Which Media Player/Codec Pack do you use?

SwordBreaker

For me, it's a combination of GOM Media Player and CCCP that contains Media Player Classic. I heard that CCCP is a clean install that contains everything that I need so I went with it. Regarding GOM, it has been a better experience for me than VLC 'cause it gives me fewer crashes. I don't know whether VLC has improved recently...haven't used it in a long while.

I'd like to try Real Alternative and uninstall the useless Real Player from my laptop. I did try QuickTime Alternative for a bit but it had a few issues with me.

Winamp for any music, and I also use the CCCP codec pack as well, but I prefer to use VLC player for most videos. It turns out that when you run multiple monitors, Media Player Classic sometimes crashes hard, requiring me to either go into the Task Manager really quickly or hit the big reset button on the PC. Something about it just doesn't like being moved across two monitors...

But if it has soft subs and/or multiple language tracks, then it goes to Media Player Classic. It handles them so much better then VLC does.

I used to use Media Player Classic with the FaxMactor Essential Codecs Pack. FaxMactor ECP has some beef with windows media player I guess, but it was able to run about 95% of all the videos I played.

I've since switched to VLC. Although I haven't run across any incompatibility issues yet, the "fix avi" option is very nice. There's some seeking trouble though. Whenever I seek, the picture freezes in place and the audio is all that really seeks. The solution is to seek again, since it happens about 50% of the time. It's rather annoying though.

VLC & Winamp if there aren't any problems, MPC as a backup for video files that for one reason or another give VLC beef.

I hate codec nonsense, having to download a zillion, etc... VLC is a godsend in terms of packaging everything together in a clean way, and their latest update makes the interface at least a lil bit slicker, plus supports AVCHD from my Canon Vixia that Larry was whoring around at MAG...

I personally use the klite codec pack, media player classic, and winamp for music (original I know). When I worked for Dell back in the day and customers had issues with codecs, I was supposed to point them to cole2k for codecs.

http://www.cole2k.net/

It's a pretty good one, but I like the klite one better. I'll have to try out that CCC whatever pack most people here use.

As far as VLC goes, I just don't like the interface, and have had trouble with it in the past. I was using Zoom player for video for a while, but I went back to MPC cause it works a little more smoothly, and lets you use double click to full screen instead of only alt+enter. The Zoom player is nice as an alternate however because it lets you play the stuff with multiple audio streams and subtitles and the like.

Program-wise, I use Winamp for MP3s/Oggs etc (compressed sound files), and mplayer2.exe for (nearly) everything else. I bring in VLC or QuickTime if all else fails.

Media Player Classic is alright, but I think the name is a slight insult. What I'm using is what I consider to be the 'classic' windows media player.

When I watch a video, I have very simple requirements. I want it to be able to play what I want to watch, I want to be able to pause or start it with the spacebar, I want to be able to full screen it with Alt+enter, and I don't want it to waste additional RAM doing other elaborate things I have no interest in.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken.. mplayer2.exe is absent in Vista. I'm glad I still use XP.

VLC is a godsend in terms of packaging everything together in a clean way, and their latest update makes the interface at least a lil bit slicker, plus supports AVCHD from my Canon Vixia that Larry was whoring around at MAG...

I decided to check the new version out (I was still running v 8.6!), but for some reason, the newest version has issues with multiple monitors. Normally, if I drag the video window onto monitor 2, and then full screen it, it stays on that monitor. But the newest version automatically puts it on the first monitor. No matter what I did (including the steps listed in their official and unofficial help sections), it would not work properly. Also, it kept crashing.

One email with technical info later, I went back to v 8.6, and it hasn't had a problem since.