switching to a trackball mouse

LITHE

I just recently switched to trackball and Im really surprised how much more efficient it is when your mixing tracks. especually if your like me and you have 2 high res displays. before I had to constanly lift my mouse off the pad and move it back to span across both displays. now just a little flick of the ball and Im there. its much better for scrolling too. its also surprising how fast you get used to it.

I was also told that when you get used to its a lot better for gaming, especually first person shooters.

if your thinking of switching to trackball I highly recomend it.

the trackball I got is a kensington "expert mouse"

I think I would find a trackball weird...I just have my sensitivity ridiculously high, I can scan from one side to the other of my 2 monitor display in a 1/2 inch of movement. Anyone else who uses it gets weirded out. I don't even notice it anymore other than that I'm much faster than before.

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I use dual monitors at home and work, I never pick the mouse up. Modern mice have a variable sensitivity, so fast movements translate into further travel, slower movements are more precise. This is commonly referred to as mouse acceleration.

As for trackballs.. I've used them in the past. The problem I've always had is mid speed accuracy. With a mouse, I can grab windows from the other monitor easily, the amount of movement is easily predictable. With a trackball, you rely more on momentum and things get tricker. It's also harder to correct your angle when it gets a bit off. In the end, I just couldn't get my head around it.

I've never seen anyone use a trackball for gaming.

Two exceptions come to mind.

First is Marble Madness (arcade). Oh, I had much fun playing this at Katsucon last month... But that's sort of a unique case, since the game was designed for the trackball.

Second, only one person I know ever used a trackball for gaming--mostly for MMOs (Guild Wars and WoW). Apparently, they're useful if (a) you're fine with the learning curve for getting used to the trackball over the mouse, and (B) you hate moving your hand and/or lifting up the mouse constantly. I can see the utility in FPSs also (where the mouse is just used to aim and shoot), or anywhere where the mouse is used for movement more than for clicking in specific places.

But, that guy was the only exception. I've tried and I've just found trackballs way too cumbersome. KF

The couple times I went to the AES convention I saw a lot of trackballs.

There was still a fair number of the at last year's convention, now they're moving toward making dedicated hardware to do away with mice use for music.(Like Sonar's V-Studio 700 and Cubase's CC121)

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I use dual monitors at home and work, I never pick the mouse up. Modern mice have a variable sensitivity, so fast movements translate into further travel, slower movements are more precise. This is commonly referred to as mouse acceleration.

As for trackballs.. I've used them in the past. The problem I've always had is mid speed accuracy. With a mouse, I can grab windows from the other monitor easily, the amount of movement is easily predictable. With a trackball, you rely more on momentum and things get tricker. It's also harder to correct your angle when it gets a bit off. In the end, I just couldn't get my head around it.

what resolution are your displays? mine are both 1920X1200. thats a lot of pixels to scan across. And yes... trackballs are great for gaming. I havent tried out mine yet because Im more of a "hands on" gamer... consoles...

I first decided to switch to trackballs because I had an Idea of switching the right thumbstick with a trackball on 360 and PS 3. apparently when I looked it up I wasnt the first person to think of this. I was telling a friend that works at THQ about my idea. I asked if trackballs are at all suitable for FPS. he said "actually some of the best first person shooter gamers use trackball". also, my brother visited a cartoon network studio, and he noticed that the guy using pro tools was using trackball and was incredibly fast at it.

I decided to look up on google "trackball vs. mouse". every review that I saw favored trackball. I also read somewhere that trackballs range in quality is a lot wider than a standard mouse. I read that the placement of the ball is important (thumb track balls are not as good apperantly) and the most important factor is the size of the ball. thats what lead me to keningston expert mouse. this mouse is very accurate and easy to use. and I noticed that some of my work is already more efficient. this is only after a week of use...

I did notice that my trackball has acceleration. I absolutly love it and wish my old ligitech had that. though with or without acceleration, I would have to go with trackball.

And to that I say no, end story. There are probably some decent trackball players somewhere... in some game... But among the "best" I've never heard of it (and I've been nerding PC FPS games and scene since their dawn).

Just felt the need to be a dick or whatever that probably came off as since it's close to heart. I'm sure they're good to work with and wouldn't oppose trying sometime :)

well personally, I dont know. I havent played a FPS on a PC since counterstrike and I dont mean source... and even though Im getting used to trackball, FPS still seem like they would be awkward. but if I remember correctly, according to him (he is not a trackball user) trackballs have the advantage over mouse because of the "flick, stop" action or something. apperantly when you get a feel for the trackball, you can flick the ball and stop it at the right area. It was something like that. I dont remember all of it. I'll ask him next time I see him. Though I usually trust this guys judgment over anyone when it comes to gaming. its practicaly his life. hes more of an RTS guy though... but one advantage I do know of that trackball have is that you never have to lift and move the mouse.

to me the FPS advantages over eather doesnt really matter too much. the computer is more of a workstation to me. and I personally like the feel of trackball over mouse with what I do. and in almost everything I do, I like to stay away from the norm and go my own direction.

Seems like trackballs might be good because your thumb probably can do more detailed movement than your wrist, so you can put the sensitivity way up without compromizing your accuracy. I bet they need less desk space as well...hmmm maybe I should grab one.

I would recommend a big center trackball. I feel that being able to switch between 3 fingers (index, middle, & ring) helps the accuracy and flow. Though it seems like a thumb trackball would be an easier transition from mouse to trackball because left clicking with your thumb takes some getting used to.

its very true that trackballs take less desk space. I have a desk with a sliding tray and before there wasnt enough room for my mouse and keyboard. so my keyboard was on the tray and mu mouse was on the desk... it was very annoying. now Im able to fit both on the tray.

also trackball is supposably healthier for your wrist and doesnt cause repetitive movement stress or whatever. though after about 10 years of using a mouse I naver had an issue with my wrist...

also trackball is supposably healthier for your wrist and doesnt cause repetitive movement stress or whatever. though after about 10 years of using a mouse I naver had an issue with my wrist...

i'm currently suffering from problems, and it was caused by about 85% mouse, 15% keyboard (my mouse wrist has it a lot worse)

proper mouse technique, and a mouse pad with gel, though, can help (more so the former than the latter). if your wrist is touching the mousepad it's probably badddddd. and of course microbreaks, physical therapy, etc etcetc

i haven't really considered switching to trackball seriously, though as somewhat of a last resort i would certainly go for it.

I had to use a trackball for my classes in recording (as the teacher swore by them), and I've got to say that they're not bad. I can understand the fear of them, but give them a few days practice and you'll be just fine.

It hasn't convinced me to make the switch quite yet, but I'm thinking about it (first I need a computer that doesn't randomly mute itself and become unusable at the most inconvinient times... priorities, you know :P).

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Wheel for my music.

ROFL! I looked it up to see what the hell that was. that was an awesome hoax. I actually believed it for a few minutes. I was shocked, though this really wouldn't be a surprise from mac.

"...spent 45 min. writing an email to his friend."