Original Rpg Intro Screen Music

MichaelTheCrow

I am slowly making my own RPG soundtrack inspired by my imagination of what my type of RPG would have if I made a game.

It's fairly short and the reason it suddenly cuts off is because then it will jump straight into the title screen music. So here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/xarufnv24a

EDIT: Version 2(Oboe added):

http://www.box.net/shared/e3tamyinjk

I don't think the quality of this composition would match up to remixing standards, I thought I might as well do some original work first and try to get better at it before I attempt anything else so then I will be more prepared :).

Not sure what I will call this title yet, any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks, so I've got the right vibe.

I'm using the harp soundfont found on Darkesword's soundfont page. All are soundfonts except for the string section. A bit mechanical sounding? Well it is a free instrument so I guess it's to be expected half of the time, I really need to invest on purchasing an orchestral plugin. I want to upgrade to Sonar 8 professional edition because it comes with Dimension Pro, which I hear has Garritan Pocket Orchestra instruments in it's sound library.

I have a new version with an Oboe solo which a member from a different forum contributed, so thanks to Darklight of zfgc.com for his input. Also I've done minor volume adjustments and panned some of the instruments a little bit:

http://www.box.net/shared/e3tamyinjk

Well I'm glad it was only a small issue, a new update soon. I've got a velocity plug-in which can randomize by a certain amount and have a tendency to have higher chance to play louder notes more often or softer. And then quantanising midi data, i set the snapping to like a quarter of a bar, and only set the strength to 2 percent, gives it more of a humanising effect.

Besides adding that it's just about complete, title screen music will kick in straight afterwards, so expect that in the update :). I'm having much fun doing this, it'll be a challenge making 30 or more tracks but rewarding nonetheless!

Well I'm glad it was only a small issue, a new update soon. I've got a velocity plug-in which can randomize by a certain amount and have a tendency to have higher chance to play louder notes more often or softer. And then quantanising midi data, i set the snapping to like a quarter of a bar, and only set the strength to 2 percent, gives it more of a humanising effect.

Besides adding that it's just about complete, title screen music will kick in straight afterwards, so expect that in the update :). I'm having much fun doing this, it'll be a challenge making 30 or more tracks but rewarding nonetheless!

Can you hook me up with that plugin :puppyeyes:?? Cuz the randomizer for FL studio kinda blows goat lol.

And Wow @ the 30 tracks thing. I'm going to be working on two OSTs myself for two different private companies ^_^ though I don't think I'll be doing 30 tracks for them lol. Keep at it :<

I would but it's a built in MFX plugin that comes with Cakewalk Music Creator 4.

But I found this plugin which might be of some use, not sure how to get it working though: http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/3846/software/MidiBag/

Check out humanizer, I couldn't figure how to get it working cause I'm unsure how to use vst to control midi data, but it can randomize timing, velocity, pitch and modulation. Hope that helps.

Haha yeah, 30 tracks would be nice, it's a big goal but not impossible, if you think about it there would be several overworld themes, town themes, battle and boss themes and everything that comes in between. Should easily add up to 30 or more :).

Wow, getting to work on OST for private companies? I wish you much luck with that.

Haha yeah, 30 tracks would be nice, it's a big goal but not impossible, if you think about it there would be several overworld themes, town themes, battle and boss themes and everything that comes in between. Should easily add up to 30 or more :).

You think THAT's big? Check out the damn FF6 ost... over 70 tracks on that (and all of them are spectacular, of course). Have you got your work cut out for you...

For what's here, it's good, but I feel that this is only half of the song. If this is a title screen, then it definitely needs to be longer. I mean, seriously; how will you reward those listeners that actually let the title screen run on just to hear the entire song? MM3's title screen did it; those that were always impatient and pushed start too quickly missed out on one of the best VG songs ever created...

Like I said, though, it's great so far for what it is!

A lot of OST's are massive, especially from the FF series :). Well it's intro screen music, basically a prelude that introduces the theme of the game, perhaps starting with some story or a legend. What hasn't been completed yet is when it goes straight to the actual title screen, I've been able to accomplish a build up from the intro to when you see the game title scroll down or however it gets there. It's more up tempo and suspenseful at the moment.

For me 30 is huge, well for a first project anyway, I've only made few tracks ever that I have completed and this will keep me going. But thanks for that, I see what you mean by MM3's title screen, most games from that era just played like a few seconds of music and the title screen had no music. Thankfully with my OST it's not the case, I'll be adding the soon to be completed title screen music in a couple of days.