Thank You!

Seacigar

This is just a thread I thought to put up to show my love for this site. I've been a long-time lurker to this site (at least 5 years, though it is likely much more)... I've downloaded a great deal of music, and yet I've never really done anything to contribute. I guess you could say I'm feeling a bit of guilt and am trying to make right... If I *really* wanted to show my thanks, I could at the very least donate, right? I guess I will go with the old cop-out answer "I never had a lot of money to throw around, so I never bothered"... more so now than ever.

I won't bore anyone here with details on why me or my life might be so pathetic as to not have the cash to show my appreciation, but I assure you I've thought about it. Maybe circumstances will line up so I can at least chunk down a hundred or so in cash, or maybe I'll just remember to slap a 20 down the next time my luck perks a mite... but in the mean time, this thread is basically a humbling thank you to those composers who take the time and effort to make such fun, energizing, and usually nostalgic remixes.

I suppose the best thing I can do for now is just kneel and bow in the most humbling way possible. Might seem a bit dramatic, but meh, I want my sincerity to be known, even if I am a flake;)

So yeah, thanks to all those out there in the community who keep this site going well, and give shlubs like me the energy to get things done: be it chores, work, travel, or artwork commissions, the boost I get from listening to the music here on my player makes it possible to not only do things fast and efficient, but to have fun doing them.

I suppose... if anyone wanted to add to the thread their own thanks to the site and community as a whole, they could add something here (though I'd wager I'm not the first "thank you" thread-maker out there)... otherwise, know that your work is appreciated at least as much as I can possibly voice it (and I do refer folks when I get the chance)... Keep up the work as long as you enjoy it people... you're freakin' heroes:nicework:

You know, if you're really wanting to give back to the site in non-monetary ways, you could always give song reviews and give people feedback on their Works-in-Progress. Evangelizing others to OCRdom and spreading the good news of the Preztel H. Christ will also gain you points for the videogame music remixing afterlife.

Hmmm... Sinewav does seem to have some good ideas there. Alrighty then... I'll make a point of keeping track of any songs that compel me in some way or form, be they good or bad, and make notes and work on a review now and then (the more compelling the work the more likely I'll be able to make a worthwhile review...)

When presenting my work on DA or whatever, comments and input on my stuff are always fun, so it makes perfect sense. I never thought to look through WIPs... definately a mistake on my part I suppose. I'll hunt down some and see if I can't make suggestions, though I'm more hesitant to say "this should be done to this to make it complete"... but meh... learn by example: I'll read some WIP reviews and figure out what needs to be done.

There's a handy checklist (that nobody uses) that can give you some idea of what to listen for. Listen for the bad, listen for the good, comment on both. Random praise won't help the remixer, tho, so make sure to be specific enough to tell the remixer what you like and what you don't. Don't worry, stuff as simple as "I like the lead, but I can't hear the drums" is good feedback.

WiPs and reviews are a great way to give back to ocr. There's always a few wips with barely any response, review threads in need of more reviews, etc..

Welcome to ocr. :D

So yeah, thanks to all those out there in the community who keep this site going well, and give shlubs like me the energy to get things done: be it chores, work, travel, or artwork commissions, the boost I get from listening to the music here on my player makes it possible to not only do things fast and efficient, but to have fun doing them.

I've put them to similar use. They can be quite handy for this.

I've put them to similar use. They can be quite handy for this.

I've enslaved some of them, from time to time.. I know, I'm a horrible human being.

But yes, here's me saying thanks. And now here's me saying I am working on lyrics to a remix in my head... and this is me holding a big fish at lake tahoe, and that's me in front of the staff lounge refrigerator, and hey, look at me in my quarter million dollar company bathroom!

Spending time in the WIP forum is actually a lot of fun, at least for me. My comments are rarely technical but I'd like to think they had at least some small helpful effect on people, if nothing else but to say "hey I listened to that, and x part was cool, you might be onto something here!" among other things. Most of us here have to have a pretty major passion for video game music, and it can be very interesting to see what other kinds of ideas people come up with, whether they be destined for ocr fame or not.

That and, when a WIP you commented on does finally get posted, you can't help but feel good, like maybe, you had like .0000000001% of an effect on how it turned out, or, you know, maybe more :lol: . Then you won't feel out of place giving it a review when all is said and done too!

I've enslaved some of them, from time to time.. I know, I'm a horrible human being.

But yes, here's me saying thanks. And now here's me saying I am working on lyrics to a remix in my head... and this is me holding a big fish at lake tahoe, and that's me in front of the staff lounge refrigerator, and hey, look at me in my quarter million dollar company bathroom!

Oh wow! You look really good in Armani.

That checklist gives me just what I need to be methodical in my criticism *saves*... I won't be able to dedicate nearly enough time to all those who deserve reviews but... *smirks* I already know that I'm just one dude. This sounds like the beginning of a fun new hobby :D