Starfox (Asteroid, Ending, Map/Main theme)

Dafydd

I think it sounds good and original, you really should finish it, there aren't enough starfox remixes. I'm not a musician (I'm a programmer), but here is my opinion:

- I think it gets a little repetitive near the end. I don't know the term for that, but instead of repeating the main theme, near the end, maybe you could break into a completely different melody and beat, like the main melody of corneria or something else. A little like the "Bowser is pissed" remix.

- I know its a w.i.p. but I think it should be longer.

- Personally I think the little "arcade game sound" that begin with the music doesn't really fit with starfox but its no big deal.

I can't wait to hear it when its done.

Oh, and by the way, what did you use for the brass ensemble or french horn like sound when the melody picks up? Is it a vsti?

Ah, good to see one of the more orchestral-styled tracks from this get done.

I think I'm gonna go back to my 3-part system I used to use on VGMix back in the day.

The good:

I like the use of the main theme against the Asteroid beat. It meshes well.

No obvious failures in chord structure or rhythmic integrity

The Bad:

~0:25 - A little less bass here, please. Though it isn't too bad. Could just be a taste thing.

~0:36 - A little too much flute, it sticks out.

~0:50 - Back the drums off a bit

~0:50-end: Gets a bit repetitive here, change it up a bit.

Overall/Conclusion:

This needs a little bit of balance. Melody is the most important part.

Dynamics are sparse. Add some to make it shine more.

Great ideas with the two source tunes.

Biggest problem: Repetitiveness. Change things up. Use different instruments. Also, don't be afraid to borrow more source material or throw something original in there.

Great potential. Give it a little polish, and it will shine.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. I do agree repetitiveness is an issue, but it's easy to slip into a copy&paste habit when you're making music on the computer.

The French horn you're hearing is Florestan's French horn soundfont. I think Darkesword may have it on his homepage, otherwise I'm sure a quick google search will find it for you.

i personally think it sounds fine. i like old skool bleeps, and i think it'd be cool to incorporate an arcade-shooter feel to this already shooter game. my preference would be have the bleeps fade out (instead of immediate cut) before their reintroduction), but thats just me being picky w/ trying to work w/ something so early in the works.

regardless, i'm deffinately digging the bit/symphonic fuse. the drums/base are fine, i wouldn't lower them, personally. very pretty song, sir.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. I do agree repetitiveness is an issue, but it's easy to slip into a copy&paste habit when you're making music on the computer.

The French horn you're hearing is Florestan's French horn soundfont. I think Darkesword may have it on his homepage, otherwise I'm sure a quick google search will find it for you.

Thanks for the soundfont name, I found it on the author's website. I like to mess around with thoses.

Nice, how did you learn to compose music? By yourself or at school? I'm trying to learn by myself but, so far I haven't understood a lot. And, that french horn soundfont is really awesome, its hard to make it sound bad, even when you feed it a midi track from a cell phone midi file.

Anyways, have you made any changes to your remix yet? If you're out of idea, you could maybe turn it into a medley, that's only a suggestion though.

The original idea was to make a medley (as suggested in the thread title), but I haven't worked on it long enough to flesh it out into distinct parts. I haven't worked on it further, I have an exam this week and shouldn't even have begun working on it, but I couldn't resist... :)

I haven't really been trained as a composer that much, I've been in choir school for 9 years and picked things up from songs we've sung. I made my first midi in 1993 and haven't really improved since... too many interests :D

Well i'm liking this one :P

Great choice of source tunage as well :P

I agree with DZC about the bass being too loud, I think its more of a frequency problem actually, things sound way up in the bass end a little too much.

I didn't notice it being repetitive tbh, I think its fine in that respect for now, just make sure to vary it enough in later parts.

Its a good start dude, I think its sweet, just don't go and muck it up next wip :tomatoface:

Nice work

First off, disclaimer, I haven't played any starfox aside from a little on the 64. That said -

The intro is cool, and intriguing, because that little arpeggio makes me expect something distinctly chiptune-ish, which isn't the case at all, and makes the orchestral instruments sound really nice.

I've got a problem with the little chippy sound dropping out completely at :44 - after being hit with it constantly for nearly a minute, suddenly missing it leaves quite a hole.

But after that, everything seems to be meshing well - the chord change at 1:16 comes just as the pattern is getting to the edge of my attention span, so that's sweet.

Yeah, anyway, what you've got is cool - I want to hear a 'break' area, where things drop off and get a little more staccato or syncopated, to sort of take a break from the bass and brass that've been blanketing things up to that point - the percussion would be nice to focus on for a few moments, if only for the sake of mixing things up before sweeping back into the orchestral bit again.

• 3 weeks later...