/FrogDance_RC3.mp3

I signed up for these forums JUST to reply to this thread. This work is excellent and truly captures the original epic-ness of Frog's theme, and somehow your added material seems to just fit so well.

The only thing I could possibly demand more out of this song (i wished it lasted longer because i've been sitting here with it looped for over 24 hours total over the past 3 days, but I understand thats a pretty silly demand) is the following:

would it be possible to have the ending fade out 'just right' so that if the song were looped, you wouldn't really know it had even ended in the first place?

Most real club dancing music has this effect at the end, and your intro is so great, i feel like if you could 'step down' to a dramatic fade at the end, when it loops, the intro would just step it back up, and that would feel really natural.

IDK, I'm nto a composer of every kind, though I would love to be, I can't really devote that much time to anything outside my range of studies at college, but I DO listen to alot of techno/electronic/trance/club/etc music to stay awake (and am a gigantic fan of the genre in general).

TLDR: I love this, easily my favorite frog's theme remix. Only thing I would ask for would be a seamless way of transitioning the end to the beginning on the lstener side so that we would just have a continuous stream of eic rather than Song open - O YEAH PARTY TIME - song close - song open...

I would worship you on all four legs if you could do Song open - O YEAH PARTY TIME - Song, wait, what? did the song end? NEVRMIND OH YEAH PARTY TIME.

EDIT: Also, I would love to hear more remixes of this kind/genre/whatever for CT. I know this has nothing to do with your current work, but who doesn't love to be spoiled. (maybe a little techno magus here and there. I know its been done alot, but most of the time it completely obliterates the original material, you seem to have a knack for keeping the source intact and xciting at the same time with your new content)

rockmasterflex69, I am very happy that you liked my remix. :)

The fade out that you speak of is quite often considered a "cheap trick" used to end a song, so I don't think I'll go for it on my final mix. But since you made the request, I encoded a version that does it. I hope it's to your liking - I even made it extra high quality.

You can get it here: http://www.filedropper.com/frogdanceloopable

Any other opinions on the mix? I'm now hosting it somewhere else so if the other link doesn't work you can try the new one. I'd like to have some minor amount of confidence that it's as good as possible before sending the submission email.

Alternate: http://www.filedropper.com/frogdancerc3

rockmasterflex69, I am very happy that you liked my remix. :)

The fade out that you speak of is quite often considered a "cheap trick" used to end a song, so I don't think I'll go for it on my final mix. But since you made the request, I encoded a version that does it. I hope it's to your liking - I even made it extra high quality.

You can get it here: http://www.filedropper.com/frogdanceloopable

I'll be sure to nominate you for a nobel prize for doing this for me. Much thanks appreciatd, i look forward excitedly towards any work you do on this song and others.

Edit: I pretty much orgasm every time i hear the sword sound, because frog is so epic and thats so fitting. Thats a really good effect, it almost makes us feel liek we're still playing the game and watching him slice through a mountain. I know you said you were a newcomer to OC, and I hope that even if this gets turned down (for whatever reason) you don't give up. And, if you have any other mixes on the web somewhere, like your own website (anyone can make a free one these days at googlepages with 100mb free storage) you hook me up.

Thanks for singlehandedly (lol or I suppose, you play with 2 hands don't you. Bad puns are bad.) keeping me awake all week.

I still can't find anything unfavorable with this song, but my favorite parts are definitely (in no apparent order) the sword pickup, the intro (very badass), and every quiet segue (when everything pauses for a second and all you hear is one thing, and then all of that energy comes RIGHT back).

Truly theatrical piece of music. And that doesn't even make sense.

HahahAhaHAhaHA!!! Thought I forgot about you, eh? THINK AGAIN!!!

BLEAH!!

Ok, giving this a go, now...

Sounds good, I like the whistle you've included. Sounds like Frog :) It could use some reverb, though... it sounds a touch dry.

Other than that, the only other thing I have to say is that the melody is often a little low... When the flute comes in, though, it pierces great. It needs reverb though :P

Sounds great! I think it's very, very close. I'd be surprised if your next version wasn't the final!

Great job, and a pleasure being hear to hear it through!

Edit: While writing this, you've sent it in. I think it sounds good, so I wish you the best!

I love your mix so much I had to use it. And even though right now it only shows up in the credits (and I cited it for you), I do plan on doing more with this song eventually.

Got any preferences? Would you like to see frogs remix turned into a Sword-fighting anime video... or transformers, or something, something else?

Or not at all, thats cool too. If you don't want me to use it I won't.

• 4 weeks later...