OCR01807 - Chrono Trigger "Close Door All Way"

djpretzel

Nice work Star, as usual. The whole ambient section towards the end is tres sweet, and the stutters at 5:37 are spot on. Props on the mastering too. You've got a very rich track on your hands; it feels incredibly full at every turn with just the right amount of edge -- whatever that means :). Awesome stuff all around.

haha, gotta say it: Everytime that drum break that first comes in at 0:15 repeats, I want to sing "Rewind, dniweR!"

I'm definitely liking this a lot.. The first two minutes I love, but then my attention sort of drifts away. The soundfield is also slightly too full for my tastes - I'd love it if it was somewhat colder and more sparse.. Regardless, it's very good. I like those noisy drums and the icicly piano very much.

--Eino

This is... exceptional. Amazing, even. It's the best work I've heard by Star Salzman in a long, long time. It had to have been, because it inspired me to make my first post here in 5 years. Of course, that's mostly because it's an instrumental mix, but it's a terrific instrumental mix.

(I don't know why his vocal mixes grate at me so. I don't have anything against singing in music, or remixes, I know I loved the recent DKC "Permutation" mix. But listening to him blather about strategy guides in "Dreams Come True" gave me a sensation not unlike hearing The Jonas Brothers in the score for The Dark Knight. Sometimes vocals and lyrics cloud a piece of music from its true qualities(for this, see the last boss battle music from just about any recent Square-Enix game). Sometimes it's better when a song speaks for itself.)

Salzman has always had a ridiculous mastery of synthey sounds intertwined with piano segments and simulated percussion, and this continues that tradition. In fact, I can appreciate it more easily because there is no futile attempt at singing obscuring me from just how good this is. I love how "strained" it feels at times, like an old door on rusted hinges being opened(or closed) for the first time in years. I like how it starts off with seemingly less sophisticated sounds(the intro), and then slowly becomes more structured and more up-to-date, and once again falls back into decay(the last few seconds remind me of the "Rise from the grave" voice sample in Altered Beast).

There's a good balance of the frantic and foreboding bassy techno sound, the complex but stable beats and the softening piano, so that I never think "Geez, this part goes on way too long". That's another thing he's good at: variety. He knows just what spices a song needs, and when. He's always had an ear for that. I even liked the faux-violin sections, which are so hard to get down right without sounding cheap(this is true even of big-budget games with quality soundtracks). I think the violin works well here is because it is used sparingly. It leaves its impression, and then departs into the mist.

In particular, 5:03 and onward showcase some stunning synth-work, and I don't even think it's supposed to be the main attraction of this song. Even the assisting parts of his music are outstanding. He's taken a crushing, if quick/simple piece from Mitsuda's/Uematsu's soundtrack, and made it his own.

I don't think he has to worry about anyone's opinions being lowered by "Close Door All Way". Mine certainly hasn't changed. I think Salzman's an incredibly talented man who occasionally sabotages his attempts in the name of humour. Here, he chose to treat the source material with a little more respect. He chose very wisely.

i like this one's sound. it used the great synth sounds with some awesome violin electronic sounds. i like the emotion felt in this song. the beginning gets me and this song never lets up. i like that about it. sometimes, i just REALLY enjoy a chaotic remix. It reminds me soooo much of much of the battle songs in Final Fantasy 8. Also, it reminds me of the solemn sounds of final fantasy 7. this just goes on a LITTLE too long, but i enjoy the sound so much that it doesnt' really bother me. I enjoy this remix a lot. Keep up the awesome work. well done.

Wow... This song is so awesome, it evokes such a sad and lonely feeling, and for something this rich sounding that is amazing unto itself. And I love how you bring it back up, the amount of turnaround in this is great. I'm at a loss over how awesome it is.

You have captured the emotive qualities, ability to just close your eyes and trance out, and plain awesomeness that makes remixing so great. Bravo!

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff, cool synth and an excellent feel for the track's strengths, which you've improved with your own material pretty seamlessly. Mastered a bit hot I think; it hurts when the prominent cymbals come in, but nothing that a volume adjustment doesn't fix.

Crazy distorted ending as well, it works awesome and really reminds me of Lavos.

Recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

I dig how the source's feeling of hopelessness has been revamped into a mindset of finding one's way through time. Whether it's boldly grinding into industrial/electronic dominance or taking minimalist breaks, this mix is expressive every second. The strings that play over the percussion add a sweet touch without getting sappy (2:27 = <3). The reverbed piano in particular adds a lot of depth, even in the background.

It only gets better around 4:46, when the latest melodically liberal chunk takes hold, turning up the sense of lost exploration a notch. The electronic synth quips at 5:43 and 6:15 are the icing on the cake. I can almost imagine the "crash" ending is what someone hears right before ending up at the End of Time.

Two thumbs all up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Strange name, fantastic sound - I fell in love with this one instantly. 4:00 - 6:43 is simply superb, and I especially like 5:28 - 5:36. If this is deviation from the norm for Salzman, I wish to hear more. 0:00 - 0:15, I can't quite put my finger on why, just seems a little off in general... but not to the point where it detracts from the overall track. My final answer: a musical masterpiece.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01807 - Chrono Trigger "Close Door All Way"