Has a game ever changed the way you thought?

Xenogears had that sort of effect on me, to take a step back and look at my life. Really, Earthbound too.

Kind of off topic, puzzle games like tetris attack, magical drop, sudoku... i'll close my eyes and continue playing as i'm drifting off to sleep, like my brain is still trying to piece together these fictional puzzles. I know this happens to other people too XD but i tend to play a lot of puzzle games...

Adventures of Lolo.

I'd get stuck then work though a ton of different possible solutions in my head as I went to bed, it helped a lot actually.

after I played through Portal, for the next few days I looked at elevated orthogonal architecture in terms of how I would portal myself up there and then caught myself and wondered what I was thinking

I just bought Prince of Persia: Sands of Time a couple weeks ago, and it's done the same thing for me. Every structure I see now looks like an obstacle course, and I constantly catch myself looking for ways to swing, wall-run, and ledge-climb my way around.

Of course, being a gymnast, this has always been true to some extent, but PoP brought it out a lot more.

cvximage.jpg

castlevania.jpg

oron_akumajo_dracula_x.jpg< Click for 1024 x 768

Castlevania gave me an interest in dark, Gothic paraphernalia as well as a zeal for old-fashioned art and deep emotion. Whenever I want to make a dark vibe, I don't look to modern music much; rather, I pay attention to the sound and structure of Castlevania themes.

Personally, I like almost every Castlevania game.

Earthbound and the whole Mother series made me step back and appreciate life. It just did something to me, and I can honestly say that these games have final bosses that I feel sorry for. The games just "did" it for me. They could be funny, amazing, and sad, just like life. In the games you're just an average guy who has to do something wonderful. The games were so well-written and could go from making you laugh to tearing out your heart and stomping it to a pulp. Mother 3, I'm looking at you. >:

Oh, and Max Payne makes me like to run entire film-noir monologues in my head as I go about my daily life.

Many games have moved me and made me think. Silent Hill 2 is a good example, the story line is one that doesn't judge any of the characters, there is no such thing as a good or evil person, just people who react to their given environment and situation, it simply shows how each one of them deals with a particular situation. Such a thing has helped me to feel more sympathetic and understanding of others.

Shinra forced me to realize that using a planets resources is correct and necessary for life and profit. Even if it involves a meteor coming to hit us in 2012.....lol

but out of the mgs series, it was 3 that really touched my brain in a strange manner. I silent walk everywhere. I wear neutral and earth tone clothes that fit in with the locale. I have a decent stock of calorie mates(delicious), a ww2 era tactical weight bearing harness with a home brewed medical kit, that would rival most local medical facilities in terms of usefulness. and i even went so far as to regularly eat raw fish. scary.

I don't know if my thoughts have ever REALLY changed, but I have certainly learned things and been influenced by them.

For instance, the Metal Gear Solid series really got me into enjoying real life politics as a kid and teenager. Now, in my twenties, I'm really glad I researched all the political scenarios in MGS because it's nice to know all this stuff. Its also got me really into history. Politics and history.

And because of that, I've found that I really enjoy taking these courses at my university. So... Metal Gear really has influenced my life to the point of affecting my thoughts, I guess, now that I think about it.

:)

Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I ever played. I played, and beat it, at the tender age of three. I'm sure gaming at that young age has drastically effected my development. I wonder what I would be like if my first game hadn't been Sonic?

Legend of Mana was the first game I played that really drove home the artistic possibilities of visual media. Everything in the game from the music, to the general design, to the combat visuals floored me. It turned the whole game into a fantasy storybook of sorts.

killer7. I don't think I can say enough about Suda51 in general, but killer7 especially influenced my thinking. Its a piece of modern art. You have to adapt your thinking to it, and at the same time, it tempts you with the possibility that maybe there is no real answer. The only thing you get in the end is a curiously shaped, incomplete puzzle. To make a whole picture, you need to substitute elements of your own consciousness and subconscious as pieces. Before reading any tracts on modernism and postmodernism, killer7 showed me the limitations of traditional ideas concerning art, narrative, and our relations to the world.

You know when Zelda 64 first came out and you could turn Link and it would just immediately face the direction you wanted to go (there was no turning animation really) and as a kid I remember expecting being able to turn like that in reality because I'd played Zelda 64 a little too much. When I was like, wow I actually did a rotation to reach this point, and I thought about how strange it was.

Serious.