best acoustic guitar library for kontakt 3?

LITHE

or for just $99 at guitar center, get MusicLab realguitar

realguitar sounds very impressive for a synth. though it is still a synth, and doesnt sound real. I heard some of the demos on acoustic legends just now, and that is well worth 3 times the price of realguitar.

thanks for all your help everyone!

realguitar sounds very impressive for a synth. though it is still a synth, and doesnt sound real. I heard some of the demos on acoustic legends just now, and that is well worth 3 times the price of realguitar.

thanks for all your help everyone!

I'm certainly not in the position to downplay Acoustic Legends since I've not yet heard it, but I believe you're a bit off on your terminology.

Not sure how RealGuitar is classified as a synth, it's a sampled instrument, not modeling. The sounds you hear are not synthetic in any way, and honestly, I'm a bit surprised you think it doesn't at all sound real. Anyway, here's a few video examples that really turned me on to it:

Strumming:

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=183&sessionid=anonymous

Soloing:

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=170&sessionid=anonymous

Hotel California

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=237&sessionid=anonymous

Tears In Heaven

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=236&sessionid=anonymous

If you've already watched these and are still unimpressed, then my apologies, I'm going to watch some Acoustic Legends demos now to see what I'm missing ;)

*edit*

Yeah, I will say Acoustic legends sounds pretty good, and it probably offers slightly more variety in the patches than RealGuitar, but I'm still a little partial to RG (which has steel picked, steel fingered, nylon picked, nylon fingered, steel 2 picked, steel 2 (doubling), 12-string, and steel stereo which is plenty for me. EQ/comp/reverb take care of the rest for me) simply because of the ease of use, and the fact that it uses less memory than Kontakt does.

I'm certainly not in the position to downplay Acoustic Legends since I've not yet heard it, but I believe you're a bit off on your terminology.

Not sure how RealGuitar is classified as a synth, it's a sampled instrument, not modeling. The sounds you hear are not synthetic in any way, and honestly, I'm a bit surprised you think it doesn't at all sound real. Anyway, here's a few video examples that really turned me on to it:

Strumming:

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=183&sessionid=anonymous

Soloing:

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=170&sessionid=anonymous

Hotel California

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=237&sessionid=anonymous

Tears In Heaven

http://www.musiclab.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/amax/downloads/down.cgi?fid=236&sessionid=anonymous

If you've already watched these and are still unimpressed, then my apologies, I'm going to watch some Acoustic Legends demos now to see what I'm missing ;)

*edit*

Yeah, I will say Acoustic legends sounds pretty good, and it probably offers slightly more variety in the patches than RealGuitar, but I'm still a little partial to RG (which has steel picked, steel fingered, nylon picked, nylon fingered, steel 2 picked, steel 2 (doubling), 12-string, and steel stereo which is plenty for me. EQ/comp/reverb take care of the rest for me) simply because of the ease of use, and the fact that it uses less memory than Kontakt does.

yeah Im not impressed at all if its not a synth. I cant load the videos but every demo Ive heard sounds fake to me. I guess its just because it doesnt really change the articulations and dynamics from each note. Im sure that also the quality of the recording doesnt help much eather.

acoustic legends has 2 different nylon-stringed guitars, 7 different steel-stringed guitars, and 2 different twelve-stringed guitars. you can easily do doubling by adding a guitar on the left speaker and adding another on the right speaker, and having both guitars playing the same melody/harmony.

also Ive tried out RealStrat made by the same creators. now that program sounds like a synth. compare it to Prominy SC (both of which are fender stratocasters) and you'll see what I mean...

EDIT: I heard real guitar used properly with better effects on music labs webpage and it does sound pretty good if done right. real strat doesnt sound too bad eather but still something about it doesnt sound too real to me. I could imagine that real strat can be better than prominy sc for composing multiple guitars in one project, since it doesnt take much memory from your RAM. this is actually a problem Ive been having while using prominy LPC... I'll give real strat another try, with using it for composising, and using LPC for final rendering...

I'm not feeling those real guitar vids, they just sound keyboarded. Even with all the timing algorithms and all that detail they try to add in, it doesn't sound real. The Acoustic Legends demos sound more realistic, but they're not as diverse as the examples using real guitar, and those types of demos are always done as carefully as possible to sell the product. I'm not convinced either way. If I had to choose, I'd take acoustic legends, though both could pass in a full mix, as a solo instrument acoustic legends sounds better in the demos... though that's not really an indication of how it'll sound once you get it...

I'm not feeling those real guitar vids, they just sound keyboarded. Even with all the timing algorithms and all that detail they try to add in, it doesn't sound real. The Acoustic Legends demos sound more realistic, but they're not as diverse as the examples using real guitar, and those types of demos are always done as carefully as possible to sell the product. I'm not convinced either way. If I had to choose, I'd take acoustic legends, though both could pass in a full mix, as a solo instrument acoustic legends sounds better in the demos... though that's not really an indication of how it'll sound once you get it...

thats actually a very good point. I think Ill go for realguitar since Im not really going to be using it as a solo instrument in most of my work. in the future I can get something like acoustic legends, when I get a little more familiar with composing with an acoustic guitar...

realstrat can sound a lot better than the demo videos. though it doesnt sound as real as prominy lpc or sc...

real strat is intentionally sampled dry. it's meant to be run through amp modeling such as guitar rig or amplitube, etc. by itself, it sounds about as good as any electric guitar with zero processing :)

I know it is. but still something about it doesnt sound real, even when played through an amp simulator. though the sound it produces can fool most people that dont play the guitar...

Indeed, I'd say that if you actually play the instrument that you're playing a software version of, you're more likely to be able to tell the difference.

I'm also glad Snapple brought up the point that a lot of audio demos for most products are generally put together very painstakingly and skillfully. I'd say in the case of either RealGuitar or Acoustic Legends, the more exposed the instrument in your mix, the more likely people will be able to tell that it's not *real*, but in a full mix done well, it should be pretty convincing to all but the uber-nit-picky, and we don't really care about them ;)

I think it's safe to say that either way is a great way to go, short of just recording an actual guitar, as long as what you're writing is not super exposed out front with nothing to hide it's virtual flaws.