*WIP* You're Not Alone! (Terra Mix)

Lindar

Lead synth (when it enters) isn't bad.

The quality of the instruments by and large is rather low. There's a weak bass synth in the background that hangs around, but the lack of depth in the kick and the tinny hi-hats make it feel like this song has almost no bass at all, let alone balance.

You seem to follow the original arrangement verbatim, with a couple synths dancing around instead of the original instruments. I couldn't find

Synth at 0:40-1:04 before the lead enters, the "whoaaaa" synth...it sounds pretty bad. Low quality and off-putting. I'd recommend finding something else to plug that gap. Just before 2:05 I'd like to hear more piano. You lead into it eventually, and honestly the piano (while verbatim per the original score) is one of the best parts of the mix.

When that 'bad synth' comes back at 2:38, ugh. It sounds like it's offkey or something. The lead isn't bad, the piano works, the drums define 'basic' but are workable. Fix up some of the stuff that didn't fit. Like the ending. What are those two last sound effects, they sound like cables snapping before the voice sample closeout. Not a strong ending. Very confusing, actually, it's like the brain tries to process what those noises are, and then the song's over.

Other than that, it just seems way too close to the source to fit the guidelines here. You've thrown a trance drumline and a few mediocre synths over the original at this point, you need some more creative adaptations now.

Hey! :D

Intro is pretty cool, tho the piano could use more reverb to make it blend in more. Also, if you want the track to build up, save the main melody for later. Starting off with just pad and piano lets you have the track longer without repeating the melody.

0:38 the choir/organ/whatever writing is in the wrong key, and clashes with everything else. The sample itself isn't so bad, it just needs to be in the right key.

Mixing between the sawsynths (the trance sound ones) is a little poor, the rhythm one needs to have its resonance and cutoff lower, and the other one could have those two raised instead.

Drums at 2:25 get nice and interesting, good writing, but there's clipping and other unwanted distortion artifacts. You need this to be loud, but it can't clip. use a Limiter on the master channel as the very last thing you use. Before it, a multiband compressor is good to use, you get to compress each frequency band separately, gets you more headroom for the overall volume.

Pander's right about this being too conservative. Work out your own arrangement, your own backing to the melody, your own spin on the melody, your own chord progression, your own progression from part to part.

I think this is a step in the right direction tho. It's got energy. The drum patterns here are certainly worth keeping and using in a different arrangement, same source or something else.

New project: try writing something simple and reminiscent of this on roughly the same chords, and then move from that into this. See if that works. Or, use this to get some production/mixing practice. Whatever you think will let you improve the most. Good luck!

Okay, back to my vacation from the wip board...