Sonic Unleashed?

Overflow

So I downloaded the demo on the XBox 360 of the daytime level and I actually had a lot of fun with it. I know that the daytime levels are about the only good thing and that the werehog parts are terrible, but I was wondering if the daytime levels make it worth the purchase? And if so, which version is better: Wii or 360?

I'd say rent it first,

minor differences ala wiki

In the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, an on-screen "Ring Energy" meter is used to display how much boost is available The amount of boost remaining may be increased by collecting more rings, and is decreased when the player uses it. In contrast, the PlayStation 2 and Wii versions of the game, available boost is represented by bars, which may be increased by performing "Action Chains", destroying multiple enemies in quick succession through the use of homing attacks or by collecting rings.

Night-time levels have been adjusted in the Wii version to allow greater use of the Wii Remote, where players may control the arms of the Werehog by using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck in order to grab onto objects and move forward in the levels.

The Wii version of the game also expands upon the ratio of night-time levels to daytime, with more than three times as many night-time levels (twenty-five in all)

Hub-worlds operate differently depending on the version of the game being played; the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions feature fully-interactive, explorable 3D hub-worlds, where townspeople may be interacted with and sidequests may be undertaken, in order to gain experience or unlock items, such as artwork, videos and music tracks.

In contrast, the Wii and PlayStation 2 version features a menu-based map system, where players simply click the appropriate area to talk to the townspeople and find information

Because only the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions feature playable hub-worlds, this is also the only version in which Sun and Moon medals may be found by exploring the towns, talking to the citizens, and completing side-quests

what the fuck...?

I actually received this game as a gift for the 360 and I would say that the game's much better than most of the previous Sonic 3D outings, at least since Sonic Adventure 2.

The speed stages are quite brilliantly done as the sense of speed has been ratcheted up while making the levels have fewer pits. A couple of the challenge levels are a little mean about pits, but those are generally optional acts you don't have to do anyway. The speed stages are fun, fast, and are arguably the best Sonic experience in 3D yet, depending who you talk to.

The Werehog stages' big drawback is their repetitiveness. As it stands everything in the werehog sections generally work, so the gameplay's not broken like some would have you believe. It just borders on the tedious at times because the stages are often long. The other problem is the game's combat isn't really complex enough. Unlike in other brawling games like God of War or Star Wars: Force Unleashed, there's little incentive to learn to use your combination attacks. Most enemies can be defeated with a flurry of strong attacks. It's pretty much up to you to make your own fun with combat, considering there is a decent variety of things to do to your enemies, like killing them in amusing ways. It's just that they're frequently less effective than Strong Attack. There's the precise platforming elements in these stages too, which work generally, but are kind of unnecessary in some areas.

The thing I actually have the biggest problem with are the hubs. The NPCs, all of them, are all absolute idiots with nothing at all interesting to say. The only exceptions are Tails and Robotnik. Sometimes you're forced to talk to them to find out something you need to know. The game strongly stumbles there. The other drawback is the implementation of the Sun and Moon Medals, which serve to block access to later levels if you don't have enough (think Stars in Mario 64, only a lot less interesting.) You can generally find enough to get by if you explore and are diligent about collecting them in the first place, but you may occasionally hit walls on that you need more, forcing you to go play earlier stages again. My recommendation for dealing with this is scouring the Werehog stages for medals on your first trip through, considering they usually have a lot of them.

Overall, the game is a step in the right direction. Everything in the game is functional and works reasonably well, which has confounded me why so many reviewers have rated it lower than a 5 or a 6 for that. The game may not meet the expectations of the old-school 2-D Sonic fan (I'm actually one of those, but I don't let nostalgia blind my judgment) but at least it *works* unlike past iterations. The Speed stages are the highlight as usual, and they're generally done very well. The werehog stages could've been so much more, but they fall short of memorable to simply "functional." The hubs are annoying and largely unnecessary, but they're a small part of the game.

My recommendation is like the others. Rent it first. If you like it enough after that, give it a purchase. I actually am enjoying the game for the most part, so take that for what it's worth.

So I downloaded the demo on the XBox 360 of the daytime level and I actually had a lot of fun with it.

In Sonic Unleashed, demo plays you!

No, seriously, I felt like I was meant to have almost no control through the majority of that level. He's just supposed to swing from rails, duck through narrow openings, and basically be one fluid motion to the next. Didn't feel like I was supposed to input much at all.

So I downloaded the demo on the XBox 360 of the daytime level and I actually had a lot of fun with it. I know that the daytime levels are about the only good thing and that the werehog parts are terrible, but I was wondering if the daytime levels make it worth the purchase? And if so, which version is better: Wii or 360?

I seriously have a hard time imagining anyone having a fun time with that demo :( I thought it was so very terrible. But, i guess everyone's tastes are different.

I played the game on my dad's PS3 first. It was enjoyable... but different. I had to get use to it considering I still play Sonic Adventures 2 frequently.

I then rented it for my Wii. Still a fun game, however, after the first two levels, my wrist really hurt. That was not so enjoyable.

I think that I would perfer playing it on the PS3 rather then on the Wii. Less pain... >_>