Concerns About the Spam Bots

Abadoss

This is to any moderators, Larry, or djp. I've been noticing increased activity by spam bots, particularly ones that seem to post the same 18 threads over and over again. I've been reporting each of the threads, but that takes a quarter of an hour or more to report them all - given the minute waiting time between each.

I have two questions mainly. Should I not attempt to report all the threads and just do one, making mention of the multiple threads? And what else can be done to keep these bots off the boards or take down their drivel faster?

Thank you.

Don't even bother reporting 'em, we see 'em. Really it's a just a matter of when people are around to delete them, which we always do in time, even if a flood of posts seemingly gets out of hand. AFAIK, once Dave switches to VB 3.8, there should be some CAPTCHA in place for the signups that should hopefully reduce the problem. I believe he needs to finish templating the v3.8 forums. In the meantime, the posts are definitely annoying, but don't worry about it or waste the time reporting them, it's cool.

The flood always comes on saturday afternoon, when it's morning across America and most of the moderators are asleep. The posts usually remain there for hours until someone takes care of them. You really need to expand to a more global mod team so the forums can be kept tidy during the odd hours.

If you're seeing more on Saturday, it's because we're asleep on Friday night, as you said, but there's no particular flood time. New bots register pretty much throughout every day at any hour; I It's a minor inconvenience, and some get through to stay up for a couple hours some nights, but it's otherwise taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...