Resident Evil 5

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

I didn't see a thread up for it, so I thought I'd take the initiative and beat those suckas to the punch.

Anyway yeah, Resident Evil 5 ladies and gentlemen. The demo just came out on Xbox Live earlier today and the PS3 demo is scheduled for release next week.

The controls have been changed as we all know to a more "shooter-esque" type of setting while still preserving the RE4 configuration for those who prefer it. As for me? Well I should first mention that I'm a lefty, and a lefty who CANNOT do much righty at all, so when I saw that there was no lefty stick flip available, I was a bit miffed. Fortunately, the game feels a lot like Gears of War in it's camera perspective and I found myself very comfortable with the new control scheme. I dare say that I can't go back to the older style of controls, although I guess after being spoiled by Left 4 Dead on the 360, I was kind of hoping for a quick 180 turn button. This can be taken care of though by raising the aim sensitivity I guess.

The demo is short but sweet, containing the same levels we've seen before like the shanty town and such. Also, damn is this game pretty. People can keep saying that it's just RE4.5 or "RE4 on steroids" all they want. I think more of a good thing is a great thing, especially if it's tweaked to such a high degree. The game isn't as tense as before, although that might have something to do with me playing in a fully lit room, and I can imagine having a serious blast with the co op play.

Anyway, enough of me rambling. Go try this sucker out.

A demo for download you say?

I should have been keeping better track. This game looks absolutely fantastic!

Actually, I pretty much hated all RE before 4, granted that the style of game did add a very nice spice to the horror genre, but the very fact that my 3 aiming options were

a. Right in front of my face

b. my toes.

c. the ceiling.

...made it a bit unappealing. It was a miracle when RE 4 came out and I could actually aim at the head of my attackers

Actually, I pretty much hated all RE before 4, granted that the style of game did add a very nice spice to the horror genre, but the very fact that my 3 aiming options were

a. Right in front of my face

b. my toes.

c. the ceiling.

Three things ->

1. All those games had auto-aim.

2. They weren't primarily action based games, so total control (such as with a First Person Shooter) didn't matter.

3. Pre-rendered environments, at the time, made that a little difficult to implement due to static camera angles.

It would take a serious shift from mainly action back to mainly horror to make up for the pile of feces 4 Resident Evil was.

:lol: I can't tell if you're serious or just setting up bait. :lol:

The entire series had both moments of horror and action. Hell it's always been more about action than actual terror. The "horror" comes from what the true antagonists have done to the poor bastards. Even the zombie's and animal life that became infected and tried to kill you were victims in a chain of experiments gone horribly wrong and out of control.

In regards of RE4, it was more of a fluke that a group of people happen to awaken seemingling primordial parasites and become infested, thus spreading the parasite to local villages.

I am completely serious, and, if anyone is curious, i'll explain why I feel that way.

And yes, while there have been moments of adrenaline fueled action in past games (which worked out nicely in the Remake for Gamecube, as it was used well in the East hallway), it has rarely been a continuous feed like 4 Resident Evil was.

I am completely serious, and, if anyone is curious, i'll explain why I feel that way.

And yes, while there have been moments of adrenaline fueled action in past games (which worked out nicely in the Remake for Gamecube, as it was used well in the East hallway), it has rarely been a continuous feed like 4 Resident Evil was.

So... non-stop abominations trying to kill you every way reasonably possible ingame when such enemies/creatures are capable of doing so is too much. Okay...

Then again I've always felt that the zombies in the earlier titles should have tried swarming where ever the player was. Exceptions being in the REmake/0/3/4...

hmm... I guess I just like a better reasoning behind 4..? It's cool though if you don't want to. Hell I didn't care much for the halo and there are throngs of fanboys on that.

I'll agree with Azar on this. I despise RE4. I'll play the demo of 5 because demo's are free so why not, but unless there was at the very least a massive overhaul of the game control I won't bother checking it out.

I hated RE4 for the fact that it gave us the same tank like movement controls with an aiming system that was nerfed due to a laser sight that didn't appear on anything you couldn't shoot. Which basically meant that unless I was facing a wall of enemies 5 feet in front of me, I couldn't tell what I was aiming at half the time until the laser happened to cross an enemies body.

Hell, if they fix that and add the ability to move while aiming (and strafe) then it'd be a much better game. Combat was utter shit in 4 because of those two factors. If you're going to make the move to an action game, you shouldn't keep survival horror style movement controls.

I was speaking more to Vivi actually as those complaints are common amongst people who didn't really give the game a fair shake.

itt: people who apparently still haven't heard what happens when you assume.

I beat RE4 and put more than 20 hours into it in total, even starting a second playthrough. Partly in the hope that the enemies would become more varied (didn't really happen), and by the end I finished it solely because I knew people like you would put there foot in there mouths saying I didn't give it more than a fair chance.

The problems I had with the game were annoying at the start of the game, and had me ready to bash my head against the wall by the end. The only thing that made the game enjoyable early on was that the atmosphere of the village was cool and kind of creepy (unlike everything after it), and the enemies had yet to become tough enough for the tank like controls and a crappy aiming system to really work against you as a player.

itt: people who apparently still haven't heard what happens when you assume.

I beat RE4 and put more than 20 hours into it in total, even starting a second playthrough. Partly in the hope that the enemies would become more varied (didn't really happen), and by the end I finished it solely because I knew people like you would put there foot in there mouths saying I didn't give it more than a fair chance.

The problems I had with the game were annoying at the start of the game, and had me ready to bash my head against the wall by the end. The only thing that made the game enjoyable early on was that the atmosphere of the village was cool and kind of creepy (unlike everything after it), and the enemies had yet to become tough enough for the tank like controls and a crappy aiming system to really work against you as a player.

You keep saying "tank controls" but you seem to not really understand the definition of "tank controls".

RE1, 2, 3, CV, etc = tank controls

RE4 = not tank controls

"Crappy" aiming system? If anything the aiming system is a bit too EASY. If you can't see where you're aiming because there's no dot then you have absolutely no "feel" of the game. Seriously, how can you not know where you're aiming even WITHOUT the dot?

Also; the environments after the village were superior; especially the entire castle portion, moving then to the awesome island.

itt: uninformed opinions that sound like they emerged from playing re4 for a total of ten minutes.

I tend to agree with most of what's been said here and I played up until that room in that castle that had those bastards with tower shields. I swear to god I must have tried getting through that room about 80 times before I just said "screw it" and stopped playing the game entirely. Didn't have enough shotgun ammo to blast the shields away, shooting them in the face with a pistol was too slow, and trying to melee with my little knife against their flails or maces or whatever they had (it's been a while -- I forget) was suicide. I could run the gauntlet and get through to the other side of the room alive, but the dumb chick that was following you would never make it without me babysitting her every step of the way -- which took too long to escape. (I was later told that the easiest answer to that room is "grenades", which I'd abandoned long ago as being impossible to aim and thus more dangerous to myself than any enemies. Nor had I seen grenades anywhere remotely near that room. Go go brilliant level design.)

So yeah, maybe I just suck at the game, but suffice to say that I gave it a fair shake and decided that it could go to hell. Unless they either stop forcing you into combat (which would be more "survival horror-ish") or drastically improve the controls (which would be more "actiony"), I'm not going to bother with RE5.

I played the demo a while ago. Extremely impressive, imo.

As for this current dispute over 1-3 and 4. All of them were pretty awesome games. Sure, the first 3 were a little lacking in action, but that doesn't mean they're any less awesome. I'm sorry, but I grew up playing the games and while 4 was good, I can honestly say I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the others.

Las Plagas? C'mon. That's BS and everyone knows it. Bring back the Zeds damn it! lol

You keep saying "tank controls" but you seem to not really understand the definition of "tank controls".

RE1, 2, 3, CV, etc = tank controls

RE4 = not tank controls

RE4 has the exact same movement controls as every other RE. The only difference is the camera is over your shoulder instead of static. It still took forever to turn and run, and if anything, it was a bigger pain in the ass because for an action game, reacting to enemies coming at you was slow and cumbersome.

"Crappy" aiming system? If anything the aiming system is a bit too EASY. If you can't see where you're aiming because there's no dot then you have absolutely no "feel" of the game. Seriously, how can you not know where you're aiming even WITHOUT the dot?

Bullshit. If the camera stayed in the same spot over your shoulder every time you tried to aim it wouldn't have been as big a problem. It didn't though, so where you were aiming in one room relative to the camera position was often different from the rooms before. At best you had a general idea where the dot should be, and after that it was guesswork. Like I said before, this wasn't an issue with a lot of enemies right in front of you since you could find the dot quickly, but at a distance it was near impossible to find it before an enemy closed within 20-30 feet, sometimes closer.

Also; the environments after the village were superior; especially the entire castle portion, moving then to the awesome island.

Personal preference, but I found the levels after the village not only weren't creepy, but they dragged on far too long, and many looked too much alike. Kind of the same problem I had with the enemies.

I'll agree with Azar on this. I despise RE4. I'll play the demo of 5 because demo's are free so why not, but unless there was at the very least a massive overhaul of the game control I won't bother checking it out.

I hated RE4 for the fact that it gave us the same tank like movement controls with an aiming system that was nerfed due to a laser sight that didn't appear on anything you couldn't shoot. Which basically meant that unless I was facing a wall of enemies 5 feet in front of me, I couldn't tell what I was aiming at half the time until the laser happened to cross an enemies body.

Hell, if they fix that and add the ability to move while aiming (and strafe) then it'd be a much better game. Combat was utter shit in 4 because of those two factors. If you're going to make the move to an action game, you shouldn't keep survival horror style movement controls.

lolwhat damn you're dumb

RE4 has the exact same movement controls as every other RE. The only difference is the camera is over your shoulder instead of static. It still took forever to turn and run, and if anything, it was a bigger pain in the ass because for an action game, reacting to enemies coming at you was slow and cumbersome.

Bullshit. If the camera stayed in the same spot over your shoulder every time you tried to aim it wouldn't have been as big a problem. It didn't though, so where you were aiming in one room relative to the camera position was often different from the rooms before. At best you had a general idea where the dot should be, and after that it was guesswork. Like I said before, this wasn't an issue with a lot of enemies right in front of you since you could find the dot quickly, but at a distance it was near impossible to find it before an enemy closed within 20-30 feet, sometimes closer.

Personal preference, but I found the levels after the village not only weren't creepy, but they dragged on far too long, and many looked too much alike. Kind of the same problem I had with the enemies.

yarr resifent efiil bad contrawls

If I wanted a run and gun action zombie game, I'd play L4D, kthx. I don't see why every game now has to be like that, and I'm perfectly happy with the way RE1,2,3,4, and 5 are. You guys are acting like it was just introduced in 4 though. I guess it's something to bitch about though, the backbone of the internet.

If I wanted a run and gun action zombie game, I'd play L4D, kthx. I don't see why every game now has to be like that, and I'm perfectly happy with the way RE1,2,3,4, and 5 are. You guys are acting like it was just introduced in 4 though. I guess it's something to bitch about though, the backbone of the internet.

Hey don't lump me with them, I actually like the entire series. :)!!