Liontamer

Remixer name: Prince of Darkness, GuitarBizarre

E-mail Address: Basstony4813@yahoo.com

User Id: 24705, 26596

Remix song name: Sonic Gargles with Garden Marbles

Game: Sonic 3

Song: Marble Garden Zone

System: Genesis

Notes: This is the winning track from DoD November '08. A groovy rendition of "Marble Garden Zone" from Sonic 3. I have a guest guitar player playing on the track too. He goes by GuitarBizarre, who's followed OCR for a long time. He plays the solo at 2:15 (which explains the drastically different guitar tone), all other guitar work is me. I'm still a mastering noob, so there might be some of the same issues that there were on The Hot Pink Of Blues. If this is accepted, let me know if there are any mastering issues and I will [try to] fix those too.

www.tonydickinson.net

---------------------------------------------------------------

Time to drag out the stopwatch.

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Marble Garden Zone 1"

Alongside the melody, much of the usage comes from the source countermelody (:00-:03 of the source) adapted to the bassline & an arrangement of a 4-note synth line in the source (:00-:01 of the source, again at :04-:06) adapted to part of the rhythm guitar work, which is a tenuous connection, but I'm cool with it and it's valid IMO.

:10.25-:11.75, :15-:16.5, 19.75-:21, :22.25-:23.5, 24.75-:26, :29-:30.25, :31.75-:33, :34.25-:35.75, :36.75-:38, :39-:45, :46-:47, :48.75-:54, :58-1:14.25, 1:17.5-1:38, 1:39.25-1:43, 1:46-1:54, 1:56-1:57, 2:01-2:02, 2:06-2:07, 2:10.5-2:12, 2:15-2:19, 2:20-2:21, 2:25-2:26, 2:29.5-2:31, 2:34.5-2:36, 2:39-2:40.5, 3:03.5-3:10, 3:13-3:18.5, 3:41.5-3:43, 3.46-3:48, 3:51-3:55.75, 4:10-4:11.5, 4:12.5-4:13.75, 4:15.5-4:16.75, 4:17.5-4:18.75

So that's about 115.5 seconds with some rough estimation, or 44.4%. I don't count silence. That's a really weak way to give an arrangement credit.

It's a great track, I'm just hurting here for the full connection. Any compelling source connections I'm not hearing that would push this over the top?

• 2 weeks later...

While I often find myself agreeing with Larry on these sorts of breakdown calls, and did so on Hot Pink of Blues, this one just dripped with source to me. Basically I wouldn't "stop the stopwatch" in the small gaps that Larry does, because it uses the bassline and four-note synth part off and on the whole time, sometimes using the lead melody too, while sticking to the source progression except in the short original sections. Basically I don't want to hold it against a ReMix if the parts from the original don't take up the whole measure/measures. If you use original parts while also using the progression, that's enough of a tie for me to count the gaps. No hating on Larry, I can see why he reached his conclusion given his method of counting, but I found it a relatively easy call.

Tony, your mixing/mastering is just fine. This is a scorching track; I love how you bring out the funkiness from the original. Also cool how you touched on pretty much every instrument in the source, one way or another.

YES

I think this is more cohesive as a whole than Hot Pink of Blues. The small transitions and occasional noodling pretty much always sticks close to the source progression and hints to the many smaller elements in the source in clever ways. With Larry's breakdown he's not counting small "gaps" between the bass licks (for example not counting between 4:11.5 - 4:12.5) but I don't think that's a good idea. The bassline in the source has the same "gaps" so he's actually being even CLOSER to the source by having them. It feels very anal and most of all inaccurate to not count these. A pause is a musical element, a phrase wouldn't be the same if you didn't have said pause. Also, in general I'm agreeing with Vinnie here :nicework:

The performance is (obviously) nothing short of excellent. I get serious Jaco-vibes on many parts and the slapping is well done too. The clav-solo was a different take on clav playing that I really enjoyed. The guitar harmonies were VERY well done. The overall dynamics of the piece was a bit flat (i.e. no real drop-offs and such) but that's a minor personal complaint.

Production is good but I had a few things to say about it for future submissions. The guitar leads are a little too far back in the soundscape and the drums could've been a bit more audible in the higher frequencies too. It sometimes gets a bit crowded (around 3:40) but that's minor. Overall the production is much better than Hot Pink of Blues with much smaller clipping issues (3:17~18 and 3:50~51 for example) that were barely audible. If anyone goes conditional this is a good fix but I don't think it keeps the remix off the front-page.

In my opinion the connections to the source here were much more focused compared to Hot Pink of Blues. While there definitely could've been more source crammed in there I think it's above the bar. Coupled with a stellar performance and well above the bar production I have no problem going yes on this. Nice work Tony, keep it up!

YES

• 3 months later...

I think this arrangement is hot, there are more than enough melodic, rhythmic, and tonal parallels to make it more than clear. The extended solos sections push it close to the edge, but during most of them there are tons of additional references via the bass, rhythm guitar, and to some extent the drums.

I thought there were very intelligent choices made on what to keep the same, and what to expand upon, and the original writing that was included was stylistically compatible and brief enough not to overshadow the original at all.

I agree that the breaks in the bass are part of the source, and that music isn't just about what you play, but also what you don't play. I think this is well over 50% considering that.

Playing throughout was sick- awesome phrasing and variation, and some great shredding too, no complaints here at all.

Overall i'm loving this one, the solo sections *almost* got excessive, but I guess if you've got it, flaunt it. :-)

yes

ps. funny that of my first day as a judge, you got both my no, first yes, and also your debut mix posted. Kinda spooky. :o

Your stop watching of this track sucks larry, its clearly in the main riff mode for the majority of this mix. I actually thought going in to this track it was a different source, and I didn't even need to be told which one it was and I heard it throughout the whole mix.

Sweet lo-fi sounding shit during the break. Awesome guitar, awesome bass solo, pretty good mixing (lil' muddy on the rhythm guitar side), awesome arrangement, what more is there to say? Sweet stuff, well deserved DoD win, and I'm glad all that hotpink drama didn't stop you from subbing more!

YES