What music/video streaming service should OCR use?

Liontamer

Keeping in mind that Last.fm embeds no longer work, and we won't sell music on iTunes, I'm taking suggestions on where to add OC ReMixes.

YouTube's something I've wanted to do for a while (but making custom videos for mixes is tedious, so we'd probably have to cop-out with a basic still image), but there's also stuff like imeem. Spotify's also been recommended on the Euro side. Are there any other major services we're neglecting where we could share the ReMixes?

We're primarily looking for a service we can embed on the writeup pages to serve as previews like we used to have with Last.fm. Thanks for your help!

Edit:

Please keep in mind that we won't just use a generic flash player and run the streaming off our own servers. The idea is to upload OCR's catalog to an outside service so that we don't eat through all of our bandwidth when people decide they only want to stream remixes.

I believe that's a flash player that streams mp3 files on one's own site.

There's also archive.org. They now support embedding for their flash players as shown on my myspace

As far as OCRs getting on archive in the first place, it's probably legally defensible enough. hehe

Hm, I know the topic starter mentioned Youtube, and this actually this brings me up to something I was wondering about. A while ago I was thinking about uploading OCR albums onto my Youtube account in playlists as a way to sort of get more people to hear it or make some more people aware of the site, but I decided against it because I thought that I might be giving off the wrong impression if I did it without asking. I was kinda worried people might think I was trying to downplay the hard work that must gointo those albums. So, my question is, if I wanted to upload OCR albums onto my Youtube account ( http://www.youtube.com/user/SpanishFly120 ), while obviously giving credit to the remixers and people working on the project, would I be able to get permission to do so? If the answer's 'no', then I'll obviously understand.

Please keep in mind that we won't just use a generic flash player and run the streaming off our own servers. The idea is to upload OCR's catalog to an outside service so that we don't eat through all of our bandwidth when people decide they only want to stream remixes.

You can always ask one of your mirrors really really nicely if they'd be ok with streaming. :)

You can always ask one of your mirrors really really nicely if they'd be ok with streaming. :)

yeah, and then we'd go through our bandwidth for the month in about three days.

soundclick isn't a good option, you have to sign up to access their bloatware-ish flash music player. if sites like [thesixtyone] won't work, and last.fm is out, there really isn't much else out there that'd offer what you need.

i know that spotify doesn't work in certain countries, but would it be possible for pandora for the NA countries and spotify for things east of GMT? can aussies and asians get it? maybe a dual-provider solution is what you'd have to do, get someone to coordinate for different sites based on where they live.

edit: darkesword pointed out that i said pandora when i meant something else. that something else is thesixtyone.com.

i know that spotify doesn't work in certain countries, but would it be possible for pandora for the NA countries and spotify for things east of GMT? can aussies and asians get it? maybe a dual-provider solution is what you'd have to do, get someone to coordinate for different sites based on where they live.

Dunno why you're mentioning Pandora; that's a music-suggestion service. They don't have any kind of "upload your music and share it" functionality.

soundclick isn't a good option, you have to sign up to access their bloatware-ish flash music player. if sites like [thesixtyone] won't work, and last.fm is out, there really isn't much else out there that'd offer what you need.

Actually, soundclick is a very good option for what we need, as it allows deep link embedding off the soundclick site even with the free account with no sign-up for listeners required. I think getting VIP for $10 a month allows you access to prettier players and maybe faster load times, not sure.

Here's what the free account embedding looks like:

http://www.audixmusic.com/documents/72.html

Youtube would be such a hassle for mass uploadings, since it introduces the variable of actually having to render out a video for each track. We'd want HD quality available, I assume, which just means large file sizes, long upload times, and frustration. :)

Unless soundclick has some sort of bandwidth cap for free or VIP accounts (something we could ask them), I say that's the way to go.

Does HD really change all that much when it comes to actual audio quality though? I mean, I know that since the TV stations switched over to HD there's been an improvement in picture quality, but I haven't noticed any change at all really in sound quality, so it might just be extra hassle for little if it doesn't change much/anything. Of course, I could be way off on this whole thing.

HD on youtube is a whole different ballgame than HD on TV. There is a big difference between normal youtube sound quality and HD youtube sound quality. Sure, it's for a preview, but IMO it shouldn't even be considered when there are better options (i.e. soundclick) available.

An official OCR youtube channel would be better served with a few "official" music videos rather than a slew of our tracks with a static image IMO.