OCR01805 - Chrono Trigger "But the Future Refused to Change"

djpretzel

Nice. Pretty awesome reMix. I love how you seemlessly linked all the playable characters' themes around the 2 minute mark and later on in the piece. The song really gives the feeling that you're at the final moment facing the final boss, and that everything that you had done up to this point and all the playable characters comes together to finish Lavos once and for all. Great feeling. Hope to hear more from you, dude.

wow doug! - not what i was expecting to hear at all

lots of variety - very progressive - creative use of the synths - production is def sounding slick

i think my favorite parts are the very tasty bass arpeggiations :D

little bit of piano was great - need more of that ;)

only thing that sounded weird was the cacophony at 1:48 between the piano and organ

Awesome work Doug !

You managed to bring very different elements (church organ, synth bass, rock drumkit, saturated guitar) and blend them in a way that actually makes a helluvalotta sense, and I think that's your greatest achievement on this piece (my humble opinion).

I just got a Korg M3 and am trying to come up with my firt ever ReMix (would love it to be a CT piece as I believe it has one of the best ever game soundtracks), and listening to this work of yours both stimulates my imagination and intimidates me... Your mastery of sampling, sequencing and keyboard playing are all evident and I congratulate you on them !

Keep 'em coming !

Dang, that's cool.

It's so... indescribable.

It's like a chimera, bits and pieces amalgamed together.

The title is awesome, and it just seems so appropriate; with such an amalgam of instruments/sounds, its like someone recorded all the audio that came out of some time vortex or something.

All in all, awesome work :nicework:

This is a must download.

I LOVE the piano part at 4:17 or so combined with the bassline. Such a great moment, it gives me chills. Fantastic drumwork as always, and the synth lines really work to bring everything together. Can't wait to hear more from you. In fact, when are we going to finally collab on something? :P

I have to be honest, I'm not entirely sold on some parts of the mix (some of the stranger parts kinda bring me out of the 'awesome trance'), but overall it's so very well done that it's quite enjoyable none-the-less. Great work, man!

I hate -- HATE -- "Last Battle." I can't really explain why, but on an otherwise awesome soundtrack filled with great memories, it still makes me cringe. I say this, so that I can thank you for taking the feel of its rolling bass and turning it into the foundation for something really enjoyable. Solid job, and I'm loving the incorporation of lots of different melodic sources -- all of them add something, and none ever feel like they're overstaying their welcome.

Wow, such a large number of themes here, and yet somehow it's all woven together in a way that makes perfect sense, at least to a longtime OCRemix listener :-D . I really liked the organs, and bassy synth that gets a little higher and higher as the song goes on, with the piano finally adding an offsetting, peaceful element towards the end.

Not always a fan of merger mixes but this one is money, and I can't wait to hear more!

Bigmothp, I think that IS a distorted trumpet in there.

What a different Remix. But, that's why it's called OC REMIX. I always like synth myself. This one really shines with the Last Battle theme from Chrono, but there are other songs represented in here! I like that idea. To me, the drums and beats really stand out.

DrumUltimA, well with a name like that, who wouldn't like some drums in there?! Very interesting, I like parts of this song, but it doesnt seem to flow very well.

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback so far! I worked really hard on this one :) The fact that this turned into a "medley" of sorts was kind of accidental... djp hit the nail on the head in that I was going for a more narrative sort of thing: Chrono and his friends were all fighting lavos, but then lavos tricks them into thinking he's turned around, and then eats them in the end! But that's why I used all of those themes. I'm glad it worked out so well! :D

Also, the instrument at 2:00 was actually a distorted sax sample ;) So that was pretty close.

Thanks everybody!!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01805 - Chrono Trigger "But the Future Refused to Change"