Mega Man 2 - Wily 1 -- For You - Vox Mix

AkumajoBelmont

I won't lie. I sing this in my car on the way to school.. without the song, or any wily mix playing. Though my singing voice is not nearly as refined and skilled as yours (nor am I too adapt about staying in key), I think my voice can make a timbre similar to yours. Hurray..?

So...it would be awesome if you finished this because a) it's awesome and B) i'd much rather hear someone else sing it better than I can and on top of other instruments... through a stereo system where I can control the volume and stuff, lol.

Edit: Someone said remix of the year? Yeah this could be it.

I won't lie. I sing this in my car on the way to school.. without the song, or any wily mix playing. Though my singing voice is not nearly as refined and skilled as yours (nor am I too adapt about staying in key), I think my voice can make a timbre similar to yours. Hurray..?

So...it would be awesome if you finished this because a) it's awesome and B) i'd much rather hear someone else sing it better than I can and on top of other instruments... through a stereo system where I can control the volume and stuff, lol.

Edit: Someone said remix of the year? Yeah this could be it.

LOL I sing this on my way to school as well! This is becoming a crazy trend :razz:. Well, it will when the finished version is out (nudge/wink lol)

Remix of the Year? Hell yeah. Someone agrees wih me...

Yes, I'm still on the 'This is a f*cking great song!!' train... but I personally feel the key change could've been done better, there :P (Ducking as people throw tomatoes at me :tomatoface:)

Now I'm not saying get rid of the key change... the preparation for it is just too aggressive to my ear. I also hear the four repetitions as lingering, like AJ-enova said earlier.

I have a suggestion to fix both 'problems' at once - Don't change the key until after the first two repetitions of the chorus instrumental, then hit us with the key change exactly when the singing for the chorus occurs. It'll make the section more interesting AND it'll transition the key change better (if it's by half step, it's often good to jump into it suddenly - it gives an accent to the piece).

Again, great song... Finish it already!

I've heard quite a few remixes of the original track, but as I listened to your remix for the first time, I was entranced by the fact that it was effing awesome on its own. I wasn't even listening for the source tune at all. I admit I didn't even hear the source tune at first, but the fact that I didn't care speaks volumes, I think.

Very nice work. I third the "VG mix of the year" comment. :)

I've heard quite a few remixes of the original track, but as I listened to your remix for the first time, I was entranced by the fact that it was effing awesome on its own. I wasn't even listening for the source tune at all. I admit I didn't even hear the source tune at first, but the fact that I didn't care speaks volumes, I think.

Very nice work. I third the "VG mix of the year" comment. :)

Hell yeah!

Finish it soon! :puppyeyes:

So here's the latest update!

WIP 5!!!

http://www.box.net/shared/3gojobov2s

The biggest differences you'll hear is the new percussion. I changed the kick and few other bits and pieces. Actually, this sounds a fair bit different to the last WIP.

Still needs a hell of a lot of polish. Many effects still missing, and some of the instrumentation is still not there. However, this sounds a lot cleaner than any of the previous WIP's. The vocals are clearer, more harmonies in the chorus etc...

The last chorus is in there now too!!! Also added some vox to the outro. They aren't mixed in properly yet, but they're there!

Transitions still need way more work.... now more than ever due to the fact I've completely overhauled everything. Expect these (intro, transitions, outro) to be filled out soon enough! The chorus needs work too. There's some placeholder effects in there, so they'll be worked out.

Newly added bass line to the chorus too!!!

So structurally, everything is now in place and complete. Just loads of spit and polish to do.

Enjoy!

Adding the chorus was a big improvement to that last part, needless to say!

How many 'effects' were you planning on putting in there? Like you said before, the new sounds added into the piece currently are placeholders, but those seem to drown the original effect a little. I hope the permanent sounds are not as obtrusive to the piece as a whole...

Thanks for the update! I'm sure there are gonna be a lot of happy people when they hear this one...

I'm so happy to hear this update! Finally, the missing chorus!

When I read that you had added new effects to the last update, I was afraid it would be too much. But I am obviously a fool for doubting your genius. The back-up harmonies and layering (as far as emphasis) are excellent. It sounds beautiful and I love the high-pitched vocals at the end. Great work, A-B.

What are you using to record this, by the way?

Nice touch-ups compared to the the last WIP but I do have a little nit-pick with the piece overall losing a little bit of... presence with the cleaner approach. It's great overall, don't get me wrong, but it has just gone a little soft with the current percussion setup.

Vocals pulled out really well with this. Who knew that you'd go with the ending section?

Otherwise, a nice improvement from WIP4. Keep on going. *thumbs up*

It's great overall, don't get me wrong, but it has just gone a little soft with the current percussion setup.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. This is my biggest gripe with it at the moment too! I intend to remedy this however with some more instrumntation, which just isn't there at the moment. I've been listening to a lot of music lately where the percussion is understated, yet the instrumentation really pulls trhough... I'm going to go for this approach. Sounds silly, but yeah, I'm playing around with some stuff as we speak, so expect a big improvement in this area soon!

Thanks for the feedback guys! :D

• 1st thought - The echo makes it sound VERY professional
  • 2nd - The alterations to the rythem are PERFECT. Same to the weak synth in the background
  • 3rd -The passive rythem in the background to the chorus really makes it come alive!
  • The repeat of the chorus is entrancing (i kind of missed the instrumental section)
  • The End is SO Epic

My only words of advice are have the instrumental part before the final chorus, but only play it twice! (not FOUR times lol)

Apart from that - EXCELLENT

Those a cappella vocals in the end are badass. Though they sometimes remind me of some sort of strange laughter, they really pull everything together and end the piece emotively - the emotion in this piece is one of its finest qualities - so it works well.

Maybe this is me overkillingly nitpicking, but there is some weirdness to the second chorus. Something is bugging me about "there's nothing" - it comes off a little unnatural, and i'm not sure what's the reason - the lead vocals, or the backing? It sounds rushed, maybe? ...but the rest sounds great.

this is probably my favorite on all of OC remix....

It truely is a piece of art.

Im not sure about some of the lyrics, but your vocals sound amazing.....Like Wow.....

Half the time i stop listening to what you're saying and just get lost in the sound of the music. Not trying to creep you out or anything like that, but your voice suits this dark emotional atmosphere better then most of the stuff i have heard before.

The only thing that bothers me is that the opening notes of the song sounds, idk, almost forced.... like it comes in too strong....

It suits the overall song, but idk, its just something ive been thinking about, maybe you agree?

Again, spectacular job on this song. I can not wait until its finished!

Hey man, great mix. On my first listening, the moment I heard the vocals, I thought, "What? He's going to ruin a perfectly good source tune by singing it?" But let me tell you, friend, that I was dead wrong. The vocals are AMAZING, and I especially dig your harmony. The end kinda reminds me of "Gangster's Paradise," going all a capella like that. That's a GOOD thing, by the way.

Another highlight for me is the contrast of the high-timbred (if that's even a word) synth and percussion with the warm piano, and especially vibes, which show up in the middle/end of the song. I wouldn't mind hearing those vibes louder or more often throughout.

I also LOVE that you do a key change, but it feels really abrupt to me. On my first listening, I was expecting the motif to keep moving upwards, and was disappointed to hear it go from a C# minor chord (or is it Db minor?) to an Eb minor chord and stop there. I accepted it after I realized it was a key change, but I still think I would prefer a buildup where the synth goes something like E-EEE-C#-F#-F#F#F#-D#-G#-G#G#G#-E-Bb-BbBbBb-F-Bb (sorry for all the enharmonics and weird notation). Now you have a bunch of tension on the Bb, because it's the raised sixth in the old key of C# minor. Then there's a brief pause, followed by the vocals coming in on the and of three (Bb-Ab-Gb, in the melody), and then on the downbeat of the next measure the synth resolves upward to a C flat (or is it a B natural?). Booyah! And you still have two measures to build up the energy before you get to the tonic of your new key!

I also feel that the synth could do something different after the key change instead of the same old, same old. Maybe throw in a couple arpeggios or some original material, and let someone else like the vibes take a turn at the dah da-da dah dah motif.

You probably shouldn't take too much of my advice, though. It'd be a shame to turn this masterpiece into something less than what it could be because you listened to some hack comp student. ;) I'm excited to hear the finished product!

• 5 weeks later...

are you using an automated auto-tune on your vocals instead of perhaps manually correcting them (If that's what you are doing/wanting to achieve) ? Only reason I ask is because I swear sometimes during your vocals I can hear the autotune working to throw the note on the right pitch which lends to a lot of distracting bending of your voice and such. I can hear it really bend around in the middle of the song, especially when you use a little vibrato on your voice.

I'd really watch out for that, and honestly, if you are using auto-tune I'm surprised that no one has commented on the bending vocals and instead have all just been "OMG, most amazing vocals ever!"

cause that effect REALLY detracts from your vocal work.

That's really my only major complaint about this song, cause other than that, you got it goin on man. I'm trying to add vocals to my remix I'm working on as well, but......well to put it bluntly, I just plain suck at singing lol.

Good work and keep on rockin

are you using an automated auto-tune on your vocals instead of perhaps manually correcting them (If that's what you are doing/wanting to achieve) ? Only reason I ask is because I swear sometimes during your vocals I can hear the autotune working to throw the note on the right pitch which lends to a lot of distracting bending of your voice and such. I can hear it really bend around in the middle of the song, especially when you use a little vibrato on your voice.

Actually this probably explains why I am not very keen on the "there's nothing" in the key change/last chorus.

I was thinking of suggesting it but i didn't want to come off as offensive if you weren't using it...