AVIRA found "twext.exe"

Final_metroid

dang, son, you just don't know anything about computers, do you? first a zillion-page thread about computer issues that were all resolved by buying a normal graphics card, and now a trojan that you probably got from downloading video games unprotected off of tpb. oh, and you use the worst virus scanning software available - you didn't even get avg or avast!

go to a malware forum, post a hijackthis log, and let one of those people (where it's their job to fix jacked computers like yours) tell you what to do.

edit: you're not a nub anymore - you've been here for four years. use google next time.

From AV comparison research, I found AVIRA to be the most popularly recommended. With most google solutions, there are many far reaching and messy processes to get rid of the virus (downloading special tools). Because this is my fathers computer, i prefer not to install too much (and i'm not a huge fan of hijack this because I don't like fiddling with stuff that i don't personally know about).

As for a windows reboot solution, I might consider trying to get rid of the trojan and other viruses using "classic methods" first because "twext.exe" is not listed as a high-risk virus

Spybot + HijackThis was the combo that fixed my last trojan. All I had to do was close any processes run by the trojan and then have Spybot delete the files for good. All this after a few days trying out random antivirus programs and having them solve absolutely nothing [AVG and AdAware did find some stuff but didn't do dick in the end]

It caught me totally off guard because that was the first virus I'd gotten in like... 7 or 8 years, so I never had any protection. I have Spybot running in the background now and it fortunately leaves a small footprint so it doesn't hog resources away from me making my music :D

From AV comparison research, I found AVIRA to be the most popularly recommended. With most google solutions, there are many far reaching and messy processes to get rid of the virus (downloading special tools). Because this is my fathers computer, i prefer not to install too much (and i'm not a huge fan of hijack this because I don't like fiddling with stuff that i don't personally know about).

As for a windows reboot solution, I might consider trying to get rid of the trojan and other viruses using "classic methods" first because "twext.exe" is not listed as a high-risk virus

avira was really popular several years ago, but they haven't really updated their AV program since then. in general, to get rid of most trojans nowadays, you're going to need to download special tools - that's just how it is. normal av programs can't deal with that kind of crap.

twext might not be a high-risk virus, but do you know what it does? what if it's a keylogger? do you or your dad use it for buying stuff online? or, what if it's forcing your computer to commit cycles to a botnet?

only four programs to get that virus off? sounds like you're getting off lucky. the trojan i had, vundo, took eight before it was completely gone, and each program removed a part of it (so none were useless).

how much ram does that computer have, and what os is it running? if it's got the overhead (~100 megs, constantly), use norton antivirus 2008/9. it's the only antivirus that prevents suspicious programs from even running, rather than letting them do crazy things and then trying to clean up the mess. it's also 45$ a year for the program's subscription (i can give you the installation/15-day trial if you want to test it, but it's a bitch to get off of your computer if you want to uninstall it). if you don't want to pay, avg's probably the best free antivirus out there, although the best free AV programs are on par with the worst of the purchased software.

kaspersky is a good alternative as a paid program.