New Jersey: America's secret treasure-house of culture

The Pezman

Hell yeah.

I, for one, was getting tired of Newark's bad rap and living off an exit. This is fantastic, and totally on key.

Other famous peeps they didn't mention include Zach Braff (who grew up a stone's throw from where I live) and Kal Penn (who actually went to my town's local high school). And the final scene of the final episode of the Sopranos was filmed in my town's well-known diner.

And, of course, there's the famed "New Jersey" episode of How I Met Your Mother, but I can't find a link for it anywhere.

Suck it, non-Jerseyans.

nothing's going to change the fact that you live in a state that's known for whores and cheap entertainment. they filmed the sopranos near you, and that's a bragging point? you'd think NY would get that bad of a rap, but you totally beat them out...and you're proud of it.

of course, i'm part of a whole that wants nyc to be a different state so we don't pay taxes that basically just go to support everyone living on the bottom floor of the city, but that's just me.

Hell yeah.

I, for one, was getting tired of Newark's bad rap and living off an exit. This is fantastic, and totally on key.

Other famous peeps they didn't mention include Zach Braff (who grew up a stone's throw from where I live) and Kal Penn (who actually went to my town's local high school). And the final scene of the final episode of the Sopranos was filmed in my town's well-known diner.

And, of course, there's the famed "New Jersey" episode of How I Met Your Mother, but I can't find a link for it anywhere.

Suck it, non-Jerseyans.

HEEEEEY! They forgot Bon Jovi.

As a fellow New Jersey-raised person that has also lived in Virginia for three years now, I can safely say that the primary driving difference between New Jersey drivers and Virginia drivers is that New Jersey drivers tend to have 0.001% of the patience. Actual driving ability, however, remains about equal between the two locations (re: quasi-nonexistent).

Don't know how other states compare, though.

If there is one thing that is universal between race, culture, and gender, it is that everyone thinks themselves to be above-average drivers.

Also, I don't know what part of Jersey it is, but it is the stinks. It's not north Jersey (specifically Hillsdale) but I was in somewhere in Jersey once and all of the middle schoolers I was with were freaking out at the smell.

my wife and i honeymooned at VA beach. being a new york driver, i'm used to people have some sort of control over the vehicles they drove.

not true in any sense of the word. and yet, the few massachusets drivers we saw were the worst of all =)

edit: jam stunna, you, as always, are teh awesome! make sure to leave that monitor in nj next time you're there, maybe it'll sink with everything else.

Don't forget Sinatra and Springsteen. Then again, I don't think anyone really chooses where they were born. Randomly, in my hometown, the original members of Catch 22 live there (though I've never heard any of their music) and so did Marc Ecko for some period of time.

*shrug*

Weird shizzle.

my wife and i honeymooned at VA beach. being a new york driver, i'm used to people have some sort of control over the vehicles they drove.

not true in any sense of the word. and yet, the few massachusets drivers we saw were the worst of all =)

edit: jam stunna, you, as always, are teh awesome! make sure to leave that monitor in nj next time you're there, maybe it'll sink with everything else.

If you ever feel the impulse to drive out here to Illinois, you'll see some far worse drivers. :razz:

When I was in South Carolina, I heard some nasty stories about women drivers on the freeway.

Funny story, though: My cafeteria has a conveyer belt that we put all our trays on. Sometimes they don't turn it on for a while so the trays get backed up. One night, I was really tired and in a hurry, and someone was going to put their tray down in the last open spot but I got there first. Someone looked at me and went, "Are you from New Jersey?"

First of all, DC metro area drivers are the worst anywhere. Second of all, the reason jersey gets a bad rap is all that anyone ever sees of it is the part that I-95 passes through. That, granted, is a shithole. However, jersey itself, on the whole, is beautiful and clean. New yorkers just like ragging on them because it makes them feel superior.

:D