Classic Ancient PC Dos VGs

Less Ashamed Of Self

Hey all, I've recently tweaked out my laptop to be able to run retro dos pc games and I was just wondering if y'all could opinionate me on which ones were worth a darn.

Primarily I'm thinking of Lucasarts/Adventure games but I'm open to any of the more important classics I may have missed.

I've played Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2, Loom, and I'm working on Day of the Tentacle right now. All, imo, very worth the time.

Any others?

Danke.

Sam'n'Max: Hit the Road

The Dig

Full Throttle

Pretty much any of the old Lucasarts adventure games were pretty good. I think there's an Indiana Jones one as well... but I haven't played that one for myself. Sam'n'Max is probably my favorite because of the deranged humor and puzzles you have to solve.

quest for glory quest for glory quest for glory quest for glory quest for glory quest for glory quest for glory

Yes, yes, yes. Primarily the first and fourth. I give them my highest recommendation as far as classic games go.

Sam'n'Max: Hit the Road

The Dig

Full Throttle

Pretty much any of the old Lucasarts adventure games were pretty good. I think there's an Indiana Jones one as well... but I haven't played that one for myself. Sam'n'Max is probably my favorite because of the deranged humor and puzzles you have to solve.

Yes, these too, and the Indiana Jones Scumm VM games were great from what I remember. Some these require a Mac emulator though, I think. If you do get a Mac emulator, then you should play Escape Velocity Override if you want to play a great story-oriented space shooter, or just get EV Nova for PC which lets you play them all with a mod.

Also not adventure, but Commander Keen was pretty fun, at least, at the time.

seconded on The Dig.

It's not terribly long, but the soundtrack is phenomenal and the atmosphere in the game is excellent.

It's not an adventure game, but I also heartily recommend "Realms of the Haunting" if you can find a copy of it. It's more of a hybrid FPS/Adventure game with a lovecraftian horror theme. It's the first computer game that ever truly frightened me.

Abuse - old Contra-style platformer with FPS style keyboard+mouse controls. This really added a whole new layer to the genre as the much more flexible controls allowed them to really pump up the action in the game, add more complex enemy movement beyond the same old predictable patterns, etc etc.

Ecstatica - Old survival horror game which used spheres instead of polygons to build 3D models. It was pretty creepy at the time as there was always that demon monkey stalking you and those fucking minotaurs could seemingly chase you all across the game world.

Little Big Adventure - Really one of the best adventure games ever. The gamplay would change depending on what stance your character uses. In normal stance, you talk to people and read and all that shit, in aggressive stance it's more like a beat em up, athletic is the platforming stance for getting across obstacles and stuff, and in sneak stance it turns into a stealth game. You also get a bouncing ball you can throw around (which changes depending on which stance you use). This can be used for either attacking enemies or solving various puzzles.

Oh, and you can beat the crap out of your wife too.

Albion - Old CRPG. It's sort of like Phantasy Star, with a mix of top-down and first person 3D environments, but with the added depth you'd expect from a WRPG when it comes to dialog and stuff. Combat is also more strategic/tactical. This game really puts into perspective just how fucking dumbed down the genre has become as of late.

I wish I was more into DOS games. I wasn't the PC person I developed into now back then. Also, GeckoY, you made me crave some. That Abuse game looks insane. Wish games like that were around. I did play the Star Wars games (for some reason SW Chess and Monopoly were my addiction), and a few others (mainly racers...futuristic...) but I'm brain farting hardcore right now as to wtf they are.

yeah Major Stryker really did have fantastic music. I tried playing it the other day, though, and damn, are EGA graphics hard to look at these days

if we're going into Apogee games, I'll also have to recommend "Hocus Pocus" for a fast-paced platformer/shooter

let's see, I also seem to remember "Zone 66" being a really awesome top-down bidirectional scroller shooter if you can figure out how the hell to run it (it has some wacky crap that you have to mess with)

Raptor: Call of the Shadows for another good vertical scroller:

Jazz Jackrabbit (was then touted as a Sonic killer for God knows what reason):

also the original Prince of Persia games are a must