Wild Arms: ARMed and DANGerous - History

Jenz Drake

For lack of anything else to do, I have to briefly jump to FF8's defense, as I seem to be just about the only person in the World who loves it. When I heard the OST, I hadn't yet played the game, and aside from a few tracks blowing me away (Liberi Fatali, of course), it was the first FF OST I'd heard that didn't do much for me.

I then played the game, and discovered it was important to reserve *all* judgement until one has finished Disc One...at least for me, that's where the atmosphere really started to come together, and I became hooked on the gameplay as well. The BGM, to me, fits *remarkably* well in the *context* of the game, and ever since, I've been a huge fan of the game and its soundtrack.

Also: it's the only video game ending that literally *never* fails to make me shed multiple tears.

I'm with Dan on this one. It's important to notice what a soundtrack can do for the game.

Many songs that purists here would consider lacking are effective in their original context.

And sure most FF osts are enjoyable on their own, even if you haven't played them.

FFVIII maybe has less popularity, but its soundtrack still contains some great tracks worth mentioning:

The landing, Succession of Witches, Lunatic Pandora & Fisherman's Horizon, come to mind instantly.

But in this case, I think it's really more a question of experience and memories of the game.

On another note, I'm a huge fan of Sakimoto/Matsuo, so FFXII would be my favorite pick.

That being said, wasn't this originally a WILD ARMS PROJECT THREAD? :mrgreen:

Also: it's the only video game ending that literally *never* fails to make me shed multiple tears.

Yes! and FFX makes me shed multiple tears too. I think some of them are a bit harsh on FFVIII. I know it was weak, but I can't say I hate it. I would play it again just for the story.

That being said, wasn't this originally a WILD ARMS PROJECT THREAD? :mrgreen:

Hah, I know lately we been talking about FF, but it's ok. Wild ARMs has a slow period right now so it's ok to have fun and dream about future projects. =P

For lack of anything else to do, I have to briefly jump to FF8's defense, as I seem to be just about the only person in the World who loves it. When I heard the OST, I hadn't yet played the game, and aside from a few tracks blowing me away (Liberi Fatali, of course), it was the first FF OST I'd heard that didn't do much for me.

I then played the game, and discovered it was important to reserve *all* judgement until one has finished Disc One...at least for me, that's where the atmosphere really started to come together, and I became hooked on the gameplay as well. The BGM, to me, fits *remarkably* well in the *context* of the game, and ever since, I've been a huge fan of the game and its soundtrack.

yeah it has a fairly good gameplay, but I didn't find it astounding. The OST does indeed fit the atmosphere of the game, but there are only a few tracks that I really like as music by itself.... but even as BGM, other FFs did a better job IMO.

(I also didn't like the ending haha.. but then again, there aren't a lot of game endings I do like.)

Hey. I've been checking this thread alot.

Just thought I'd say that the Wild ARMs soundtrack is probably my favorite soundtrack. I used to listen to it religiously while practicing guitar for years. I used it as motivation...um, yeah. It's probably my favorite. Many hard drives crashed since I first got a hold of the soundtrack from zophar's domain all those years ago, but of course I always kept them safe on discs (psf files). I dig Alundra too.

Oh, and I'm still working on my track and possibly may tackle another, I'll see how the sessions go. I should have done a bit of research, but the guitar lead on I think the second or third song from the preview track sounded really great. i can't wait to hear the final product on that one. everybody else on the preview sounded amazing.

Sounds like some of my problems with FF7's OST :-( .

This is why I love my innate placing of superlative value on arrangement. God blessed me with good taste. (though yes FF7 stands out as a sore thumb with regard to soundfont selection... though that's also a bit time-and-place)

And no, FF8 was good. Not great, but good and underrated. It simply came in the wake of FF7. That's all that needs to be said. Well, that and the FF8 OST is the last FF OST that I decided to keep in its entirety on my hard drive. Also, going along with VHD: the application of motifs was well-done and uniting, story-wise. Though the game didn't quite live up to its predecessors (in my opinion), it was still musically fantastic. After all, what would I be without The Stage Is Set? A poorer man. (and the arranged version of The Man With The Machine Gun!)

And sorry, Jade, I regret to inform you that I won't likely be spamming your future FFX thread. The game had such potential, but it remains a posterboy for the repercussions faced if you don't have a passable protagonist.

yeah it has a fairly good gameplay, but I didn't find it astounding. The OST does indeed fit the atmosphere of the game, but there are only a few tracks that I really like as music by itself.... but even as BGM, other FFs did a better job IMO.

(I also didn't like the ending haha.. but then again, there aren't a lot of game endings I do like.)

Oh, yah..as I mentioned, I've long believed I'm just about the only person who feels as I do about FF8. I absolutely adore the gameplay, story, music (as I said, mostly in-context, but many of the pieces on their own too), ending (which I feel has an emotional punch that no other game ending I've seen has) and..just everything. I wouldn't necessarily put it "above" or "below" any other FF, as that's tough to do, but it's easily in my top 4 of the series. Anyway, I'm not at all surprised you feel that way, because that seems to be the majority, and I'm quite used to it xD

Also: Wild Arms, Wild Arms, Wild Arms. Wild Arms.

Hey. I've been checking this thread alot.

Just thought I'd say that the Wild ARMs soundtrack is probably my favorite soundtrack. I used to listen to it religiously while practicing guitar for years. I used it as motivation...um, yeah. It's probably my favorite. Many hard drives crashed since I first got a hold of the soundtrack from zophar's domain all those years ago, but of course I always kept them safe on discs (psf files). I dig Alundra too.

Oh, and I'm still working on my track and possibly may tackle another, I'll see how the sessions go. I should have done a bit of research, but the guitar lead on I think the second or third song from the preview track sounded really great. i can't wait to hear the final product on that one. everybody else on the preview sounded amazing.

Wow I don't think you've expressed this to me. =) This is why I am doing it... to express the love for the soundtrack because it's so underrated. It needs attention.

And sorry, Jade, I regret to inform you that I won't likely be spamming your future FFX thread. The game had such potential, but it remains a posterboy for the repercussions faced if you don't have a passable protagonist.

wtf?

I don't understand Tidus hate. I understand Cloud hate. I understand Sephiroth hate. I understand Squall hate. No one ever hates Zidane. But I don't understand Tidus hate. I thought the age of optimistic main characters was a nice change from the age of "..." characters.