Bully Main Theme + Ratchet and Clank Remix

Robotaki

Hey everyone!

I just found this freakishly old WIP in the depths of my "New Folder" graveyard of a computer. It was a remix of the Bully Main Theme and various Ratchet and Clank tunes that I remembered off the top of my head. Balancing is lacking a bit in a few sections just from first listen, reverb is a little heavy (an old habit of mine) and the beginning to middle sections drag slightly. I'm not entirely happy with the way things are so I'm thinking of a complete redo with the same ideas but just presented in a different way. march break's plenty of time.

However, I am mainly posting here to ask whether arrangement-wise this fits within the interpretive-conservative range OCR demands. I tried to capture the Bully 'fantasy pranciness' and the Ratchet and Clank 'take myself too seriously but it's cool-ness' so see how things went. I would REALLY like to include a part where you can completely hear the Bully melody at some point.

Oh, just in advance, working on this may be a little delayed because my soundfonts folder has mysteriously deleted itself so all the instruments used in this piece are missing. (Explaining why the recent Fester's Quest ReMix is completely electronic) It shouldn't be too much of a pain to retrieve but it's still...well, a pain. All my carefully collected soundfonts T.T Anyway, cheers and hope you enjoy this oldie :)

LINK:

Bully + Ratchet and Clank ReMix

SOURCE (Bully):

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Robo, you're obviously getting no new feedback until you finish up some of these fantastic wips of yours! :D Seriously, sounding good, especially by 01:24.. I love the vibe there.

The Dramatic Cello Stabs do some fast repeated notes around 03:00-03:13, and they sound pretty crammed and mechanical there.

The rhythm is quite different from the original (judging by listening the youtube link once), so there's definitely serious reinterpretation going on.

--Eino

this is sick. man you gotta finish up your wipSSSSS, you are like the next big thing to happen to ocr haha.

the production is definietely there. arrangement wise and interpretation is definitely on par with ocr standards. the only minor problem i have with this is the drums, could use a little more variation and just a bit of attack, other than that really good work here.

edit: btw the beginning to 1:24 what theme is that from? sounds really nice

MMhokay. Lets see here. My first thought was ratchet and clank, robot and lombax, but I couldn't remember a bully boss. Or a bully stage, or a bully powerup or weapon... Then it occurred to me there was also a bully game.:-?

This is a very percussion heavy piece. I hear the majority of your sounds being something that clicks, clanks, or is hit with a stick or mallet. It can get a little repetitive. (I hear bell kits, a xylophone, wind chimes, snare stick hits on rim, triangle, suspended cymbal, 2 pitch clapper thing I can't remember the name of) Anyways, my point is, it's lots of instruments that can't really change their pitch, so if you wanna vary things, it's gotta be in rhythm.

I like poly rhythms if they work in a piece. I always think of crazy upbeat Latin stuff when I think of auxiliary percussion, which is what those 2 tone clappers remind me of. You'd be surprised how well some subtle poly rhythms add to something as long as it fits into the grand scheme of things. Another neat thing to do is to write your parts broken down into odd times. (if you have 3 bars of 4/4, write it showing all 12 beats, and give it the feel of a bar of 3, then a bar of 4, then a bar of 5. Very progressive stuff, Dream Theater does this all the time.)

EDIT: I'm realizing looking back at it that I may not have been very clear on how to break that down. If you picture all 12 beats to break it down into a bar of 3/4 4/4 5/4 with a hit on ever beat would sound like (S snare B bass drum) B S S | B S B S | B S B S S. Then when it repeats, even though it's all in bars of 4, and is the right length, it doesn't sound like it quite fits. Anyways, sorry for the babbling, carry on.

When the standard drum kit comes in, it's a very DnB type beat, which works pretty well. If you're worried about it getting old, substitute some of your auxilary parts in on top of a more basic beat. I'm a percussion nut, so don't mind me picking nits and drooling...:tomatoface:

Good stuff overall, hope that gives you something to think about. I'll be keeping my eye out of this thing coming along.

-He

• 4 weeks later...