OCR00167 - Faxanadu "Goofy Ska"

djpretzel

Little short. I haven't played Faxanadu in a long while but I do believe this was the main "outside-of-town-in-battle-places" theme. Oh man, listening to it makes me think of the line, "I've got Mattock" or something when you pick up the Mattock... which I initially confused for "I've got Matlock," hilariously reminding me of a grouchy Abe Simpson.

Anyway, like I said, it's short. It's kind of conservative.. but it's fun and goofy, with percussion galore. This is one of the site's older mixes, and it shows, but I think it still warrants a listening, especially if you've ever played Faxanadu.

I believe the arpeggios were available in the original source... but they're nice. And I would have really like to hear them around 1:11 (in the semi-breakdown) in the background of the second part of the song's second iteration (yeah that sentence even confused me). Plus, I didn't like the sudden ending. Might have been nice to see that second melody again but slightly varied before the song came to a close.

As far as brass samples go, and considering the age of the mix, this isn't too bad. Still sounds dreadfully fake, but I can get past that.

Definately a trippy mix, and an interesting listen. I don't know the source, but I can see how this might have been a much darker piece originally. The 'chorus' sounds repeated verbatim the second time, and the ending needs work. Still pretty decent.

Yyyeah, well noone's going to mistake this for a new mix.

It's a bit of fun. Blasting brass is always good, even if the samples sound like they are straight from a mid-range 90s synthesiser. But that is not worth slamming, since there is absolutely nothing wrong with sounding fake. I actually think striving to sound realistic is a limitation, so whatever. Old and not exactly necessary listening, but still a fun track that shouldn't offend anyone except elitist audiophiles.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00167 - Faxanadu "Goofy Ska"