OCR01811 - Ragnarök Online "Sun Ra"

djpretzel

Yeah, the piano slurs the intro pretty badly. But thankfully, it's just a few seconds. What follows is tight. Plenty good. I like the alternation between busier, lead-filled sections and more mellow, laid-back ones. This doesn't quite blow through the roof for me (yet, more listens might open it up more), but it's near, and it's very enjoyable, and it's making me groove..

--Eino

Haven't got Hybridism

For shame.

Anyway, I can understand why the piano would be a little skittish for the intro, but that can be overlooked for what comes after.

This isn't just any lounge/jazz music though; its full of caffeine giving it a very nice jittery, upbeat, energetic vibe going on.

On a related note, I was confused for a few seconds, but in the actual album this track is listed as "Higher than the Sun."

re: intro. The timing of the piano is a little off. I double-checked, and curiously it sounds fine on laptop speakers, but quite offensive on headphones. It's a nitpick, yes, but it's also the first thing one hears when pressing play. It wasn't the greatest first impression.

That out of the way, let me reiterate that this is one fiiiiiiine track.

--Eino

• 2 weeks later...

A great sonic palate here- there's a ton of variety without it losing that strong funk flavor. The textural shifts are well executed, as there is so much going on, and the little synth cameos are excellent. The clav is extra fun, and some stuff I can't even name.

Really, this is like a journey through funk; there are so many sounds in this, I really like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01811 - Ragnarök Online "Sun Ra"