Mario 3 - Submarine Dream

Pretty nice stuff. I really like the instruments except for that lead that comes in at 2:25. I'm probably just being picky, but I just seems annoying to my ear. Not sure if it's meant to be like that or if it's like a "telephony" effect, though I kind of have a beef with it. Just a suggestion though, don't mind me. Everything else is quite solid. :tomatoface:

Hylian Lemon: Thanks! Noted! Perhaps it would help if the intro was more dynamic...since it's kind of not at this point. I just noticed all the strings' notes are the same velocity. :tomatoface:

TheKrow: And thank you, sir. Sorry you don't like the lead--I think it adds a much-needed crispy-crunchiness. To each his own. :-) Out of curiosity, what might make it more palatable?

Anyone else? Is no news good news?

Hmm, actually listening to it again, I think the problem might be the open hi-hat hits (or crashes, whatever they are) playing in the back ground while the lead plays. It almost sounds like there's just too much noise together. Fixing that might solve the problem, but if your looking for perhaps another lead suggestion, I would maybe try a poly synth? Perhaps some kind of woodwind synth. I would have to hear it myself, but that's just what I'm feeling.

Very nice! I do agree that maybe the quality of the strings in the beginning is a little low, but doesn't ruin the overall listening experience. The lead at 2:25 does kinda sound a little bland, maybe messing with the eq for a little more high end or so, just to make it a little clearer.

I love how you capture that underwater setting, its kinda dark, but yet hopeful and tranquil at the same time. I would love a link to the mp3 if ya don't mind! :)

Its definitely OCR worthy though!

I love how you capture that underwater setting, its kinda dark, but yet hopeful and tranquil at the same time.

Agreed. It feels like a Metroid Maridia mix, with that incessant foreboding. The change at 1:20 feels natural (love the swim noises).

This is so... weird. But so good! I'm thrown off (in a good way) by the minor notes in there. What source is that around 2:25? Paper Mario? As if this couldn't get better! Good ending too.

Overall, amazing mix. It's fresh, fun, and familiar. Gold star for you. Nice work, chumble spuzz.

(this was followed by the main theme to Mario Paint... awesome)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm making final (hopefully) adjustments tonight with regard to your suggestions, and it's sounding a lot better. I'm using a better ride at 2:25, and that cleans things up considerably. I also tweaked a few fills here and there to better play with the bassline. It's really shaping up! Thanks!

New version!

Edit: Sorry, glasfen, I missed your question. The source at 2:25 is the under-water music from Mario 3.

This version sounds much better. I love the leads at about 2:25 now, they really jump out at you. And that piano lead sounds awesome too.

Unfortunately, myspace music isn't always known for its streaming quality, so its kinda hard to tell how everything sounds together in high quality settings. But still man, this looks just about ready!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm making final (hopefully) adjustments tonight with regard to your suggestions, and it's sounding a lot better. I'm using a better ride at 2:25, and that cleans things up considerably. I also tweaked a few fills here and there to better play with the bassline. It's really shaping up! Thanks!

New version!

Edit: Sorry, glasfen, I missed your question. The source at 2:25 is the under-water music from Mario 3.

Yep, fixing that ride reaaaaaaaaally helped. I'd say that the lead at 2:25 sound much cleaner without all that clashing, so sorry for doubting your choice in synths ;-)

I'd totally download it like it is now so... I say submit. You might want to make a couple more tweaks, but I think it's developed nicely.

Cool, thanks guys! I'll be submitting really soon, here. Oh, and I should have mentioned that I also added a phaser to the lead, as per TheKrow's crit (must...please...everyone!) Doesn't affect much in the beginning, which is great, but it turns out that it really adds to the underwater vibe at 2:25, especially in headphones. So, thanks, TheKrow!

• 1 month later...