Can someone tell me what's up with this sword?

Thin Crust

Oh I love the idea of a sword the size of a damned plane wing, it's just ridiculous as balls.

This is true.

I think the most ridiculous weapons I've ever seen are from Tales games. Seriously, A tome? a vase? a freakin straw that blows bubbles!?

... And yet I loves these games...

There is nothing unrealistic about a gunblade. Gun-swords even existed for a time in history. They were seen as a solution to early guns taking so long to reload, so a sword was built around the gun. Before they invented bayonets, muskets were often spun around and used as clubs when things got close. Early bayonets were simply knives jammed down the muzzle of the gun.

The only thing odd things about the gunblade are the level of refinement of the gun itself (a revolver) and the fact that the gun was used only to supplement the swinging of the sword. But I'm sure we would have developed them if people were durable enough to justify what would normally be overkill.

I always thought it was the FLAMES from the sword that made it hurt more.

Actually, as someone explained earlier, the gunblade has a muzzle which is a bit impractical, but can be used if mastered. You see, if you slash and then in the middle of it fire the gun, it should technically hit the opponent. This is what the gunblade does, or should do at least. I thought it seemed obvious at first, but at the very least it's plausible.

Here a some other examples of real gunblades:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

Also, the gunblade is badass. I want one.

This is what the gunblade does, or should do at least. I thought it seemed obvious at first, but at the very least it's plausible.

No, actually, it explains very clearly in the FFVIII Ultimania that the mechanism is meant to send powerful vibrations through the edge of the sword, increasing it's cutting power.

which doesn't really make sense at all but that's besides the point

then the force behind each swing would probably damage the edge of the blade and would render it useless in a small amount of time

Yes, but the gunblade was crafted out of quality materials such as:

2 M-Stone Pieces, 2 Screws

1 Steel Pipe, 4 Screws

1 Mesmerize Blade, 8 Screws

1 Betrayal Sword, 1 Turtle Shell, 4 Screws

1 Dino Bone, 1 Red Fang, 12 Screws

1 Chef's Knife, 2 Star Fragments, 1 Turtle Shell, 8 Screws

or finally

1 Adamantine, 4 Dragon Fang, 12 Pulse Ammos

With such quality materials, it had to be strong...