Disney goes back to it's roots... about time..

Toadofsky

The Emperor's New Groove was the last hand-drawn musical movie that disney came out with that was awesome. It was the end of an era.

See that's how I felt about it. The story didn't really have a necessity or a whole lot to bank on being able to fit songs into it. They could have, but it would have interfered with the storyline. They had a great cast for it, and they had great writers for it. The part with the "shoulder angels" is still funny to me. And I did enjoy the look of the characters. It was kind of like a mix of Aladdin and Hercules (though it is the Mayan era in that film)...

I've actually wanted to see Enchanted Darkesword, I've heard it's basically Disney making fun of themselves. Which sounds pretty interesting.

The artwork and coloring in that trailer seem really off to me, I dunno what it is, but maybe that's just a side effect Disney making an animated feature within the same 2-3 years of closing down most of it's major animation houses.

The last good animated movie I saw that was good on the art, story, and sound front was Lilo and Stitch.

Hopefully this movie is just a warm up, and they'll put out some amazing stuff in the future once they've built their animation houses back up.

(I've heard Disney's Bolt was good, but I haven't seen it, yet). Dreamworks did perfect with the first Shrek, no question, but fell flat in my opinion on the two sequels.

Bolt was very well done, when it was all over honestly I was shocked that it wasn't made with Pixar's help it was so good.

Ohh, and about those Shrek sequels... there's a 4th on the way, as well as a possible 5th, yeech!

Bolt was very well done, when it was all over honestly I was shocked that it wasn't made with Pixar's help it was so good.

Ohh, and about those Shrek sequels... there's a 4th on the way, as well as a possible 5th, yeech!

Actually, John Lasseter had a hand in helping with Bolt, still, it's a good movie from what I've heard. And I do know they're making Shrek 4 and 5, I've heard someone say Mike Myers wouldn't be interested in doing it unless it had a good story, so I've heard.

But I won't be seeing either of them. Shrek 2 was okay, but it didn't have much going for it besides the tiring cliché of newlyweds fighting (that is one cliché I'm so sick of) And Shrek the Third felt like it was trying to clutch on to any ideas they could possibly find to make a buck.

SPOILER ALERT.....Like it really matters with this movie...

Merlin was not that funny and a waste of the guy from Monte Python's talent, oh, Donkey and Puss switch bodies ooh "funny", and I actually was a little offended by that whole king dying with the James Bond song "Live and et Die" playing in the background.

The Rescuers Down Under is an overlooked gem, both in terms of music and the film itself.

This, alot. I put this movie on loop when I was a kid. Even now when my little sibs watch it I find myself stopping to check it out and 15 minutes later slapping myself thinking, "Get a grip boy, you're practically a man!" and then I scurry on my way.

"I didn't go all the way through 3rd grade, fer nothin'!"

I am REALLY excited about this one. Hand drawn animation has really been a lost art since around 97. Far as I can remember, Princess Mononoke was the last pure hand drawn movie. I'm sure this'll have some CG in it, but it's great to see a return to the roots.

Without quoting half the thread, anyone who hasn't seen Enchanted should, it's a hilarious sendup of everything Disney ever. Also, Amy Adams. Need I say more?

And while I agree that Disney's movies from 1989 till about 1995 were amazing, I think Don Bluth topped some of them for looks. Secret of NIMH is in my opinion one of the most gorgeous pieces of animated art ever created. Don Bluth is an amazing animator. For that matter, Anastasia and Titan AE (even with a ton of CG) were both gorgeous as well, although Titan AE wasn't recieved very well.

holy crap, here comes my childhooooooooooooood!!!!

More like,

Holy crap, My childhood just came.

yeah. I'm now really looking forward to this movie!

And it's good to know my friend whose going to Columbia College Chicago for animation will have the possibility of doing old school 2D work after graduation.

And while I agree that Disney's movies from 1989 till about 1995 were amazing, I think Don Bluth topped some of them for looks. Secret of NIMH is in my opinion one of the most gorgeous pieces of animated art ever created. Don Bluth is an amazing animator. For that matter, Anastasia and Titan AE (even with a ton of CG) were both gorgeous as well, although Titan AE wasn't recieved very well.

Don Bluth is one of my favorites as well, but he just could barely ever get a break. I don't recall his movies except a small few being successful. But that's not to say I never enjoyed him movies. Secret of Nihm was much better than the book itself.

I have Titan, and it's good as well.

Don Bluth is one of my favorites as well, but he just could barely ever get a break. I don't recall his movies except a small few being successful. But that's not to say I never enjoyed him movies. Secret of Nihm was much better than the book itself.

I have Titan, and it's good as well.

Yeah, I think the reason that he could never "get a break" is because he was always pushing the boundaries on animation/content, and he didn't tend to sugar coat things a whole lot.

I kind of wonder what his movies would have been like if he had had more control of what was going on, I know with Land Before Time he had to tone some stuff down cause it was considered too hardcore for the kiddies or something.

More people should be willing to push the boundaries like he did.