Sleeper Wii Titles

Faustt

Wii early adopter here. Bought it back in January of 07 and it's basically been collecting dust since I finished Zelda. Brawl came out and I had a lot of fun with that, but now my Wii is sitting here going unused yet again. Can anyone recommend some titles that may not have got a lot of mainstream love?

Games I have and/or completed already:

Zelda: TP

Metroid Prime 3

Super Mario Galaxy - best game for the Wii so far IMO. Can't remember the last game where I actually felt compelled to get 100%.

Resident Evil 4 Wii

Games I tend to like: Platformers, RPGs, quirky offbeat games, puzzle games. Some strategy games...

I heard Paper Mario was a let down. The new Tales game also got some mixed reviews.... de Blob has been getting a lot of hype, anyone tried it?

I have played and beaten de Blob. Get it, it's very much worth it. Also, Endless Ocean is a good one if you can find it. Super Paper Mario has a few dry early bits but is still a great game... It just starts getting good after the annoyances in chapter 2. No More Heroes can probably be found cheap in the bargain bin, so pick that up. Geometry Wars Galaxies can also be worth your while if you haven't played it anywhere else.

Even though Super Paper Mario wasn't as good as either of the two previous games in the series, it was still great. Tons of lol-worthy moments, particularly chapter 3. The only real complaints I have with the game are pretty minor, like having to switch to Mario all the time just to flip dimensions. Still, it's a fun game, and definitely deserved more love than it got, even if the floating around in space parts of chapter 4 were really lame.

If point and click puzzles are something you like, or think you might, Zack and Wiki is freaking amazing. I think you can get it for like 10 bucks now, so yeah, definitely worth it.

I had some fun with Elebits when it first came out. Definitely not worth the full price I paid for it, but assuming you can get it on the cheap now you might want to consider it. The concept of the game is very simple but still pretty fun, and if nothing else the soundtrack is really quite nice.

To echo a few that have already been mentioned, Zack and Wiki was really good, Wario was excellent (though the shaking thing was pretty gimicky), and Super Paper Mario was also really good. If you're into RPGs, I'd recommend picking up Tales of Symphonia for GCN (for about $15-20) and if you like it, try its Wii-exclusive sequel ToS: Dawn of the New World. That was one of two games I really got into over my Christmas break (the other being Persona 4). Personally, besides the lack of a traditional overworld and the game being a bit "talky," I really loved it.

A few other games to try include Mega Man 9 (definitely worth a download), one of the Trauma Center games if you want some good challenge, and Mario Kart Wii, which is a fantastic entry in the series, albeit not a "sleeper hit." You may also want to check out Okami, though personally I prefer the PS2 version because I don't care for the waggle controls much. Lastly, though it isn't out yet, this May you should really invest in The Conduit, which looks like it's going to rock.

I'll give Zack and Wiki a rental. Seems a little... bubble-gummy, but hell, I'll give it a try.

Totally forgot about Mario Kart. Double Dash was a bit of a let down. Though I think my expectations were set a little high from the masterpiece that is Mario Kart 64. =)

Yes Okami! I missed out on the PS2 version and was excited to see a WIi port in the works. I guess it came out while I wasn't paying attention. :tomatoface:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Opoona is an RPG by ArtePiazza hasn't really caught on, but I hear it's not bad. Anything by people who worked on the Dragon Quest series should be decent.

The recently-released Mushroom Men sounds like a sweet platformer as well.

Wario Land Shake It is an art house. Excellent audiovisuals. The 2D gameplay isn't as great as the GB installments, but if you've never played a Wario Land game, you'll be impressed with this one.

Since I have played both Wii Trauma Center titles...

Trauma Center: Second Opinion had a great story and was actually very engrossing. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Trauma Center: New Blood had a pitiful story compared to its predecessor, but was a great deal more difficult.

You say you felt compelled to get 100% on MP3? If that's the kinda thing you like to do, I would recommend Trauma Center: Second Opinion, mainly because the story is great. If you want a challenge, each operation gives you a rating. From lowest to highest, you can earn a C, B, A, S, or XS (Medical Prodigy) on each operation. Try to earn an XS on each operation for a real challenge.

You say you felt compelled to get 100% on MP3?

Metroid Prime 3

Super Mario Galaxy - best game for the Wii so far IMO. Can't remember the last game where I actually felt compelled to get 100%.

Stars, missile expansions; what's the difference? =p

After renting Trauma Center: Second Opinion and finding it very challenging (and I LOVE difficult games), it sounds like New Blood would be too difficult for even me ><

I did like the story and gameplay though - I'd recommend it.

I second Mega Man 9, whether or not you've played the originals. And I'd better look into getting a copy of Okami ^_^

Games I tend to like: Platformers, RPGs, quirky offbeat games, puzzle games. Some strategy games...

World of Goo.

Some people have pointed out Super Paper Mario. I would like to expand on the "still a great game" notions. It was a great story, with great dialogue and character interaction, and a decent concept. The gameplay however was sub par and the difficulty was mind numbingly easy. Boss battles were the dryest of any mario game I've ever played. Keep these things in mind if you consider it. If story is enough to sell you, great. If not, I'd opt out on this game.

Heck, get all the megamans as they come out. My dream is to have a page of only megaman games, and it is slowly becoming a reality.

You could just buy Mega Man Collection and Mega Man X Collection for ten dollars a piece instead of spending 100 bucks and still not having as many Mega Man games (and you wouldn't have to wait until they decide to release those games). Mega Man 9 is a must though. Absolutely required by any gamer who claims to have a pair of functional testicles or ovaries.

Super Paper Mario? Decent game, but I personally feel like it is the weakest of the Paper Mario series, with the first two being equally awesome and the third being an entertaining spinoff. It was a cool experiment though, and its worth the money for a bored Wii fan.

How difficult would you say Trauma Center on the Wii is vs the original DS version? I'm all for a challenge, the DS version was just right, but did get stuck quite a few tijmes. I'm guessing second blood would be a nightmare. lol

Never really got into the Mega Man series. Back in the day I did play the hell out of MM3 then later X. I think playing MM9 would make me feel old, lol. I fell out of console gaming around the PS/N64 era and my skills with a controller have gone to shit. I have a feeling Wiimotes would be flying after a few hours of dying in MM9. =D

Plenty of things for me to check out here. Thanks guys.

For me, only BoomBlox and a TON of old Sega games for the VC are worth mentioning. Only if BoomBlox was for the 360 or PSN where people can easily access online play with it. It plays like the type of game you can just mess around with and still have fun with it.

Speaking of DS Megaman games, I thought they were both pretty good and worth the purchase. People rat on the series for getting too complex, but in the end, it's still the same Megaman and it's the same crew that made the acclaimed Megaman 9. Well, paying $35+ for a handheld Megaman might seem much, but if you can find it in bargain bins, I think it's worth it.