NeverEnding story, retold

Toadofsky

Okay, Hollywood, is officially out of ideas, at least that's what it seems to me.

I originally saw this on FoxNews.com, but I'd would prefer to link this to another site with this news...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3iaeb1c24de37000ac9d6ab15e86a4f615

According to the report, the original producer of the first film is attached to it, as well as others (don't know if they were involved), are wanting to explore the more nuanced details from the book that ultimately were overlooked from the original film.

Honestly, I know 80's purists are going to/are pissed about this. But me honestly, I'm curious how they'll pull it off. They can at least introduce the film to a new generation, which is what this is going to do. I wouldn't mind seeing them do this, I was starting to wonder when they'd do it.

Originally, the writer of the book (Michael Ende) actually tried to sue Wolfgang Peterson (director) of the original film for straying too far from the source (he didn't win). But maybe this remake will be able to follow the book a little closer. I've read the book, but I have to say, if they do a sequel, I really wouldn't want them to get into the bizarre stuff that goes on with Bastian when he's in the book's world (I'm not going to elaborate).

All I ask is two things from this film, Klaus Doldinger's music during the flights be in there, and the song from Limahl be in it.

Aw man, I gave my friend the original on DVD for Christmas. Now I feel like I gave him an outdated gift. Or, classic...let's call it classic.

Different can be good. Let's see how it goes, then bitch about the CGI ruining it. DAMN YOU JAR JAR!

I am a huge fan of The Neverending Story. I've listened to the soundtrack a million times, I've watched the first two movies a million times, and I've read the book two and a half times. I've had countless people talk me out of tattooing an Auryn on the center of my chest. I have listened to Limahl and Beth Orton belt out the main theme whilst cruising in my car through the countryside and blasting said theme through the twelve inch speakers in my trunk. My eyes get watery when the opening credits of the first movie start, and I'm not even a real wuss.

Sorry for all that, but I just wanted to let you know how I feel about it. Without question, I will purchase tickets and be off for work for the remake on day 1 (should the remake occur) - but I'm not all for it. To me, it's pointless to remake something that is such a classic. I'm well aware that the movie is an abridged version of the first half of the book (and the second is a semi-detailed version of the second half of the book), but I think The Neverending Story (the movie) is pure cinematic and musical perfection. It is emotionally rivetting - it is a full rollercoaster of emotions displayed in seven shades of awesome. Even the effects hold up well. The casting is excellent. The pacing is perfect. The length of the movie is perfect. It's just perfect.

Money - Remakes are profitable. It's a sure moneymaker, because the movie has a surprisingly large cult following and fantasy films are still the shit right now, and the planks are all in place for a remake. Why not do something if there's money involved?

I don't want it to be touched. It is a sweet virginy goddess that need not be tainted. I am sorry. Hey, but if anyone wants to go see it I'll be down here on day one.

DON'T FUCK UP FALKOR!

How can it be retold if it never ended?

Har har har. Burn taken.

I expect alot of cgi Nekofrog, as long as they don't go crazy with it, and treat it like they did LOTR (aka a mix of cgi and traditional sets, animatronics, etc), I'd think that to be good. If they really do a lot on cgi, fine, no big deal. Too bad Guillermo del Torro and Peter Jackson are busy making the Hobbit right now, they'd be perfect for this kind of movie.

As far as the song being done by some pop artist, as long as it's someone good, I have no qualms with it.

And yes, the soundtrack is excellent, I'm listening to it right now. Who knew the swamps of sadness had guitars in it? Or guitar in the music in general? I sure never did. I'd hope they'd retain some of it's memorable songs (aka Bastian's flight definitely), but I doubt it. Just as long as it's still done well, I'm okay with that.

I'd hope for Falkor to be a blend of cgi and animatronic, but that might be hoping for too much.

I swear, Gmork used to give me nightmares as a kid, those beady green eyes made me afraid of the dark, and every time I've thought of him while walking in the dark still creeps me out. I don't expect a change in that at all.

I wish the old guy who plays the scientist was still alive, I loved that guy... "To the winch, WENCH!" "He made it! He made it!!!" (Geekspasm, sorry)

I'd like to see if Cairon (aka that Black guy that sent was addressing everyone at the Ivory Tower) is actually a centaur in this one, or Atreyu actually having green skin, as it was in the book.

Hmm, Megan Fox as the childlike emp....nah, she's too old... dang.

I never saw the original, So if I see this movie first does that mean I'll like the new version better than the original?

If you haven't seen the original, then you haven't picked up the 100 bucks lying under your nose. Just go ahead and buy it.

I never saw the original, So if I see this movie first does that mean I'll like the new version better than the original?

Well, hard to say, for some today, the effects are not that great. But that's for techno geeks that can't enjoy a film. I had a friend of mine who's about 16 watch it, and he didn't really like it. But I told him, it's just one of those movies you see as a kid, that you grow up with, and it stays with you, at least for ones like me.

I'd say watch it, and judge it for yourself.

They'll botch it.

You know that rhymes with his post right?

But it's hard to say, if they treat it right, especially the source material, they might pull it off. But they don't need to repeat the original film scene for scene.

Ugh. Why ruin a movie that was done perfectly to begin with? I'll take models/puppets to cheesy CGI any day of the week, and even if they make it the most beautiful movie ever made (they won't), there's no way they can recapture the charm of the original. It's one of those classic 80's movies that really stands the test of time. Some movies I loved as a kid don't hold up well when I watch them these days, but if you haven't watched in a while do yourself a favor and rent/buy the Neverending Story on DVD and get ready for a nostalgia bomb that will leave you completely satisfied. Screw remaking a movie that's barely 20 years old and was perfect to begin with.

Remaking a movie so it's closer to the book doesn't seem to work for most people. Look at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: it's way closer to the book than Willy Wonka was, but all the people I talk to say that they like the original better than the new one.

Add that to the fact that a lot of the stuff that gets left out of the film version of books is stuff that works better in written format then a visual one. Yeah, sometimes little side stories/characters get cut way down, but if you want to read a book, read a book; if you want to see a movie, see a movie. I'd be curious to see the new version, but I don't see how adding a few scenes or whatever could really improve the core story that much. It's already all there.

Seeing the Neverending Story as a child was a special treat for me. I remember waking up one day, I went to my parents room to say hello. They told me they had a special surprise in the VCR downstairs. Once I got past the HELL of turning everything on (I was a techno-n00b-still am) I whooped and hollared and danced 'cause my FAVORITE movie of all time was playing. Yeah. It's like that.

I still haven't read the book itself. I don't know where to find it, 'cause if I could I'd definitely read it.

I've come to the conclusion that remaking a series or movie won't destroy the original. It certainly can be stupid and completely unwarrented, but sometimes remakes can produce favorable or even better results than the original. Occassionally. This idea could turn into something huge and epic, or become a travesty that will be scorned by people everywhere. Personally, it's something I'll be looking forwards to.

Add that to the fact that a lot of the stuff that gets left out of the film version of books is stuff that works better in written format then a visual one. Yeah, sometimes little side stories/characters get cut way down, but if you want to read a book, read a book; if you want to see a movie, see a movie. I'd be curious to see the new version, but I don't see how adding a few scenes or whatever could really improve the core story that much. It's already all there.

Nice to hear from you Evilhead, s'been a while.

I agree that there are things that won't necessarily work in film format. Which is why I wonder why so many comic book fanboys can't get that through their thick skulls when certain films don't follow a comic page for page. I saw Sin City, and was bored by it. Sure, it looked neat, but honestly, if I wanted to see something that close to the source, I'd read it.

I'm getting off topic here, but this is my little two cents. When it comes to following a book, game, comic book, cartoon series, etc., if liberties are taken, I'm okay with it. Granted, it shouldn't go too far out of left field from the source (Spiderman 3, countless others I'm sure), and as long as it doesn't completely screw things up, hey no problem.