Granular synthesis

dPaladin

FL Studio has a simple granular sampler (FL Granulizer)

Well now I feel like an idiot for not knowing that. I don't know what half of the stuff in FL is for so I just quit noticing it I guess.

I'll look for tutorials on it (and just start messing with it) tomorrow, but if anyone has a tutorial (or a possible freeware app that they think can do it better than FL) off-hand, feel free to post it.

I've been working a lot with granular synthesis lately in Reaktor. However, I've found you can create a rather intuitive granular synth using a sampler. First, you set the sample size very small and then automate/modulate the sample start parameter. That way, you can do pretty cool little granular washes by adding delay and reverb. You may need to tweak some settings to get it to sound musical, but with Live's Simpler it works quite well. Also, that way you can have all the FX associated with the sampler at your disposal as well.

• 4 years later...

Reviving this with questions . . .

1) When it comes to bits of music like at 2:44 in Adrenalyne Kyck or at 0:19 in

from Machinarium, that's just a very slow use of granular synthesis, no?

2) And I understand that there's about a 2 gazillion programs that have granular features. So for those that enjoy granular synthesis, what do you use?

It appears that Reaktor and Absynth both have quite a few granular options. My current ecosystem of hardware/software is rooted in 2008 purchases, so I'm looking at my upgrade options in general. I guess it's hard to deny the value of Komplete sometimes.

I've been hooked into Mac/Logic my whole life, and I'm waiting to see what Apple [hopefully] does with Logic this year -- to see how much priority they'll give it considering that it's a fraction of fraction of a percent of their company these days. Might be time to learn a new DAW, maybe hop on the VST train somehow.

Granite is another granular synth:

http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/home.php

If you have the cash go for Alchemy, Omnisphere, or Reaktor. Omnisphere has a really nice built-in granular engine that you can use on it's amazing samples. Alchemy has a granular, spectral and additive re-synthesis modules. It's really easy to use as well.

Reaktor for $99 is a steal, but it requires a decent computer and some geekery/synth knowledge to get the most out of it.

Talk about some serious necromancy on this thread!

Granite is the first plug-in you should think of when you think granular synth.

It is a must-have, in my opinion, and well worth the price!

aaaand a search for "granite synth youtube" gives a top result of

! gonna watch it

by the way, Dan. I've been looking at G.A.N.G. lately -- do you think it's worth the fee?

Edited by Patrick Burns

aaaand a search for "granite synth youtube" gives a top result of
! gonna watch it

by the way, Dan. I've been looking at G.A.N.G. lately -- do you think it's worth the fee?

You get from GANG what you put into it. If you don't participate, it's just a forum, and it's not worth it. If you do, then it can be a great networking community and a powerful resource for information and advice.

While I generally recommend membership in GANG, I have seen many people waste their membership by never joining the discussions, participating in networking events, or engaging in various responsibilities (like the GANG awards nomination process).

I have made many professional contacts through GANG--from friends to actual job opportunities.

While I generally recommend membership in GANG, I have seen many people waste their membership by never joining the discussions, participating in networking events, or engaging in various responsibilities (like the GANG awards nomination process).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I joined for one year and never participated. Suffice to say, I never renewed after that. Anyway, my dream of working in the audio field died years ago.