NES Top Loaders

zircon

I'm thinking about getting an NES toploader for my studio because it would look cool, and because toploaders are way more reliable than traditional NES systems. However, there is really a dizzying array of options out there. The original NES2 is $90-100, which is a bit too expensive for me, while 3rd party units can be as low as $15.

What do you guys know about toploaders? What 3rd-party units are best? If I get one, will I have compatibility, sound, or video problems? What tools do I need to hook 'em up to my computer monitors?

I'm thinking about getting an NES toploader for my studio because it would look cool, and because toploaders are way more reliable than traditional NES systems. However, there is really a dizzying array of options out there. The original NES2 is $90-100, which is a bit too expensive for me, while 3rd party units can be as low as $15.

What do you guys know about toploaders? What 3rd-party units are best? If I get one, will I have compatibility, sound, or video problems? What tools do I need to hook 'em up to my computer monitors?

Um, if you mean the second gen NES, I have one, and I'll sell it to you. if not, then I'm clueless.

What do you guys know about toploaders?
I don't claim to know anything about the 3rd party models, but I do know that the original NES2 toploader lacks the RCA A/V jacks, meaning you'd be stuck with the inferior picture quality of the RF out. It'd probably be little harder to hook that up to a computer monitor too, unless you're using a TV tuner or something like that.

A friend of mine has a third party 8-bit nintendo console, and we were surprised to note that the sound was quite off - the pitches were right of course, but the timbres were different; also the noise channel didn't seem as clean, if that makes any sense. I don't remember what my friend's console is called, but I just now did a bit of searching and found a youtube video demonstrating that the FC Twin system is similarly imperfect in its NES sound emulation, and apparently doesn't always get colors exactly right either.

I have an original NES, a third-party front loader (but it locks in there pretty well) and a second-gen NES.

I've never liked any but the original honestly. The third-party's sound was okay but it was like 10-15 db quieter! It was really annoying. As noted, the NES2's lack of AV out was annoying as well, and games STILL didn't work in there that didn't work in the old NES. I only keep it for collectors sake (as well as my SNES2) and I got them both for like $40 each, not a bad price apparently.

Oh and you'd probably get more recognition of an original NES than the redesign, since no one has probably seen a NES2.

Most third party nes consoles cant take advantage of Konami's special sound chip that they used for Castlevania III (and no other games that I can think of).

My suggestion is just to get a NES1 with a good/new 72 pin connector.

Also, hooking anything of that old-school-ness up to a computer monitor will require either a capture card or a vga-box, unless your monior happens to support composite in as an additional input (mine does).

oooh oho ohohoh oh oh... i would love to revive my old NES games, all three of 'em! haha i got rid of my NES because it was completely unreliable, and only worked about 45% of the time...

if i could get something reliable, i would play the hell out of The adventure of Link and the Legend of Zelda!

The third is Rampage if you were wondering.

I'd avoid any NES clones. Thus far, all the ones I've read about have had graphical, aural, or compatibility issues with various NES games. If you can't find a real NES2 for a price you like, then get an NES1. The clones just aren't worth the cash for the issues that come with them.

I've been on the fence for months to head over to the video game store one town over and pick up Yobo's newest console that plays NES, SNES, and Genesis carts (it's called the FC3 Plus, for anyone interested in Googling it). Your concerns about compatibility issues are exactly what's been keeping me from getting one. Not only that, but I've taken care of my systems over the years, and they all still work pretty well, even my old toaster NES. On the other hand, I have an NES, an original SNES, a Genesis 3, an N64, and a Dreamcast all hooked up to one outlet in addition to an A/V switcher and two TV sets (one for gaming, one for cable), and I swear to God this place will go up in flames soon. I also keep hearing that with each new console and revision, Yobo keeps getting closer and closer to original NES perfection. I'm also told that SNES and Genesis emulation on this system is flawless.

For me, it's an issue between convenience and performance. I'd love to save both space and electrical power, but I also want to play my games how I remember them.

EDIT: alright, I found a great review of this system over at the Digital Press forums, and I've pretty much made up my mind to not get this thing. The pros don't outweigh the cons, and it's not like I have every single system thats plugged in on at the same time or anything.

On the other hand, I have an NES, an original SNES, a Genesis 3, an N64, and a Dreamcast all hooked up to one outlet in addition to an A/V switcher and two TV sets (one for gaming, one for cable), and I swear to God this place will go up in flames soon.

At my worst point:

• 36in LCD
  • Sony 600w receiver
  • Sony 500w sub
  • NES
  • SNES
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • PS1
  • PS2
  • Genesis
  • Sega CD (requires an additional outlet)
  • Dreamcast
  • Xbox
  • VCR
  • Satelite Receiver
  • HTPC
  • Powered switch box
  • Power assisted antenna
  • External HDD

Nothing caught fire*. I was using two massive power strips though, on a single outlet pair. The real mess was the cable routing. I was going through two switch boxes and a receiver. (the older consoles were routed through a manual switch box before hitting the powered one)

One trick to save some power is to put all of your consoles on one power strip, and just switch the strip off when you're not using them. Goodbye ghost load.

*Don't try this at home

The third is Rampage if you were wondering.

Damn you... I WAS WONDERING! HOW DID YOU DO THIS TO ME?!? ARRGGHH...

Also, I have three original NES systems from when I was way younger and we thought the unrecoverable flashing lights meant that your system was dead and you needed a new one. Now I am 3x happy.

I'm thinking about getting an NES toploader for my studio because it would look cool

That's a lame reason to get an NES ;) Now, this is a very good reason to get an NES!

Also you can emulate NES and about any other retro gaming console on your Wii with the homebrew channel. I mention this because I was building an NES PC, which turned out to be pointless once you've got the homebrew channel...

I have one of the top loader Famicom systems and it works great. Looks pretty much like the NES 2 so I'm assuming the electronics are similar:

adf-20050115014638842.jpg

The main difference between this and the old Famicom I have, aside from the extremely comfortable dogbone style controllers, is the video quality. While it doesn't have s-video capabilities like the new version of the SNES, the standard RCA cable hook-up blows away the old video hookup. Everything looks so crisp and clean compared to the old system. Do a side by side comparison and you'll never look back.

As for the third party systems, there are few I often see in Japan because they are so extremely small. They are barely bigger then the Famicom carts themselves, but I can't vouch for their performance or compatibility. Get a NES2.