Hybrid Heaven

SLyGeN

A friend of mine showed me this game yesterday. It's fucking revolutionary. Anyone else played it?

It's got the strategic aspects that make an RPG great, but also requires that the player be attentive and have some dexterity due to the 8-way run semi turn-based style. And it's for the Nintendo 64. I guess it was one of the last releases before the system became obsolete.

Plus, it's not dumb swords and potions. This one fucker grabbed me by the neck and chucked my ass over his shoulder. After round-housing his gut, I learned how to do that same neck throw at the end of the fight. You've also got choices of defense, including stepping your ass out of the way (not based on chance), instead of just sitting there like a dumbass a la Final Fantasy.

hybrid_screen002.jpg

The battles are kinda like Star Ocean and Tales of Symphonia, except, you know, not the same Japanese shit I'm sick of. It's like children; too many of them, the good games often get neglected, and half of them all look the same.

I read on Wikipedia that it received unenthusiastic reviews, but that it was hyped up quite a bit. I'd never heard of it, though, until yesterday.

I'll see if I can find some trashy reviews later; I'm curious to know what people complained about.

I read on Wikipedia that it received unenthusiastic reviews, but that it was hyped up quite a bit. I'd never heard of it, though, until yesterday.

I'll see if I can find some trashy reviews later; I'm curious to know what people complained about.

I remember it looking a bit generic...like Quest 64 in some ways, although the combat was different.

"And for God's sake, put some pants on next time!"

I wish I'd been able to finish the game. It was pretty damn good and while it may not have been the best game in the world, it certainly was different. That alone makes it worth keeping because it's not some generic beat-em-up or ignorable turn-based RPG.

Damn reviews scared me away to be honest. Recently, I've been wishing that I bought it back then.

Here's hoping for a Wii VC release.

Come on. A game stops being manufactured, and retailers don't have it?

Don't sit with your thumb up your ass; they're just asking you to load up Project64.

Same thing goes for other games. FF VII and Chrono Trigger being sold at prices higher than MSRP like they're damn antiques, and dangling the idea of a VC release to the point of blueballs? Fuck that.

Come on. A game stops being manufactured, and retailers don't have it?

Don't sit with your thumb up your ass; they're just asking you to load up Project64.

Same thing goes for other games. FF VII and Chrono Trigger being sold at prices higher than MSRP like they're damn antiques, and dangling the idea of a VC release to the point of blueballs? Fuck that.

Problem is that emulators aren't perfect and some games don't run right. For example, with Project64 I tried to play Rogue Squadron, just for nostalgia's sake, mind you. Well I got some nostalgia, all right. It was like the NES days all over again.

Garbled title screen and no playability because something was messed up somewhere. So while I do like to have save-states sometimes you just can't do without a physical copy and the hardware to run it on.

Problem is that emulators aren't perfect and some games don't run right. For example, with Project64 I tried to play Rogue Squadron, just for nostalgia's sake, mind you. Well I got some nostalgia, all right. It was like the NES days all over again.

Garbled title screen and no playability because something was messed up somewhere. So while I do like to have save-states sometimes you just can't do without a physical copy and the hardware to run it on.

Indeed, N64 emulation has a ways to go. For the games that do run at nearly-full capacity though.....

.. well whatever. Piracy is bad. Don't do it and make no mistake; I was never advocating it.

I was on a complete Konami high at the point in my life when Hybrid Heaven came out. I was psyched for it because I'd been playing Metal Gear Solid at the time, but I unfortunately never got to play it (only watched a friend play it briefly). It looked fun.

Still, one of my favorites on the N64, just like Winback and Mischief Makers.

I bought Winback, partially because it was the closest thing to Metal Gear Solid for the 64, and while the gameplay (and gunplay) was pretty fun, some of the level design was pretty bad.

Mischief Makers is a gem. A complete gem. <3 I loved every second of playing that game. Since we're throwing memorable 64 games in the ring, I'll give Pilotwings a toss, because of all the old N64 games, to me it still doesn't feel very aged when I play it. A good game.

Anyway, back to Hybrid Heaven. I'm really interested in the battle system, and the style of play. The offense/defense switch thing is pretty cool, and I remember there being a ton of moves in the game.

At what point is "utilizing freely-available material for personal amusement" interpreted as "piracy"? If the title is discontinued, then they aren't selling any copies. If they aren't selling any copies, they aren't making any money. Under those circumstances, then I can see no reason to use such a damning term.

Besides, what about people who sell their rare games on eBay and rake in like ten times what the game originally retailed for? Does that make them pirates or just opportunistic bastards?

At what point is "utilizing freely-available material for personal amusement" interpreted as "piracy"? If the title is discontinued, then they aren't selling any copies. If they aren't selling any copies, they aren't making any money. Under those circumstances, then I can see no reason to use such a damning term.

This is a good point; but only fools think that the Law and what is Actually Right are always mutually exclusive.

Going back on topic:

I remember playing this game. Had an intriguing story and a very interesting battle engine. I got stuck at one point and was never able to finsh it. I need to get this game and try and beat it again. Here's hoping for a VC release......:lol: Thanks for the reminder!