OCR01067 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 & 6 'Those Chosen by the Medly'

djpretzel

Been a while since I submitted a (decent) remix,

This one begins with FF7's Those Chosen By The Planet's eerie beats and choir, mixes with part of FF8's Liberi Fatali.

At 2:43, an eerie choir rendition of the melody from FF9's Kuja's theme comes in to play, and the piece finishes off with FF6's Terra's theme.

Hope you enjoy!

Seph - i - roth roth roth

First Impressions:

Wow... nice intro. And some very nice ideas being thrown around. Very clean sound, which is a huge plus.

you even brought a piano to the party. Schway

You mix things up... there's dynamic change in the piece. All pluses

Lasting Impression:

Very, very, very nice. It works on alot of levels. You get a strong Yes, which is the nicest present anyone has ever given me.

hmmm

Mastering's weird on this. Or maybe it's the panning. Or the encoding. Makes it sound like my headphones are slightly unplugged. Or rather the effect is the same.

I'd say re-encode this one, please. It's not too long to keep it under the 6 meg limit. Interesting ideas, but the quality is pretty low. I'm gonna say no based on that alone, seeing as the quality level has come up a good deal in the last year or so, so:

NO

D

I like arrangement, but I agree with Dan that the mastering seems to be rather low quality.

But for now I'm going to give this a NO on the grounds that the audio seems to "click" several times throughout- and this is something that is extremely distracting and should not be in a finished product.

But since no else has mentioned the "clicks," maybe there's just something wrong with my setup.

I'm hearing several throughout the piece (:08, 1:55 and many other places). Can one of the other judges confirm if they hear them or not?

For now, NO

At first I thought the organ at :08 just began too early, but it's probably off because of the same click that's present throughout the mix. That and the utterly poor EQ bothered me.

Aside from that, I wasn't too impressed with the arrangement. The synth arpeggio is overrused as a transition into the separate themes and as a general accompaniment. Much of the instruments used share the same vague-sounding timbre, making some polyphonic sections sound like a blaring siren. Medleys of popular themes are difficult to carry out, usually sounding like half-assed chained renditions, and this is too borderline of a rearrangement to not be an exception.

NO

Hmmmm... sound quality's a bit lacking in this one right off the bat. Also, that organ sounds RIDICULOUS. Gets better after everything else comes in, though. Veeeeeery wide sound, but not necessarily in a bad way. Just sounds very stereo through headphones. This is cool, though. The arrangement is really nice and flows well, and the sounds, while not top notch, certainly work quite well in this. I do hear some clicks and pops, though. The hits and such, which sound pretty cheesy, actually compliment the overall sound nicely.

Another case of more positives than negatives, really.

YES