Invaders Must Die: the new Prodigy album

Hy Bound

What does everybody think about it?

Personally, its a little too weird on some of the samples used, but is made up for in the extraordinarily dirty basslines and great breaks. It feels a little too familiar and like heavily-trod Prodigy territory, but its certainly better than AONO. I like it; its no Fat of the Land, but I like it.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20691&highlight=Omen

It was mentioned toward the end of the thread.

I personally liked it but it felt like it should have come out around the point AONO did. It feels a bit too much like the Prodigy are playing catch-up. That said, it certainly has quality tracks and "Take Me to the Hospital" is up there with "Girls", "Smack My Bitch Up", and "Voodoo People"

Just picked it up today not realizing it was already out.

Frankly, I fucking love it. It combines the energy of Jilted, the songwriting of Fat of the Land (with a few dashes of their old school rave roots thrown in), and the attitude of Never Outgunned. I remember reading in the thread for "Omen" that people said they didn't really like "Invaders Must Die" (the title track), but I don't see why. This whole album is made of ass-kicking, building-leveling beats and some of the sickest bass lines I've heard on a breaks album. "Thunder" totally blew me the fuck away, the album version of "Omen" is superior to the single version as far as I'm concerned, "Take Me To The Hospital" made me want to hurt someone very much (in a good way), "World's On Fire" can only be described as explosive, and the last two tracks ("Piranha" and "Stand Up") close the album out nicely by continuing the neck-breaking ferocity of the rest of the album with the former and finally easing up a bit with some Fatboy Slim-inspired slower breaks on the latter.

All in all, I expect this album to become fully featured in my current music rotation at home and in the car. If the extent of your breakbeat listening history is rooted in the likes of BT, Burufunk, and other progressive breaks artists, this might seem a bit jarring. But I should think that fans of Wave Theory (which I definitely am) will feel right at home with this album.

In closing, I think the vocal hook from "Thunder" sums the album up pretty well: "I hear thunder / but there's no rain / this kind of thunder break walls and window pane"

Yes yes just listened to it the other day and it really is an amazing album. Like one poster said earlier, it's no Fat of the Land, but it really does revive the Prodigy back to their roots with up to date, slick production with minimal old skool 90s techno thrown in for good measure. My standout track was Colours but that's just me. Currently number 1 album in the UK charts too. Represent...

I still gotta pick up the final release, but my top track was definitely Omen. Warrior's Dance was really awesome on YouTube but I didn't like the album version that I heard... just seemed very weak to me overall, not powerful. Thunder was good too, and the titular track has really grown on me. Take Me to the Hospital is probably the track most like Jilted/Experience which is a nice throwback.

with minimal old skool 90s techno thrown in for good measure. ... Currently number 1 album in the UK charts too. Represent...

Do you mean the amount of "old skool" 90's techno influence was minimal, or it was old skool 90's minimal techno? (sorry, just to clarify, cos if you meant the former, I'd be inclined to say that the amount of old skool rave influence was fairly outstanding. If you meant the latter, I'm not hearing any minimal techno at all... :tomatoface: )

Also, another UK artist with a recent album release well worth mentioning is Mistabishi, of Hospital Records. His debut album Drop was great (reaching #2 on the iTunes download chart behind The Prodigy). Really fresh drum & bass and dubstep, highly recommended. :D

I remember reading in the thread for "Omen" that people said they didn't really like "Invaders Must Die" (the title track), but I don't see why. ... In closing, I think the vocal hook from "Thunder" sums the album up pretty well: "I hear thunder / but there's no rain / this kind of thunder break walls and window pane"

I think it's the hook in Invaders Must Die. It's terrible, as are the vocals on Thunder for that matter. I'd argue that these are the weakest points of the album. :? Basically in reiteration of my previous post I'm fairly ambivalent about this album. Omen (the Noisia remix in particular) and Warrior's Dance were really enjoyable. All in all though, I'm happy that The Prodigy are back. :)

Some tracks are fun like IMD, Omen, Thunder, Take Me to the Hospital. But nothing really amazing. I think IMD, Omen, Thunder took it in an interesting direction, but I expected more. Totally agree with zircon - Warrior's Dance was a letdown.

All in all, Omen was probably better than anything else on AONO, but I think AONO was a better album. One last comment - Dead Ken Beats is a million times better than any of the tracks on IMD, yet somehow it never made it on any record...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought "Warrior's Dance" sucked, I can't stand that track for some reason.

Anyway, Mistabishi's debut album came out the same week and I'm digging it a lot more -- definitely recommended for anyone who likes drum and bass. Its not life changing in anyway but still pretty sweet.

P.S. - Oh hell yeah Fireman Joe! I didn't see your comment until I was about to post mine.

Anyway, Mistabishi's debut album came out the same week and I'm digging it a lot more -- definitely recommended for anyone who likes drum and bass. Its not life changing in anyway but still pretty sweet.

YES YES YES YES THIS.

It's so good. There are a couple tracks that aren't really drum and bass at all, but the drum and bass ones are excellent.

Do you mean the amount of "old skool" 90's techno influence was minimal, or it was old skool 90's minimal techno? (sorry, just to clarify, cos if you meant the former, I'd be inclined to say that the amount of old skool rave influence was fairly outstanding. If you meant the latter, I'm not hearing any minimal techno at all... :)

Ah well observed, you got me there pal. I should have written 'elements' instead of 'minimal'. It was a late night at the time I was writing this lol. Whatever the case, good album. Period.

I actually listened to a bunch of the tracks on Mistabishi's album over on Beatport and it didn't really do anything for me. Thought it was pretty boring, to be honest.

Which ones, if I might ask?

Printer Jam was cool, but felt totally out of place on Hospital mix 7. I quite enjoyed No Matter What, Damage, Light's Really Bad, Greed, From Memory. Perhaps try them again, if you still don't like 'em, well... :-P not much I can do I guess. Try Logistics' and Danny Byrd's albums from last year! (Uh, do we need a drum & bass-specific thread? :idea: )