Star Ocean Series [Discuss latest sequel here]

SwordBreaker

Even if SO games don't always have the most solid story or gameplay progression, at least its plots are usually much more interesting than the typical Tales formula of:

-Hero sets out with childhood friend

-LOTS OF BS POLITICS

-Hero's friend becomes evil and turns into the final boss

-The final boss was only the mid boss

-Exploration, then the true final boss

I don't think I played a Tales game that deviated from that formula.

Destiny, Vesperia, Legendia,and Abyss break a lot of what you said.

I take it you only played Symphonia? Nice generalization.

the only thing in there is politics, but seriously, learn your tales games

SO = SWEET IM IN SPACE

CRAP IM IN MEDIVAL TIMES

nice trend there

also politics too olol

nice try

hey play nice you guys..

I think we can talk about Star Ocean without putting other games down.

@Red9 yeah I would definitely like to see that spreadsheet, I never really understood that workshop system in SO3 very much and I'd always end up making crappy items and my rank would always go down =(

The Tales series is definitely great stuff. After all, if it weren't for Tales, we wouldn't have Star Ocean.

Sadly, the only one I played was Symphonia which is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The story started off as an FFX rip-off but throw me off mid-game. I have Legendia, Abyss, Vesperia, and Symphonia II but I haven't started on any of them yet. I've been thinking on giving Abyss a shot first 'cause I heard a lot of good stuff about it.

Destiny, Vesperia, Legendia,and Abyss break a lot of what you said.

I take it you only played Symphonia? Nice generalization.

the only thing in there is politics, but seriously, learn your tales games

SO = SWEET IM IN SPACE

CRAP IM IN MEDIVAL TIMES

nice trend there

also politics too olol

nice try

Actually, they basically fall into the same cliche I just mentioned. Even if you don't have a childhood friend/acquaintance IN YOUR PARTY, they always turn evil with some sort of a semi-good ulterior motive until you figure out there's a bigger evil later on.

Tales games ALWAYS had a mid-"final"-boss. I'm not exactly putting it down for it, because I love the games. But the formula is definitely there.

As for Star Ocean, it tends to play out like a Star Trek TV episode. Including the whole going-back-to-ancient-times thing.

As for Star Ocean, it tends to play out like a Star Trek TV episode. Including the whole going-back-to-ancient-times thing.

Assuming they haven't changed the intro at all on the PSP version, a lot of you may have noticed how Trekky the opening of Star Ocean 1 is. He even says "Captain's log..." I love at the end when he says, "People say the universe is a Star Ocean." The thing that makes this more interesting is that the Japanese version of the original SNES game has it all just like that. With the English voice overs and everything. Blew my mind that they can even do that long of a dialogue on the SNES.

But anyway, you can tell that the creator must love his Star Trek. I mean they had a holodeck and transporters and everything in that game!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've been playing through Tales of Legendia and I'm about halfway through, and I have a question.

I've only played the original Phantasia and this Tales game, are ALL PS2 generation Tales games this ridiculously cheezy?? I mean it has its appeal, but i find myself skipping text as soon as I finish reading it to avoid the wacky voice jobs...

Hey guys, I've been playing through Tales of Legendia and I'm about halfway through, and I have a question.

I've only played the original Phantasia and this Tales game, are ALL PS2 generation Tales games this ridiculously cheezy?? I mean it has its appeal, but i find myself skipping text as soon as I finish reading it to avoid the wacky voice jobs...

No, it's just Legendia. It's sort of the black sheep of the series.

im in japan what came out? what is it? Can I have it too?

Star Ocean 4 for XBOX 360 of course. Hahaha. I hope you will be able to have it cause I'm sure it's gonna be sweet. Dude. where is Misawa? I live in Niigata Prefecture, which is pretty far from a lot of the most popular places. But hey, if we ever have a chance, we should get together yo. I've still NEVAR met ANY OCR people face to face. Stupid MAGfest always has to be held in freaking America. hahahha.

So I love Star Ocean 3. I think that from what I've listened to thus far, it's one of Motoi Sakuraba's best sound works, and the game itself is just great in terms of presentation and such. I think I can see why people were so up in arms with IU after playing a little of this.

And yet, no remixes :puppyeyes: Somebody do a boss themes medley already!!!! I'm actually gonna post that in the requests.

it's in aomori (sp?) the north end of honshu on the southeast corner of the big lake.....about an hour east of aomori city. We should man it'd be freakin sweet:nicework:

DUDE! Aomori's like right next to Niigata I think. Of course it would still be a pretty long way. I don't think the Shinkansen goes up that way so one of us would have to take the regular train.

DUDE! Aomori's like right next to Niigata I think. Of course it would still be a pretty long way. I don't think the Shinkansen goes up that way so one of us would have to take the regular train.

hey what do you know about the Punk Spring concert in tokyo around mid april?

on topic: How close in game play are tales games to star ocean? I only played the star ocean games...

hey what do you know about the Punk Spring concert in tokyo around mid april?

on topic: How close in game play are tales games to star ocean? I only played the star ocean games...

Tales = Think Star ocean, but faster, waaaay more hectic, and mostly 2D, with latest instalments becoming more SO3 like.

• 2 weeks later...

So, has anyone played SO4 yet?

I've been ADDICTED for the past week. Everything SO3 got wrong, SO4 got right. This is a true sequel to the first two games.

Micromanaging your characters is still awesome, but a lot more streamlined here. Battle system rocks and blindsiding is a cool addition. Item Creation is a lot more streamlined and less random than the first two, which is good in my book.

Only thing that has disappointed me thus far is the Private Actions. The first two Star Oceans had a much better system, in addition to having all of them voice acted on the PSP, unlike this one where only some of them have fully voiced cutscenes. With SO4, I noticed that most of the scenes occur in the ship when you're warping to a new planet, so they're practically impossible to miss. With the previous Star Ocean games, you basically press "Square" next to a town in the world map to engage in a PA sequence. Some of these sequences are really tricky as you have to backtrack to certain towns in certain points in the story. Also, you have to actually look for the characters all over town. Not only that, but certain PAs get you new playable characters as well...which results in different arcs in the story therefore a lot of alternate endings with certain character pairings and affinities and whatnot. With SO4, I read that there's only one basic ending that doesn't change as much...you only get a couple of added cutscenes if you play some of the PAs right. Moreover, there doesn't seem to be any additional or optional playable characters here.

Graphics are top-notch stuff. My only quirks are that some of the character animations are so last-gen and the facial expressions/lip-syncing are weak to nonexistent. To think that Final Fantasy X is a lot better than a next-gen RPG in that regard.

Motoi Sakuraba is a fucking genius! Amazing, amazing music here! I can never grow old from his trademark and familiar themes 'cause they all sound so epic. The music playing in closed dungeons is synthy and addicting. Villages are relaxing. Space music is just as epic as Star Wars films, especially the track that plays inside your ship. Voice acting won't get any awards, and Lymele or whatever is one of the most annoying characters ever. She sounds like some mentally-retarded child with that monotone voice delivery. Some of the dialogue and localization is also on the weak side, which brings down some of the solid voice actors.

Regarding the storyline, it's nice so far...nothing amazing. Pacing is kind of slow. I do like some of the references to the previous SO games, though.