OCR01815 - Tales of Phantasia "Crisis Healing Salve"

djpretzel

This was... huh... I......... really don't have a lot of words for this...

Hemo's work gave this mix good life, while Chris's gave this thing some great guitar work...

I'm sorry... but this mix has really left me lost for words. :oops:

It's like Djpretzel said: "an odd-but-charismatic arrangement"

This would be about three pretty good tracks on it's own, though the transitions and connections between the three are a bit tenuous. The guitar playing is fantastic, and the subtle details like the low string glissando's and the driving harpsichord make it a good track to listen to while contemplating where to hold your next poetry reading.

First of all, I think this track has the coolest title on the whole project.

The sub bass at 1:48 is one of my favorite moments.

Very coherent and the transitions work extremely well for such an eclectic genre.

I love the guitar tone, but the tremolo picking at 2:33 and especially 2:36 kinda irks me.

Anyways, congratulations on a great, stylish and emotionally charged track.

• 2 weeks later...

At first I had mixed feelings about this mix, but after a couple more listens to decide what my true feelings were I like it quite a bit.

I love the opening and think is transitions to the guitar part at just the right time. The section from 2:25 to 2:40 doesn't do much for me, but that's really a matter of personal taste.

All around though, this is an enjoyable mix to listen to :)

Nice work guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm torn over this one. There are parts I really enjoy, there are parts I enjoy seperately, and then there are parts I'm not sure about.

The intro is wonderful, and I think it fits Mint's theme perfectly. I would have loved to hear the entire song like that. The transition to the prog section was tenuous, I felt like scratching my head and wondering how it managed to get there.

The prog rock section in itself was pretty good, with fantastic guitar work. Some spots didn't mesh well, as the judges mentioned (some string sections weren't quite meshing right). The section from 2:20 was pretty cool, I found that to be the best moment in that section.

I'm glad people are willing to take a chance combining genres that we wouldn't expect. It didn't work overall for me, but there were moments I really enjoyed seperately.

The weird chords they needed to fit in probably made some transitions difficult. So considering, those sound fantastic.

I love the part around 1:30 going into the prog rock section. Pretzels right, does sound like law in order, more power to them for that lol. Nice kind of fade out-ish ending. What is that "wwwaaaaaah" sound in the background?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This one took a while for me to come around too, I'll be honest. Harpsichord never really sits right with me, so I wasn't a big fan of the intro and honestly I think I skipped over this track initially because of it. It's not any fault of the mixer, I just don't like that sound.

Luckily, on subsequent listens I found out that there was more to it, and since then I've actually enjoyed the song a lot! The synergy created between the mellow guitars and the ominous strings is very strong. CPac did a good job not only with playing the instrument, but also creating a great tone that really fits with the mood of the song.

Misleading intro aside, I really like this one. Nice work guys :-)

This song seems to start off odd with me - I think it might be the harpsichord being too muted, and perhaps some frequency range missing, making it sound unbalanced in some way, if that makes any sense.

The guitar is also mixed strangely, or it could be the whole song in general. It really throws off the listenability on repeat for me.

• 3 years later...

You simply can't hate this remark:

Genuinely fresh textures, here; maybe I've been watching too much Iron Chef, but this feels like one of those episodes where the main ingredient is something like Rhinoceros balls, but somehow they combine that with melon and light cream and the finished dish actually looks good. Or at least edible. I'm not saying the harpsichord here is akin to Rhino balls, I'm saying these two guys cooked up something interesting and palatable from some very unlikely ingredients.

I thought this mix was pretty enjoyable. Big fan of harpsichords and baroque-esque soundscapes. Guitar at 0:55 was a little reminiscent of Steve Vai, and kinda sounds like the style of Tender Surrender. Some tubular bells in the background were a nice touch, but a bit quiet. Strings were a tiny bit detached but alright. 2:13 phaser guitar was okay, but leading up to 2:20 was a bit sudden. Smooth writing overall, great piece.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01815 - Tales of Phantasia "Crisis Healing Salve"