Dreamcast

linkspast

The "every SHMUP you can find" motion seconded, if you're into those type of games. Also Space Channel 5, Power Stone, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Shenmue.

Jet Grind Radio is fun and the soundtrack is addictive.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (if you haven't played it on a different system).

Evolution 1 and 2 are decent RPGs.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is an amazing adventure game, even if the rest of the series has sucked hardcore (except Blood Omen).

Project Justice

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

Time Stalkers

House of the Dead 2 (If you can find a light gun for it)

Zombie Revenge is freaking awesome.

Grandia II is an RPG so incredibly cliche it is hilarious to watch, and the battle system is no slouch. Skies of Arcadia is also awesome.

Honestly, I can't really recommend Phantasy Star Online at this point - without the ONLINE part of the game it is a lot harder to manage. Imagine logging on to World of Warcraft and finding nobody there - that's what playing it offline is like. It is an amazing game... but without actually being online it has lost a lot of flavor.

Online mode can be played with private servers. And if you've got a good, consistent group of 4 then you really don't need much more than that. Granted the community was what made the original few versions of PSO great, but I think if you had a solid group of buddies it could be fun.

Yeah, private servers are the only way to play the game at this point. I was specifically referring to the iterations that came out on Gamecube and PC, and the private servers available.

SCHTHACK's server is really easy to get logged into, and is the best route imo, though last time I went online with them it was plagued with hackers and stuff... still if you were able to get a good group of friends together, it'd be fine.

Of course, actually finding people that want to play PSO is the main issue. It has been for me. I've thrown around the idea of starting a private server, but no one seems interested. Most everyone I know feels like if they're going to play an RPG online, they'd rather it be WoW than anything else...

PSO: Blue Burst private servers are supposed to be particularly easy to create.

Man, to play Phantasy Star Online again with a little group of buddies would be so great. I loved that game so much.

... man I miss the old PSO days. Something that was fantastic was the community (especially on Dreamcast). I haven't met a better online community of players than that yet.

*sigh* Anyway, I'm ending this little reminiscing session right here.

I actually picked up a Dreamcast a few years ago too, but I still don't have a whole lot of games for it... Here's what I can recommend, though:

Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio -- a quirky little game that's lots of fun. The Japanese title was Jet Set Radio, but it was changed to Jet Grind Radio in the US for copyright reasons; try both names if you're looking for it. You play a member of a graffiti gang in a fictional city, and have to go around expanding your territory by spraying your tags across the city, competing against other gangs and avoiding the cops in the process. And for some reason you're all wearing some sort of crazy battery-powered rocket-skates, so you get to do tricks and stuff in addition to spraying your graffiti. It's a 3D platformer at heart, but great music, unique gameplay, and brilliant graphics (it was, IIRC, one of the first games to use cel shading). The Xbox "Jet Set Radio Future" sequel/remake doesn't hold a candle to it. Pick it up if you see it.

Bangai-O -- A game I don't have myself, but I would grab it if I found it. A basic shmup with an interesting twist; your ship has a special ability that allows it to counter bullet hell with its own holy-crap-that's-a-ton-of-missiles attack; for every projectile on the screen, it launches TWO; one counters the enemy bullet (destroying both) and the other attacks the enemy that launched it. I remember watching my friend play this way back in the day -- good fun. He never could beat the last boss, though...

Shenmue -- I have a copy of this but I've not actually played it. Don't know a damn thing about it. It's supposed to be really good, though. :tomatoface:

Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes -- Okay, if you're into Gundam at all, and you have a Dreamcast, you pretty much have to pick this up. If you're not into Gundam but you like giant robots, you should pick it up anyway. It's unique among Gundam games because it actually puts you inside the cockpit of the MS rather than giving you a third person view. Gameplay is pretty standard arcade-y shooter stuff, though with the addition of NPC allies you can command (which is neat), and melee combat (which sucks). It's a bit short (only 10 missions) but you should be able to pick it up for cheap, so no reason not to give it a shot.

Capcom vs. SNK

Jet Grind Radio, definitely

And hey, I like Space Channel 5...I'm still trying to finish it. If only I could remember where I packed the controller, I'd be in business. :razz:

Resident Evil: Code Veronica unless you've played that already.

Stay away from Blue Stinger and Illbleed. Ugh, those games made me want to cry...or laugh...or both. Just terrible.

I would think the obvious games to get would be Capcom vs SNK, Marvel vs Capcom 2, RE: Code Veronica, and Soul Calibur. However, both of the Sonic Adventure games for DC are really good, and there's a relatively unknown racing game called Speed Devils that I've always thought was quite fun.

I have:

• Sonic Adventure 1/2, both are kickass
  • Power Stone 1/2, both kiss ass as well, except that Power Stone 2 needed more levels and the adventure mode was rushed (sucked). For duels, PwS1 is better.
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2, sweet ass game
  • Street Fighter Aplha 3, cool.
  • King of Fighters '99 Dream Match, pretty damned cool, big selection.
  • Skies of Arcadia broke, so I'm looking for a new one.
  • more, if not mentioned at the moment.

This is truth.

Amen, for the gospel has been preached. Sweet soundtrack.

I can't recommend Shemue enough. The DC version is still the only way to play the original, which some people say is actually superior to Shenmue 2. Sure, "Shenmue: The Movie" comes with the XBox version of Shenmue 2 and gives you all the storyline you need to know, but it's boring watching it that way when you could be playing it. And if you don't have an XBox or a 360, the European version of Shenmue 2 will load on a US system with a simple boot disc that is easily found online. No English voice overs, but that might actually help the game.

Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves is one of the best 2D fighters of all time, if not the best. It emulates pretty easily, but it's much cooler to own it so if you're into 2D fighters I highly recommend it.

One game that hasn't been mentioned is the Godly arcade racer San Frasisco Rush 2049. It's also on Midway's Arcade Hits Volume 3, along with Hydro Thunder (another DC must have) so you could get it that way too though. Playing this game today, it doesn't feel like it's aged at bit. The track design is brilliant, and there's also an addictive stunt mode and a car combat mode that puts most dedicated car combat games to shame. Then there's the extremely difficult to unlock obstacle course which is just insane. The replay value on this game is amazing.