OCR01054 - Flashback "Nostalgy Dimension"

djpretzel

This work is nice ;)

just barely makes 8/10-- as easy as it is to listen to (for the first three minutes), it's a little repetitive and doesnt have a real ending... boy, that's a long fade-out, too :P

Where's the variety? :P It's certainly long enough to have some. Hmm... no, I'm demoting you to 7/10, I can't listen to it more than once without getting bored and uncomfortable :P

:nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::evil::evil::evil:

Yay for chat logging.

<+DarkeSword> Alas, I am bumped from the recent 10 on the front page.

* DarkeSword is listening to Shion Tanaka - Flashback Nostalgy Dimension OC ReMix

<+DarkeSword> And it's this song that did it!

<+DarkeSword> hmmm

<+DarkeSword> this is nice

<+DarkeSword> I think I'll keep this one.

*** Mode change "+l 51" for channel #ocremix by ChanServ

<+DarkeSword> Yes, this is quite chill.

<+DarkeSword> and it has excellent sounds to boot, and the drums near the end are all improvvy and shizzle. Quite nice.

Good stuffs man. Gooooooood stuffffffffs.

SOLID™

There IS a sequel to flashback, it's called 'Fade to Black', I think. It's 3D, and it came out for PS1 as well as PC. And maybe saturn, I don't remember. It's very old and somewhat stiff to play, but was fun at the time.

I haven't listened to the song yet, so haha!

Okay, I just typed up this massive post with beautiful English, calling it a whimsical act of mimicking Digital Coma's unparalleled usage of profound diction that complements his structural flow, but I started up mIRC to ask what the word for the definition of "the mental search of a word" I read in a 'Useless Facts' thread before is, and the world fell between my fingers, and I died spiritually, as the devil himself created a Web page that very instant, dubbed it to the extent of 'mIRC's Welcoming', and whapped it in front of my face, overriding blue ole' OCR.

The erased beast complimented on this song's similarity to Mazedude's Lounge Lemmings. I went so far as to discuss the debate of whether or not to listen to it as Web surfing tunage or as deep philosophical technical delving, or as both, which happened to be the case; delving, however, serving as the culprit moreso, even though my desire is to simply listen. I finished off by recommending it to fanatics of slow, solo mix grooves, which encompass its length, constructing a sound that would constantly surround anyone's ear in such a style, then by explaining why my English, in this particular moment, would sound warped, if it does.

Yes... this brings back memories for sure. Flashback was one of the first games I've ever played, and the only game I've liked and havn't finished. This tune is nostalgia, and one seems to forget all about those places you died a million times at, and start wishing you hadn't put your genesis in your basement.

Thanks for a really nice remix.

That remix was awesome, i usually go for the more upbeat faster remixes, but that was just right for flashback, theres not much music in flashback just some short's, i think that was done really well considering the game. The ambience is sheer euphoric, i could listen to that for eternity.

Flashback it's self was a excellent game, the only way i could complete it was to use the door cheat on the last level considering the boss is just past there, and what a stupidly hard boss he was. Well certainly nostalgic and looking forward to more flashback..

~Luke

• 2 weeks later...

just a wish from me to make a remix duel with you :idea:

Because I really like what you're doing, and i think this kind of contest would be a good alternative to basic remix.

For more info, you'll just have to see the topic "compo combo duel" in Works (In-Progress & Completed) : OC ReMixes

I think it would be great !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow im so glad someone has done a remix for this game, it was one of my first ever megadrive games and one of my all time favorites that is often overlooked, this remix is nice, sticks close enough to the original for you to remember it instantly but remixed enough to make it sound even better than before. Good work a+

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was digging through my SNES games, and I found this game. I never had it for megadrive, it was all SNES. I haven't touched it in forever, but i remember running from the big black thing at the beginning of the game, and then turning it off. I bought it at a garage sale for 2 dollars.

The track is really soothing, even though it is not familiar to me. Good job. =)

• 2 years later...

Pretty competent work, but i'm somewhat meh on this one. I don't really like the bass sound, though the pattern it plays is nice. I think overall it's just the specific samples chosen, as the arrangement itself is pretty nice. The bells sound is really good, but the pads seem low-fi, as does the bass. Soloing section are catchy and a highlight, and though it's been ages since i've played this game, the arrangement on the theme is pretty recognizable with having a lot added to it.

check it out, maybe you'll feel stronger than I do. :-)

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It sounds like Conrad's leisurely strutting through warped-out jungles on the planet Titan, or he's walking through his own memories in greens and golds. The higher key, slower pace, and happier, humming bass make Nostalgy Dimension appropriately daydreamy.

I like how the bell-like lead from the source is maintained (in an upgraded form) at 1:32+. More than that, though, I appreciate how the different leads at 0:52+ and 2:38+ flank it in order to add distance to the places this mix goes. When their labors are done, 3:16 turns its attention inward, toward the bass/percussion. Perhaps thinking it's not varied enough, 3:26 unleashes a finale-ish drumgasm to help it alter its pattern, even if for a little bit.

Holocube-ically transporting.

• 1 month later...

Slow but thoroughly enjoyable. I tend to really get into slower mixes, as long as they don't fall into a cycle of repetition and lead nowhere. I think it's needless to point out that this mix does not do that.

I love the soloing work that extends off the theme and adds a crucial amount of variation and contrast over the bassline that would begin to grow stale if action weren't taken.

There's a laid back feel to the instrumentation, which I can't say is always my cup of tea, but it's not exactly the worst lineup either. It does the job.

I will say that this mix does seem longer than it really is, and that should be taken any way you like. Could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. I think the most important thing is that Shion Tanaka went to some much appreciated lenghts to keep a potentially slim design into something that sounds great and entertains indefinitely. I'm just not as keen about some of the musical hues that are conveyed in it through instrument choice.

• 6 years later...

I do wish @Shion had submitted something else to OCR back in his day, because this Flashback piece was cool for its day. Flashback gets almost no love, and I see why in the sense that music's pretty rare in the game and thus may not stand out as much. That said, this is the arrangement that made this soundtrack click for me. It's somewhat rigid, but the textures here are well-constructed and the piece has just the right amount of intensity where you feel the weight of the percussion, but the energy still feels very chill. Cool stuff!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01054 - Flashback "Nostalgy Dimension"