Sonic 2 Mystic Cave orchestral arrangement

thomas_kresge

Here I have an orchestral rendition of the Mystic Cave BGM from Sonic 2. The first version of this I did years ago as part of a big project of mine where I orchestrated and arranged every piece of music from the original Sonic trilogy (including Sonic & Knuckles). As those were just MIDIs, I've finally begun to go through and stick these arrangements into my newer sound library. This is one of those songs that I feel I've redone about eighteen times as everytime I get a new program or sound library I end up redoing the whole project from the beginning. Anyways, here's what I got. The song is short, but I meant it to be that way in the context of the entire project I have.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yr1mkngymxj

The instruments' volumes throughout tend to be biased toward the higher notes, which doesn't work for me with such a bass-focused source tune. The brass section sounds off-key at a few spots. Your :20 - :40 section needs more work than the rest.

That being said, I never thought that this song would lend itself to an orchestral arrangement and I think this could be great with some more work.

The instruments' volumes throughout tend to be biased toward the higher notes, which doesn't work for me with such a bass-focused source tune. The brass section sounds off-key at a few spots. Your :20 - :40 section needs more work than the rest.

That being said, I never thought that this song would lend itself to an orchestral arrangement and I think this could be great with some more work.

Thanks for the comments, Spakku. Could you be a little more specific on some of them, though? The comments seem a little to general, i.e. ":20-:40 needs more work." And what spots could you points out that sound off-key?

Thanks again!

Quick disclaimer: I've never made a remix of any kind and have no idea how difficult it is. That said...

Your samples are great, as far as I can tell. Perhaps a little variation of articulation in brass at sections like 0:21-0:40 would help.

As far as shortness, that would be easily resolved once original material is added (not sure if that's a requirement, but it would help avoid repetition). Perhaps a subtler introduction instead of immediate fortissimo would serve your purposes?