Underground Fever (Mario Underground)

PrototypeRaptor

Disclaimer: This is very different from my previous mixes.

It's a kool and the gang inspired, james brown riddled, funkalicious disco groove straight from the 70's.

It's got the funky drummer, the strings, the synths, and even a flute solo.

I'm not sure if it would pass the panel for interpretation reasons, but it's definitely the underground theme at heart. (and a few of the others sneak their way in as well)

So what are you waiting for? Check it! Comments are welcomed.

link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=866156&songID=7047863

NOW GO DANCE

This is probably the most creative interpretation I've ever heard of this source tune.

I could totally see this working in a Paper Mario game, apart from the really synth-y bit, so I guess it comes off as fairly professional for a first post. (Not that the synth-y bit is bad, it's just not loop friendly.)

That being said, I felt the scream noise didn't sound quite blend and the flute seems to have an unrealistic amount of vibrato.

I never realized how awesomely this track lends itself to being so funky. I love it, even the "Woo!" sound effect. I would agree with Spakku that the flute's twittering is a bit much. I'd be cool with it if each note started with that sound and then it dropped out, instead of just going for the whole length.

I would absolutely love to hear an update of this and I think it has definite OCR viability if you plan to submit to judges. If you're not going to submit it, however, can we get a link where I can download the file? I'm having a hard time finding any link which allows me to "save as".

That flute thing isn't vibrato guys. Its flutter tonguing.

I'm not entirely sold on it, but then again, it sounds rather appropriate for this style (much like sax growling in rock music)

I like the funkyness, the brass sounds rather synthy, and the other strings... meh.

I like everything else though, its really nice. The sound effects too.

Mixing wise, I think you've got it. :-)

I dunno, the flutter tonguing obviously bothers some folks, but I like it. Mixed bag of opinions.

Yeah, the flute is flutter tonguing. It was a technique (ab)used by jazz/fusion flutes in the 70's and 80's.

(if you don't know what fusion is then SHAME ON YOU go listen to this right now:)

I was going to submit this, that's why there's no download link.

Just wanted to see if you liked it/if there was enough source in here for the judges.

Well, this is interesting.

Before I say anything else about this WIP, I need to preface my comments witht he following: I HATE DISCO MUSIC. WITH A BURNING, HELLFIRE, PREJUDICED, SLAUGHTER-THE-WORLD-AND-EVERYTHING-IN-IT IRE!

*Ahem!*

Now that's out of the way… …to the comments!

Okay, this is one seriously crazy interpretation of the SMW Underground Theme.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you.

:XD

I didn't have a problem with the flute flutter tonguing.

I agree with Cyril the Wolf about the brass.

(Playing the tuba for six years, I should know what brass instruments sound like, if I ridiculed behind their backs. Save for the trombones. :D )

And like Cyril, I felt the strings could have been better.

It still needs a little work, but the framework is there for an excellent arrangement.

Keep up the good work.