gaming posters and memorabilia

prophetik music

my wife and i were recently discussing our eventual (read: not for a long time) house that we want to buy or build, and i mentioned that i wanted a game room - a room for all my consoles, a tv, my main gaming computer, and a couch or two. she thought that'd be a great idea to keep all of my crap out of the main living area. she then asked what i wanted to do to decorate the room. i said that i want to wallpaper my eventual game room with posters of great games and movies that have really made an impact on me, whether it's because i really like them (chrono cross, freelancer, halo series) or because they were revolutionary (chrono trigger, mirror's edge, pkmn series). she wasn't really as excited as i was, but it got me thinking.

where do you go to buy game posters and memorabilia? i'd like to get some rarer stuff - for example, i'm guessing that it'll be tough to get a freelancer poster - and possibly get some custom artwork done to fill out my list of games. where do YOU go (besides ebay) to get this stuff?

I was looking for this kind of stuff just the other day. If you go to allposters.com they have a rediculous amount of Street Fighter prints of just about every character, including people from 3rd Strike, some from the alpha series, and darkstalkers. Other than that I wish I knew more

EDIT: vgcats.com also has some awesome shirts in their store. i might even get a couple.

One thing I suggest, is that if you like any new or upcoming games - ask after the release if anyone has dibs on the dispaly standee. I have a 6ft tall cardboard Metroid Prime 2 display peice, my friend gave it to me after he managed to get an even better one. Such things are hard to purchase, due to the rarity. Its certainly a novelty thats a step above the rest.

I have developed quite a collection of video game posters, mostly by going through old video game magazines and ripping/cutting out the posters in there.

I've been a subscriber of Nintendo Power for years, so I went through my old mags I still had and got to about 50 posters of random games. I used them all to "wallpaper" my dorm room freshman year, and the small bathroom (complete with N64) my junior year.

It's a pretty neat feeling looking forward to pooping so you can try to find more stars in Mario 64.

As for what you can do, find a store like GameStop on a Sunday and ask if you can have any old marketing signs or posters they're throwing out. (They change their marketing every other week on Sundays, usually.) I got a pretty sweet Super Smash Bros Brawl poster this way. It reminds me to reserve my copy today.

Yes, mine display reminds me a free T-Shirt comes with pre-order. Though it is a sticker over the cardboard, but I dare not attempt a removal.

Edit: You cans score tons of swag this way at game stores, my friend also has a PS2 display kiosk and one for the Cube of XBox. Its like..his hobby to track these things down.

Never give up trying! Sometimes the people who work there already have loads of swag and there's the off chance someone else hasn't claimed it. If you can't get it immediately a week after the product goes on sale they either have to trash the display or give it away. For them its a weekly occurance, its like buying meat on Sunday. They're looking to dump inventory, thats the 2nd sweet spot to ask at.

I acquired a Final Fantasy standup from a buddy of mine who asked for it from GameStop I think.

I hunted down an ooollld promo poster for the original StarFox on the SNES from an old April 1993 GamePro magazine. I have it framed. It makes me very happy. :) All four of the original Starfox team with Corneria behind them and arwings in the air... in all their muppet looking glory. :)

Game Mags and photoshopping them isn't a bad idea. You can take them down to a good printer and get a good large poster of whatever you want as long as you have a good resolution image. You can find those images from promotional packages that companies give websites... for instance, I found a slew of Metal Gear Solid promo images that are absolutely huge and perfect for printing... there are others as well.

Personally, I have a crap load of cutouts from old magazines that I saved as a kid, tons of them. My walls in my room was plastered edge to edge with magazine cutouts of my favorite characters. I'm glad I saved them all, I might throw them all together in a giant collage one day, frame it and be tasteful for once. haha.

my wife and i were recently discussing our eventual (read: not for a long time) house that we want to buy or build, and i mentioned that i wanted a game room - a room for all my consoles, a tv, my main gaming computer, and a couch or two. she thought that'd be a great idea to keep all of my crap out of the main living area. she then asked what i wanted to do to decorate the room. i said that i want to wallpaper my eventual game room with posters of great games and movies that have really made an impact on me, whether it's because i really like them (chrono cross, freelancer, halo series) or because they were revolutionary (chrono trigger, mirror's edge, pkmn series). she wasn't really as excited as i was, but it got me thinking.

where do you go to buy game posters and memorabilia? i'd like to get some rarer stuff - for example, i'm guessing that it'll be tough to get a freelancer poster - and possibly get some custom artwork done to fill out my list of games. where do YOU go (besides ebay) to get this stuff?

I can look around Japan for you and find something kinda like my Mario towels featured img_0754.jpg