OCR01061 - Final Fantasy VIII "Rain in Chicago"

djpretzel

I´m siiiiiinging in the rain...

Really nice stuff here. Although this is Ziwtra´s first try at getting a groovy mix, I´m not complaining. Very nice usage of the instruments, I liked that echoing piano that just skipped over that piano. At some points, it sounded just like "The place I´ll return to" from FF9, but then it got back to Blue fields once again. Calm, chill, excellent remix from our hardworking Ziwtra. Good luck with your studies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I very much enjoyed this remix. I never realised how much hate the original got, I loved it so much, but just not as much as Terra from FFVI. Either way, I never compare any song I hear on this website to the original, I tend to think of it as just a different version, completely different to the original, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Great percussion and attention to detail, as well as the bass. I don't think the original melody was super compelling; it's good background music, but not something amazingly melodic, but the mix emphasizes the rhythmic qualities of the source and adds a lot of cool expansion rhythms.

It's still not really active listening to me, but it took a decent BG track and made it into a great one, and i'm totally fine with that. :-)

• 2 months later...

To tell you the truth, right when it starts to pick up at 00:20 I can see this being in a "sim city" type game where you build and manage your city. Weird I know, I agree this is nice background music. Then at 00:47 or so you recognize fully where this song originated from.

It takes you back to "those days" and keeps you there until it's over.

10.00/10.00

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah, do I remember this from the game. It definitely takes me back! Ziwtra does waste anytime disclosing the source material in this mix. This has a wonderful jazz fusion to it that we haven't really heard from Youngjin so far, and I gotta say, he's nailing it. Not a fan of the sax sample, but the idea what a good one. The drums are what really do it for me here. The pattern and programming are really well done and create a dynamic in the track all its own. The bass line is also wonderful as is really anchors the track, much like his past mixes. Hahn really excels at placing different levels of intensity from different instruments in the same section together. The result is always one that feels well balanced and natural. Another great piece from Ziwtra!

• 1 year later...

This is a joyful and pleasant track. I like the very beginning immediately - the synth playing the simple repeating figure sounds just great, and the percussive chirp in the other channel mimicking the rhythm is a terrific detail. The playful, jumpy drums and the solid but varied bass compliment each other very well. The sax/trumpet sample is the weak link, but forgivable - the melody itself, and rest of the lead instruments, sound good.

Above all, this mix has character - I think the amibent/chill feel is uniquely contrasted by the lively, kind of angular drums and bass. I was playing a random selection of ReMixes, and when this came up, I didn't know which piece it was but I did recognize it, especially it's mood. Good stuff!

--Eino

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01061 - Final Fantasy VIII "Rain in Chicago"
  • 3 years later...