OCR01888 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Snowboardin' Sonic' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18231

Attached is a submission of mine called Snowboardin' Sonic

My ReMixer name is: Willrock07

My real name is William Harby

The game arranged in my remix is: Sonic the hedgehog 3

The individual song arranged is: Ice Cap Zone

This was the first mix I made using newly discovered production techniques. I subbed it, it was rejected, and I have subbed it again having made adjustments to my remix. Special thanks goes to the people that helped me at the WIP Board, and the judges for the feedback I received when it was originally rejected, without which, this piece would not be as good.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

Too much treble, but that could be fixed pretty easily I'd think.

Still not feeling the sound design or mixing here. I thought the lead was too loud at the expense of the background. For example, the synth bassline brought in at 1:37 was interesting, but was a bit too understated.

The textures still felt very basic, sparse despite the volume and not that interesting. Wasn't feeling the bland snare pattern, but I did like the shift to a kick pattern instead from 2:34-2:43, and the more varied patterns from 2:46-onward. I'm not saying make everything crazy, but keep the drum more interesting with more cool fills.

I'd scale back the foreground writing a bit, make the supporting writing louder and more integral to the mix and spice up the percussion. That's the short of it for me.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad our comments helped you last time and encouraged you to resubmit. We really don't get enough resubmits. This was a marked improvement over the last version, and I liked the new energy levels and usages of the source. If I can offer one criticism, it's to try out some more interesting synths and drum samples. You did a good job with what you had, I liked the motion and automation you added, but the sounds themselves are fairly basic.

The mixing could still be refined; pulling down some of the backing effects a hair and using EQ to cut out some boominess and give a less cramped sound, but I liked where this was at and I'm cool passing it. Good job, Will!

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rather sparse stuff, and the same basic synths are used from start to finish, but the synthy textures are nice and the effects keep things interesting. Writing is good, loving the solos and synth interaction. Mixing could be a bit more balanced, because I'd like to hear that bass more, but it's alright here.

Pretty close to the line with this one, but I'm leaning toward a yes. It's a fun track, nice work.

YES

Cool. You are clearly going for a sort of retro revival sound, and it's great. Larry thinks your instruments are too simple or something. Idunno. They are mixed well so it doesn't bother me that they aren't overly complex. Great dynamic use of reverb.

Yes it's pretty straightforward, but the execution is excellent.

YES