Yeah, so I'm not thinking of getting one of those DS flashcarts...

The Damned

First, let me say that I will not be downloading any GBA or DS games for it. Yeah, I know... "Everyone says that," but I have absolutely no desire to pirate games I can easily purchase in stores, and since I make oil field money, that's not a problem. I have a rather nice collection so far and plan to expand it even further.

Now, to the meat of the matter:

My 160 gb MP3 player is great if I want to watch videos, have (basic) internet access and transfer lots of data around, but it has no games, which is a big letdown.

The DS, on the other hand, better battery life, has lots of games, and they're compact enough to carry several around with me at any given time. Sadly, it offers no media playback.

So I decided to look into some sort of large capacity flash cards. There are ones that support 32 gb Micro SDHC cards, which is great for me, because that's a lot of music.

I'm asking for opinions and recommendations from anyone that has any DS cards. What's your experience with them, and what should I be looking for?

If your looking for media playback, as far as I know pretty much any of the main flash cards will do. Just throw MoonShell on there and you're golden.

As for specific cards, the only one I have any experience with is the DSTT. I gave one to my brother a year or so ago, and he hasn't had any problems with it. (and he's not exactly the most technologically inclined person, either!)

I'm not sure if linking to dealers here is a good idea, but there are places online that have that particular card for the extremely low price of ~$7.00 US with free shipping. (hint: google the underlined words!)

Actually, I think you can link to the manufacturer sites, and even to sites that sell the devices. It's just linking to ROMs and other copyrighted material that is against the rules. Otherwise, it would be like arguing that you can't link to, say... any MP3 player site, because you can download music and play it on said player.

I'm looking over some other reviews, and I don't see the DSTT listed anywhere. Either it's regional, or it's not one of the higher recommended ones.

Using a DS as an MP3 player? Yech... Don't see why you don't just carry a smaller MP3 player (iPod nano or the clones, for instance). Much better interface/battery life, etc. Plus you can play games WHILE you listen to your MP3s, which is what I do most of the time.

Also, you can watch videos on your DS using a flash cart, just get ready for horrible resolution and bad playback features.

Sounds like you'd be in the market for a PSP, really. It can do everything you want to do right out of the box, and much better than the DS can, especially in terms of video playback. And if you rip your games to big memory sticks you can carry quite a lot with you without any hassle.

I don't know if you know about the Nintendo DSi coming out on April 5 in North America, but it's worth checking out for what you're wanting to do. One of the new features is that it has an SD card slot and a media player (can't do MP3's but I'm sure someone will come up with an easy fix for that), as well as a browser, a couple low-res cameras, and a crapload more RAM.

Of course, getting a flashcart would be cheaper, but the audio output on the DS isn't really that great. You'd be better off getting a cheap MP3 player IMO.

but the audio output on the DS isn't really that great. You'd be better off getting a cheap MP3 player IMO.

I've noticed that most of this is due to shitty compression in most games. When you're playing actual MP3's on a flashcart, it actually doesn't sound half bad.

on headphones, anyway

why the hell would you buy a flashcart for anything but games

Exactly. The Damned has a meager collection of DS games at best, and ethics aside, even carrying around several of the extremely slim DS games is a pain in the ass. I love having a flashcart because I can have, at any moment, a selection of up to 40 or 50 DS games a soft reset away. No fiddling with carts or cases. It's especially nice in the wamer months when I don't have a jacket pocket to slip my DS with case in. I can just put the nude system in my pants pocket and be on my way. With a flashcart you can backup saves easily, get imports right away, etc. Yeah, buy the games you really know you'll want to have, but the whole point of a flashcart is so you can have a huge library of games at your fingertips. Getting a flashcart to set up one of the worlds biggest and clunkiest MP3 players doesn't seems to make a lot of sense... I'd get a PSP or iTouch and be done with it.

Well i wouldn't really recommend using the DS as a media player, but since you say that you make oilfield money then I'd recomend either an AceKard 2 (GPL'd firmware, with a user-created branch) or a Top-Toy DSTT (so inexpensive, that you wouldn't even be disappointed if the media playing capabilities of the DS were unsatisfactory)

Yeah, if money is no object a PSP is a better choice. The DS is really not ideal for anything besides DS games, unless you're really into touch-sensitive apps like Colors, World of Sand, Crayon Physics, etc. But then again, if money is no object, you could get an iPod Touch or even one of these babies. :)

Why the fuck isn't that a phone? I god i would pick that up so fast if it was D:

May as well get a PSP if you want media playback. Borrowed one from a friend who didn't have much use for it, but I found it useful when I've downloaded vid reports both work and news related.

Plus flash carts are meant for games... Unless you're homebrewing games but still they're just for games...

My 160 gb MP3 player is great if I want to watch videos, have (basic) internet access and transfer lots of data around,

The DS, on the other hand, better battery life, has lots of games, and they're compact enough to carry several around with me at any given time.

Honestly you already have what you need. A flashcart at this point? A waste. Don't bother. Just get a fannypack.